Will TVs Replace Front Projection in Dedicated Home Theaters? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraejtp View Post

Another thing to consider is that cheap ~90" televisions were available (rear projection, DLP) which didn't last in the market, and did not typically substitute for a front projection setup.

The large DLP's, while the cabinets were much smaller than their CRT ancestors, are still much more difficult to place in a room (and more obtrusive) than a wall-mounted flat panel or a projector. They didn't last because the market for such large screens is small anyway, those products were still too bulky to display and warehouse, and the number of households that had the space to land that footprint, just put it into a very small niche. Then with inexpensive flat panels eating away all the market share of the other DLP sizes, and now you're dropping huge R&D on just a few models...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I for example do not care in the least that I can't watch in a bright room(I can watch with ambient lighting though I prefer not to).
Maybe I should be posing this question over on one of the FP forum threads, but I have to say that both you and scubasteve2365 have opened my eyes with this discussion. I am in the midst of re-doing my basement 'man cave' into an HT room and was planning on switching from my current RP 60" Pany to the new Sony 4k 500/600 FP .. but this whole discussion about ambient light puts things in a new perspective. I have room for a 100+" screen and have complete control over ambient light coming in from outside .. but just now realized that 'ambient light' also includes those times where you may want to add light for social reasons. I also primarily watch TV and sports and rarely movies (although that might increase) and I usually have some lamps on in the room .. so maybe this just kills the effectiveness of a FP and would make it a silly choice. Is there some kind of 'ambient lighting' (eg. led strip lighting around the ceiling or dimmable downlighting alone the walls) which provides some 'social lighting' without impacting the FP as much?
Sorry for the dumb question .. I have no practical experience with this .. but this 'dual use' of an HT might be another reason to go with a large TV over FP.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post

Sorry for the dumb question .. I have no practical experience with this .. but this 'dual use' of an HT might be another reason to go with a large TV over FP.

IMO that is THE reason to go with a large flat panel over a projector setup. Non-dedicated game room, sports-watching, etc. Especially if movies is in the minority of the mix.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 05-26-2014, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 3391
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I for example do not care in the least that I can't watch in a bright room(I can watch with ambient lighting though I prefer not to).
Maybe I should be posing this question over on one of the FP forum threads, but I have to say that both you and scubasteve2365 have opened my eyes with this discussion. I am in the midst of re-doing my basement 'man cave' into an HT room and was planning on switching from my current RP 60" Pany to the new Sony 4k 500/600 FP .. but this whole discussion about ambient light puts things in a new perspective. I have room for a 100+" screen and have complete control over ambient light coming in from outside .. but just now realized that 'ambient light' also includes those times where you may want to add light for social reasons. I also primarily watch TV and sports and rarely movies (although that might increase) and I usually have some lamps on in the room .. so maybe this just kills the effectiveness of a FP and would make it a silly choice. Is there some kind of 'ambient lighting' (eg. led strip lighting around the ceiling or dimmable downlighting alone the walls) which provides some 'social lighting' without impacting the FP as much?

What you can do is use targeted spot lighting and dark decor. You want to avoid casting, or reflecting, ambient light onto the screen. Front projection still looks good with dim ambient light, especially if it's controlled (ceiling-mounted spots that point down).

Mark Henninger
Old 05-26-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
We had a family room where I used black out cell shades to cover windows in the rear half of the room and split the lighting so that the rear half of the room (with recessed lighting) was controllable separately from the front half (where the screen was). I was able to work on my computer in the rear half of the room with no problems while others watched movies, sports, etc. I used a similar technique for the Super Bowl and other sporting events. No problems and I used the projector (a Samsung) on Theater Mode, and not even high power output.

Bob
Old 05-26-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

What you can do is use targeted spot lighting and dark decor. You want to avoid casting, or reflecting, ambient light onto the screen. Front projection still looks good with dim ambient light, especially if it's controlled (ceiling-mounted spots that point down).
Tks for this .. and for similar comments from ctviggen.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

As Mark said: if you plan your lighting then you can still get a superb projected image with some task lighting on.

My room has a dark rug and sofa, and I used rows of focused pot lights. I can have the pot lights on over the seating area and since the light is focused there, not at the screen, and since the darker sofa and rug don't
spread the light, the projected image stays really vivid and not washed out.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 72
These new TV sets least a couple years now, what about the UHD sets? will they too be only good a few years? My CRT is like so old yet still gives a 1st class PQ!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Unless your CRT is at least 50" 16:9 and can actually do 1080p, then your CRT can not yield "1st class PQ"

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Old 06-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 178
When i built my home theater i thought an 84" display would be appropriate.

Along the way it became a motorized 92" in 2.35:1 - dropping the screen makes me feel like i'm in the cinema.

To my fellow film buffs, would you rather watch a movie at home on a large flat panel or projection?
Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
When i built my home theater i thought an 84" display would be appropriate.

Along the way it became a motorized 92" in 2.35:1 - dropping the screen makes me feel like i'm in the cinema.

To my fellow film buffs, would you rather watch a movie at home on a large flat panel or projection?
Large projection screen - no contest.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If anything, projection is the future, and not fixed-size static devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement