AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post
Another nice video! Fun to watch!

An overflow/kids/snack bar area would be a great use for that 13x10 room. The only downside I see is that you have to travel through the theater in order to get to it. Would be a bit more logical with the snacks before you get into the theater, but that's a minor compromise really.
Equipment in the mechanicals room makes sense also. All the stuff that makes things happen in one area. I'd be sure to set up some water leak monitors in a couple places though!
A very good point....snacks, ect. really should be before theater entry. Oh yeah, there will certainly be water leak monitors up there for sure! Can't get the equipment soaking wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 08-06-2014, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When putting in 2 layers of 5/8" with GG between both layers and between that and the ceiling is it easier to screw in the first layer of drywall w/GG then do the second or build the two layers together then add them to the ceiling ?? I don't know if the second version is scientifically flawed but seems easier.

Also, what size screws should you use so you don't overpenetrate the above floor? 1-5/8"? 2"?
post #93 of 104 Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatogod93 View Post
Also, what size screws should you use so you don't overpenetrate the above floor? 1-5/8"? 2"?
kind of depends on the thickness of your sub floor, assuming it is 3/4 and you are putting up 5/8 drywall you should use no longer than 1 1/4 for the first layer, even if you have hardwood floors, don't send the screws into the flooring, otherwise you will never be able to make changes in the flooring at some point in the future.

As for putting up two layers at once, I like to stagger the seams.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 104 Old 08-07-2014, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I apologize in advance, I asked the screw length question in the other thread as well...

post #95 of 104 Old 08-20-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Episode 5: Things That Go SUMP in the Night" is coming next week. Included will be:

1) Creation of an entryway by moving a sump-pump
2) Engineering a wider doorway on a load-bearing wall
3) Final framing

Oh....and my plans for walking the CEDIA Expo floor this year! heh heh.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #96 of 104 Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Episode 5 is Live!

Episode 5: Things That Go "Sump" In the Night

First post is also updated.
post #97 of 104 Old 08-26-2014, 05:39 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
looks good ..... for equipment room , why not make it little office that has pc for doing maintenance on the media pc , put a nice Av rack in one the corners in its own little closet, this way your maximizing your space, now it would be a equipment room/ office
make it look nice , couple led movie poster frames, Blue ray shelves ect.... just an idea

Falcon Screens

post #98 of 104 Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can someone tell me the purpose of these videos?

Link to my BUILD
post #99 of 104 Old 08-26-2014, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
looks good ..... for equipment room , why not make it little office that has pc for doing maintenance on the media pc , put a nice Av rack in one the corners in its own little closet, this way your maximizing your space, now it would be a equipment room/ office
make it look nice , couple led movie poster frames, Blue ray shelves ect.... just an idea
I may just do that. House my super-computer of the future and the equipment in a rack, and maybe also add blu ray storage shelves in there well. Thanks Rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Read the first post--it's in there.
post #100 of 104 Old 08-26-2014, 06:49 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
The Beast and I are rehearsing for our off off broadway play, The Theater King.

It will be a musical with dancers in tool belts, we just need to find some music and showgirls. We already have studs and a theater project.
E. Martin, thrak76 and BrolicBeast like this.

PROJECTS:

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-26-2014 at 09:42 AM.
post #101 of 104 Old 08-26-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Same purpose you have the link in your signature.

My Home Theater Build:
post #102 of 104 Old 08-30-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Another good entry, Brolic.
I wasn't sure what I was expecting with the sump pump relocation - I suppose I expected a complete relocation, but it makes much more sense to me now. Just a little shuffle off to the side.
It was amusing to see your genuine worry about the ceiling coming down with the removal of the header in the doorway!
post #103 of 104 Old 09-02-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post
Another good entry, Brolic.
I wasn't sure what I was expecting with the sump pump relocation - I suppose I expected a complete relocation, but it makes much more sense to me now. Just a little shuffle off to the side.
It was amusing to see your genuine worry about the ceiling coming down with the removal of the header in the doorway!
Thanks Thrak! Yeah, the sump pump wasn't a massive relocation to another room or anything, but my gosh--it took the plumbers literally all day. I underestimated the labor involved just with breaking the concrete, digging the dirt, hauling it up my basement stairs and around the house to their van, etc. There was a lot of work involved in that undertaking for sure. Man, that worry about the ceiling coming down was REAL!!! lol. I had never done structural work before. Even with the structural engineer's plans (who was a genius PhD whose company is based in Alexandria, VA), I still had a bit of concern regarding implementation. Thank God all went as planned!!!
post #104 of 104 Old 09-02-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
The Beast and I are rehearsing for our off off broadway play, The Theater King.

It will be a musical with dancers in tool belts, we just need to find some music and showgirls. We already have studs and a theater project.

was that a homonym? haha

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page