Help with an open starwell - AVS Forum
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > Help with an open starwell
Canadian Noobie's Avatar Canadian Noobie 10:04 AM 05-13-2014

First off, I'm a first time poster but the information on this forum has helped me greatly so far. Great Community!

So I'm 50% complete the renovation in my basement for my man living room and theater area. I have a pretty good understanding of what I need to do to soundproof the walls and ceiling. My problem is an open stairwell into the basement. The open stairwell is great for the basement is great for looks and feel (makes it feel like a main level room. The cost and impact of making this closed off would require to much money and structural changes, so closing it off permanently is off the table. 

Is there any options for treating the walls or stairs to help minimize the sound transfer. A paint to minimize sound bouncing up the opening or something like a bass trap? I have thought of a curtain system to pull across the stairwell opening when the theater is in use. 

BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 01:33 PM 05-13-2014
How about a sliding door (partition) at the bottom of the stairs? Do you have a picture of the stairwell?

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/install-a-sliding-barn-door.aspx
MrEscu's Avatar MrEscu 10:41 PM 05-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

How about a sliding door (partition) at the bottom of the stairs? Do you have a picture of the stairwell?

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/install-a-sliding-barn-door.aspx

I'm pretty sure that most residential codes require a landing at the bottom of the stair (minimum 3', I think), so you can't install a door directly at the bottom. Of course, requirements vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 05:51 AM 05-14-2014
that is why we need a picture
Canadian Noobie's Avatar Canadian Noobie 04:29 PM 05-14-2014

I have access in behind the all the walls of the stairwell. Everything around in the basement will be moderately soundproofed (insulation and double drywall), but I really don't know what to do with that opening.....I know I can't eliminate sound transfer, but would like the minimize it.

Anythoughts?

PS don't mind the mess, I'm currently working on other rooms in the basement.

BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 05:14 PM 05-14-2014
for under $500 you could create a vestibule with a door

Up
Mobile  Desktop