AVS Forum banner

VIDEO SERIES: Building "The Beast, Unleashed"

13K views 135 replies 36 participants last post by  BrolicBeast 
#1 · (Edited)
Building a theater is a very large undertaking that requires monetary and temporal sacrifice. The result, however, is extremely rewarding and provides a return on investment that is sentimentally invaluable.

As I build my theater, which I’ve dubbed The Beast, Unleashed, I have decided to chronicle the steps of the build in a web video series with episodes lasting between ten and twenty minutes each. I hope these videos prove to be enjoyable and educational, as I am also learning as I go (this is my first renovation project).

Click here to access the associated “The Beast, Unleashed” build thread.

"THE BEAST, UNLEASHED" VIDEO SERIES

Episode 1: The Naked Space

Episode 2: First Contact

Episode 3: The Fanatical Mechanical Move

Episode 4: I've Been Framed - Part 1

Episode 5: Things That Go "Sump" In the Night

Episode 6: The Road to Drywall

Episode 7: The Soffit and the Beast Riser

Episode 8: Baffled

Episode 9: Speakers & Seals

Episode 10: Swinging Speakers & Light Strips

Episode 11: Clouds and Carpet

Episode 12: Voice Control, Lighting, and More [/CENTER]

Late 2009: Transformation to First Projection System:​

Part 1:​

Part 2:​

Part 3:​

2011: Settled into Projection​

2012: Update​

Then, I discovered high-end in 2013:​

2014: Now, I'm building my DREAM THEATER!​

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm happy you found it helpful!

#4 ·
It's clear you are more OCD than I am as the patterns you used for applying green glue were nice and neat. It also appears that your bride used to decorate cakes or something as demonstrated with the agility and accuracy with which she applied green glue.

VERY cool that she is working on this with you. What a great way to get buy in --- so long as the sound doesn't leak through the house

#5 ·
OCD is absolutely the name of the game! Lol. My wife is great with cakes for sure! The natural talent easily carried over to the green-glue :)

#6 ·
Love the videos man! cant wait to see more! congrats on the theater! I am learning a lot of cool stuff from your videos since I know squat about building anything.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24719366

Love the videos man! cant wait to see more! congrats on the theater! I am learning a lot of cool stuff from your videos since I know squat about building anything.

*In British accent* Glad you like the videos, Mr. Wayne.! Lol...thanks Batman! I'm still learning myself, but as I learn, I share.

#8 ·
Very cool and informative . You guys deserve to be on DIY channel doing a series on HT building.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24719788

Very cool and informative . You guys deserve to be on DIY channel doing a series on HT building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24719935

2nd that!

Lol, thanks guys!

Vik, I'm going the triple-drywall route on double wall w/ clips and channel. I hear your soundproofing results are superb so I hope mine are just as good! But gosh, I ordered the soundproofing materials for three layers....the stuff gets wicked-expensive rather quickly!

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24720342

Lol, thanks guys!

Vik, I'm going the triple-drywall route on double wall w/ clips and channel. I hear your soundproofing results are superb so I hope mine are just as good! But gosh, I ordered the soundproofing materials for three layers....the stuff gets wicked-expensive rather quickly!

It will be absolutely worth it!

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24720359

Loved the video walk through of the naked space. Very informative to see the various obstacles and hear you explain the different design choices being contemplated.

(Also, the video format really appeals to my illiterate tendencies.)
Man, i prefer videos to reading too!  I scoured youtube looking for build content, but a lot of it is standard construction, or very brief clips of the specialized methods that we here at AVS love.  This was definitely one of the reasons I decided to shoot this series!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24720798

It will be absolutely worth it!
**clasps fingers together* Exxxxcellent Smithers, exxxxcellent.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24721094

Nice. Video idea is very... VERY cool !
Thanks and greetings I bid unto thee, ye father of the twins fraternal.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24721136

Hey Brolic, how you been. It's been awhile just want to say congrats and well done. Looking forward in watching more of your home theatre build👍
Thanks Frank!!!  Where have you been buddy???

#19 ·
Hey BB! Idk if you've disclosed this on your other threads or not, but what subs are you going to be running in this room? Are you going with 4 submersives or something else?? Also, where are you planning on placing them?

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24721168

Have been busy and was popping in and out of these forums. I wanted to check on how BB is doing and man you have done extremely well. Good on you my friend I reckon it's great. You will have a fantastic theatre.

Well, glad to see you back! I hope things have been "busy good" am don't "busy bad."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24721621

Hey BB! Idk if you've disclosed this on your other threads or not, but what subs are you going to be running in this room? Are you going with 4 submersives or something else?? Also, where are you planning on placing them?

The plan is to have two custom Seaton Submersives for the rear corners, and for the front corners, two top secret, undisclosed *special* subwoofers that I can't talk about yet from an undisclosed subwoofer manufacturer. Heh heh....it's going to be powerful enough to liquify bone

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24721708

Well, glad to see you back! I hope things have been "busy good" am don't "busy bad."

The plan is to have two custom Seaton Submersives for the rear corners, and for the front corners, two top secret, undisclosed *special* subwoofers that I can't talk about yet from an undisclosed subwoofer manufacturer. Heh heh....it's going to be powerful enough to liquify bone

haha niiicccee! cant wait!! I trust you will go into full detail with ur gear in the series? possibly more unboxing videos?

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24721740

haha niiicccee! cant wait!! I trust you will go into full detail with ur gear in the series? possibly more unboxing videos?
But of course, good sir! I've been dying to do an unboxing video of the Triad CinemaPlus Platinum LCRs, but the way they're packaged, they're designed to go from crate to baffle wall in a matter of minutes. I wouldn't stand them up on their own, since their dimensions don't really encourage that (59" tall and less than a foot deep. I can't risk dropping, or even scratching those babies.....I can't afford another set! Lol.

It'll get really get interesting when I start installing the Auro 3D speakers. Acoustic Frontiers is cooking up the full Auro3D design as we speak.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24721773

But of course, good sir! I've been dying to do an unboxing video of the Triad CinemaPlus Platinum LCRs, but the way they're packaged, they're designed to go from crate to baffle wall in a matter of minutes. I wouldn't stand them up on their own, since their dimensions don't really encourage that (59" tall and less than a foot deep. I can't risk dropping, or even scratching those babies.....I can't afford another set! Lol.

It'll get really get interesting when I start installing the Auro 3D speakers. Acoustic Frontiers is cooking up the full Auro3D design as we speak.

Love it!! I really can't wait for more updates. My fiancé looks at me like I'm insane when I get so excited over watching your videos or anyone's home theater videos for that matter. Sadly, she just doesn't understand the passion/hobby. She is, however, totally on board for me doing what you're doing when we finally have a house, so she's def a keeper
I liked seeing your woman helping you out too! You def picked a good one there man haha

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24722002

Love it!! I really can't wait for more updates. My fiancé looks at me like I'm insane when I get so excited over watching your videos or anyone's home theater videos for that matter. Sadly, she just doesn't understand the passion/hobby. She is, however, totally on board for me doing what you're doing when we finally have a house, so she's def a keeper
I liked seeing your woman helping you out too! You def picked a good one there man haha
Dude, as long as she's on board, make sure you keep those diamond upgrades coming every few years! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaw em Gophs  /t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed#post_24722433

Just want to say, I like the videos. Keep it up!
Glad you Gnaw Like em Gophs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.