Want a 3D render of you future home-theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 05-16-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi everybody. Just saw someone in the forum offer his help building 3D models, and thought I could do the same. So, if you´re interested in checking your future theater in 3D, perhaps I can help. In the last few years I’ve been using quite extensively Sketchup and other 3D software, and this experience proved to be invaluable to plan my home theater and other construction work we’re having in our house, so maybe it’s also useful to others.

If it’s a complex project involving riser/columns/other details, and/or requires 3D rendering and lighting I’d need to charge something, but if it’s a simple Sketchup model with the basic room’s shape I’d be happy to build it just for the joy of doing it. Of course, the more info you can give, the better the final result. Please provide accurate dimensions, and a clear explanation of what you need.

If you want to see some of my 3D stuff you can check my theater build thread here, or scroll down, I’ll post a few examples.
Mfusick and thrak76 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Silva741; 08-20-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-16-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 42
That is nice of you, what all kind of information do you need?

Thanks!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 05-17-2014, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Besides the dimensions, I'd need as much detail as possible regarding the layout and furniture's placement, speakers (also of their type and size), screen format and size, colors, and everything else that is considered important, in a clear explanation. Having 2D drawings would be a nice plus, but I guess not everyone has them.

Actually, thinking about it and how my home-theater project evolved, it’d be nice to know the main doubts (if any) that the person has regarding the room: “I’m trying to find out if a 2.35 screen would look good so near the walls”, or “if a 2nd row of seats is visually pleasing”, or “if this color scheme is pleasant looking”, this way I could focus more in certain points.

My time is limited, so the best method to make this is probably to build a simple model as a start, basically just the walls and main features, and from there through PM or mail I'd change and add details according to the person's feedback.

post #4 of 36 Old 07-08-2014, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Long time since my previous post here, kmhvball’s room kept me quite busy, it turned out to be more complex than anticipated with lots of stuff to model, and also many adjustments and changes that we made during this process. Modeling all the lights and the Palliser chairs was probably the hardest part, but in the end I was able to make them very accurate.

Anyway, still some work to do regarding the columns and a few other things, but in any case I’ll leave here a few renders.

Dizzy49 and BllDo like this.
post #5 of 36 Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
That looks really good. What software package do you use?
Silva741 likes this.

------

post #6 of 36 Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 PM

There are a few more renders Silva741 did on my thread. He ran a couple of different colors for me which I have posted.

He also did renderings of some patterned fabrics as well, which, helped me eliminate those all together based on how 'busy' they looked to me.

Some other things not shown on my thread which were rendered included, placements of the lights on the fabric panels vs the columns, a few height locations of the Sconces, and a few different locations/ lay outs of the columns.

The biggest help for me was that this process made me really think through my room lay-out, and where things would be... I had to move my door into the AVS closet to achieve the final column design look I wanted. This also helps nail down where I need to run all my electric & speaker wiring, knowing what I want the end product to look like. Some of the early 3d work helped me 'visualize' how I wanted my Riser to work as well.
Silva741 likes this.

Thanks!

Kevin

post #7 of 36 Old 07-09-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 824
I really need to learn how to render... I wish that's something I could do
Silva741 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 36 Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Yeah this is a really nice service. I really wanted to do this while I was designing my theater. You can instead view my amazing freestyle pencil sketch lol (overhead stick figure drawing for the most part)
Mfusick and Silva741 like this.

post #9 of 36 Old 07-09-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
That looks really good. What software package do you use?
Just sketchup and an old version of v ray. Well, and Photoshop to treat the floor carpet texture sent by kmhvball, and a few others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I really need to learn how to render... I wish that's something I could do
It’s not that hard, really. To get good results it’s necessary time, for sure, but it’s worth it. The trick to make it look realistic is modeling ALL the lights, in this case there are many, all different, and from there we can test and adjust everything till it looks right. It's very cool to see the room come to life. I’ve a few renders with different lighting, tomorrow I’ll make an animated gif.

But I think everyone should learn basic modeling, at least. Actually, when I started this room I thought about making a few pics showing the behind the scenes process of modeling and rendering, but forgot about it. I have some images of the 3D modeling portion, but probably it wouldn’t make sense to post only those.
post #10 of 36 Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I should just hire you to render mine... lol

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 36 Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Yeah this is a really nice service. I really wanted to do this while I was designing my theater. You can instead view my amazing freestyle pencil sketch lol (overhead stick figure drawing for the most part)
This is my style !

-

post #12 of 36 Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I may be hitting you up later to help with mine. My wife is nervous how things will look and she is VERY visual whereas I am the polar opposite. If the math works out and says we will fit, then damnit, we will fit, even if we have to stack on top of each other!

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

post #13 of 36 Old 07-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Some of those home improvement shows on HGTV use SketchUp and some of their rendering plugins.

My Home Theater Build:
post #14 of 36 Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
All these replies and no mention of McDonald's and Jack Daniels in the theater?

War Eagle!
post #15 of 36 Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post
All these replies and no mention of McDonald's and Jack Daniels in the theater?
Funny you say that, my 4yr old daughter was on my lap asking what I was going, and I said I was looking at theaters. She said, "Oh daddy I see your theater, and you left your McDonalds in it!" I about fell out of my chair laughing. *I* noticed the JD and chuckled, but didn't want to say anything

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

post #16 of 36 Old 07-10-2014, 04:44 AM

Here are two more images...

I was debating these patterned images, and seeing them Rendered made me (and in a particular my wife), think they were too busy.

Part of this fabric selection also influenced 'column lay-out'. You'll see columns in the very back corner of the theater in this image, which was somewhat dictated by the 'width' of Fabric Panels and lay-out of the room. The 'solid colors' come in wider widths, so, this let me space the columns differently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Larger Circle Fabric Panels.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	155386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swervy Dots Panels.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	155394  

Thanks!

Kevin

Last edited by kmhvball; 07-10-2014 at 04:46 AM. Reason: edit photos
post #17 of 36 Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I like the pattern...the top 'zig-zag' one especially. Adds a lot of flair to the room over plain 'ol solid fabric.

post #18 of 36 Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I like the pattern...the top 'zig-zag' one especially. Adds a lot of flair to the room over plain 'ol solid fabric.
I was hoping to get reinforcement that it was too busy... I like the Zig-Zag one too, as it does at least look a little different. Hmmmm... I may need to think about my column lay-out again... although, wiring electric this weekend hopefully, so, will need to decide soon.

Thanks!

Kevin

post #19 of 36 Old 07-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

I second the zig-zag over the other pattern.

I didn't think I'd the pattern over the solid (I'm a bit OCD and tend to prefer solids), but I like the zig zag over the solid.

Sean Hull

post #20 of 36 Old 07-10-2014, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy49 View Post
Funny you say that, my 4yr old daughter was on my lap asking what I was going, and I said I was looking at theaters. She said, "Oh daddy I see your theater, and you left your McDonalds in it!" I about fell out of my chair laughing. *I* noticed the JD and chuckled, but didn't want to say anything
That’s really cool. My nephew is also easy to fool when I show him some of my 3D stuff.

Regarding the fabric I think the patterns look nice, but personally I side with Kevin’s wife.
My preference would probably go to black on black, but I think even the other color schemes look very cool (check animated gif below). But black-black, hmm, I’d love to have that in my theater. SWMBO wouldn’t, though.

post #21 of 36 Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

I like the black on black as well, but I like monochromatic, and the "black hole" look.

Sean Hull

post #22 of 36 Old 07-11-2014, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Care to tackle another one?
post #23 of 36 Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchambers_18 View Post
Care to tackle another one?
This week I got a couple other requests, which may or not be simple, but send me a PM with what you have in mind and I’ll try to help.

As promised above, here’s the .gif with some different lighting settings I tested for kmhvball. Personally, lighting is my favorite part, because lights define the whole feel of a room quite dramatically. In this case there are 10 sconces (each has 3 lights: top, down, and side), 12 ceiling spotlights, and 3 screen lights. So, a total of 45 lights, with each being fully adjustable in color, intensity, and other parameters. Really cool stuff.

The 4 images show:
- All lights OFF – movie playing
- Screen lights ON
- All sconces ON, screen lights ON
- Ceiling lights ON, everything else OFF

post #24 of 36 Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Very nice
post #25 of 36 Old 07-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Very cool, I looked at the images and figured out what everything was before I read what each image was. Well done.

Sean Hull

post #26 of 36 Old 08-20-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

I updated the first post, highlighting the need for clear info. Accurate dimensions are obviously a must, and a clear explanation of what the person wants and needs is also crucial. Of course, if the room doesn't exist yet, the focus is on what the restrictions are, the desired type of theater, and so on.

Unfortunately some persons seem to think a couple short paragraphs and room description along the lines of “it’s around 14 by 18”, plus a link to a thread with a room they like, is enough to create their dream room. 3D modeling is NOT something that appears magically out of thin air, it’s usually a long process requiring lots of discussion with many details to achieve a happy outcome. A single room can easily require dozens of hours of work, so please face this seriously. Sadly a good percentage of ppl contacting me either aren’t aware of this, or choose to forget it as soon as the work is done.

At least for now I’ll keep offering my help, but if you contact please, please, please make sure you have correct info, it saves me a lot of trouble not having to correct later. Creating a 3D model can be fun, but having to redo almost everything isn’t. lol

Last edited by Silva741; 08-22-2014 at 05:09 AM.
post #27 of 36 Old 08-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

I'm waiting until my design is done before I contact you

Sean Hull

post #28 of 36 Old 08-22-2014, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy49 View Post
I'm waiting until my design is done before I contact you
Sure. Yesterday I saw the prints/images you intend to put on your basement, they look very cool. How big will they be? In any case, it’d be fun to make the model and play with colors, placement of prints around the room, and so on.

post #29 of 36 Old 08-22-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
I updated the first post, highlighting the need for clear info. Accurate dimensions are obviously a must, and a clear explanation of what the person wants and needs is also crucial. Of course, if the room doesn't exist yet, the focus is on what the restrictions are, the desired type of theater, and so on.

Unfortunately some persons seem to think a couple short paragraphs and room description along the lines of “it’s around 14 by 18”, plus a link to a thread with a room they like, is enough to create their dream room. 3D modeling is NOT something that appears magically out of thin air, it’s usually a long process requiring lots of discussion with many details to achieve a happy outcome. A single room can easily require dozens of hours of work, so please face this seriously. Sadly a good percentage of ppl contacting me either aren’t aware of this, or choose to forget it as soon as the work is done.

At least for now I’ll keep offering my help, but if you contact please, please, please make sure you have correct info, it saves me a lot of trouble not having to correct later. Creating a 3D model can be fun, but having to redo almost everything isn’t. lol
Welcome to the club!! .

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

post #30 of 36 Old 08-22-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post
Welcome to the club!! .
Try doing it for a living, am I right?

------

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page