Will TVs Replace Front Projection in Dedicated Home Theaters? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,497
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraejtp View Post

Another thing to consider is that cheap ~90" televisions were available (rear projection, DLP) which didn't last in the market, and did not typically substitute for a front projection setup.

The large DLP's, while the cabinets were much smaller than their CRT ancestors, are still much more difficult to place in a room (and more obtrusive) than a wall-mounted flat panel or a projector. They didn't last because the market for such large screens is small anyway, those products were still too bulky to display and warehouse, and the number of households that had the space to land that footprint, just put it into a very small niche. Then with inexpensive flat panels eating away all the market share of the other DLP sizes, and now you're dropping huge R&D on just a few models...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-26-2014, 12:24 AM
Member
 
IanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Regina, SK Canada
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I for example do not care in the least that I can't watch in a bright room(I can watch with ambient lighting though I prefer not to).
Maybe I should be posing this question over on one of the FP forum threads, but I have to say that both you and scubasteve2365 have opened my eyes with this discussion. I am in the midst of re-doing my basement 'man cave' into an HT room and was planning on switching from my current RP 60" Pany to the new Sony 4k 500/600 FP .. but this whole discussion about ambient light puts things in a new perspective. I have room for a 100+" screen and have complete control over ambient light coming in from outside .. but just now realized that 'ambient light' also includes those times where you may want to add light for social reasons. I also primarily watch TV and sports and rarely movies (although that might increase) and I usually have some lamps on in the room .. so maybe this just kills the effectiveness of a FP and would make it a silly choice. Is there some kind of 'ambient lighting' (eg. led strip lighting around the ceiling or dimmable downlighting alone the walls) which provides some 'social lighting' without impacting the FP as much?
Sorry for the dumb question .. I have no practical experience with this .. but this 'dual use' of an HT might be another reason to go with a large TV over FP.
IanR is offline  
Old 05-26-2014, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,497
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post

Sorry for the dumb question .. I have no practical experience with this .. but this 'dual use' of an HT might be another reason to go with a large TV over FP.

IMO that is THE reason to go with a large flat panel over a projector setup. Non-dedicated game room, sports-watching, etc. Especially if movies is in the minority of the mix.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 05-26-2014, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,763
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 3391
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I for example do not care in the least that I can't watch in a bright room(I can watch with ambient lighting though I prefer not to).
Maybe I should be posing this question over on one of the FP forum threads, but I have to say that both you and scubasteve2365 have opened my eyes with this discussion. I am in the midst of re-doing my basement 'man cave' into an HT room and was planning on switching from my current RP 60" Pany to the new Sony 4k 500/600 FP .. but this whole discussion about ambient light puts things in a new perspective. I have room for a 100+" screen and have complete control over ambient light coming in from outside .. but just now realized that 'ambient light' also includes those times where you may want to add light for social reasons. I also primarily watch TV and sports and rarely movies (although that might increase) and I usually have some lamps on in the room .. so maybe this just kills the effectiveness of a FP and would make it a silly choice. Is there some kind of 'ambient lighting' (eg. led strip lighting around the ceiling or dimmable downlighting alone the walls) which provides some 'social lighting' without impacting the FP as much?
Sorry for the dumb question .. I have no practical experience with this .. but this 'dual use' of an HT might be another reason to go with a large TV over FP.

 

What you can do is use targeted spot lighting and dark decor. You want to avoid casting, or reflecting, ambient light onto the screen. Front projection still looks good with dim ambient light, especially if it's controlled (ceiling-mounted spots that point down).


Mark Henninger
imagic is online now  
Old 05-26-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ctviggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
We had a family room where I used black out cell shades to cover windows in the rear half of the room and split the lighting so that the rear half of the room (with recessed lighting) was controllable separately from the front half (where the screen was). I was able to work on my computer in the rear half of the room with no problems while others watched movies, sports, etc. I used a similar technique for the Super Bowl and other sporting events. No problems and I used the projector (a Samsung) on Theater Mode, and not even high power output.

Bob
ctviggen is offline  
Old 05-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Member
 
IanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Regina, SK Canada
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

What you can do is use targeted spot lighting and dark decor. You want to avoid casting, or reflecting, ambient light onto the screen. Front projection still looks good with dim ambient light, especially if it's controlled (ceiling-mounted spots that point down).
Tks for this .. and for similar comments from ctviggen.
IanR is offline  
Old 05-26-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post

Maybe I should be posing this question over on one of the FP forum threads, but I have to say that both you and scubasteve2365 have opened my eyes with this discussion. I am in the midst of re-doing my basement 'man cave' into an HT room and was planning on switching from my current RP 60" Pany to the new Sony 4k 500/600 FP .. but this whole discussion about ambient light puts things in a new perspective. I have room for a 100+" screen and have complete control over ambient light coming in from outside .. but just now realized that 'ambient light' also includes those times where you may want to add light for social reasons. I also primarily watch TV and sports and rarely movies (although that might increase) and I usually have some lamps on in the room .. so maybe this just kills the effectiveness of a FP and would make it a silly choice. Is there some kind of 'ambient lighting' (eg. led strip lighting around the ceiling or dimmable downlighting alone the walls) which provides some 'social lighting' without impacting the FP as much?
Sorry for the dumb question .. I have no practical experience with this .. but this 'dual use' of an HT might be another reason to go with a large TV over FP.

As Mark said: if you plan your lighting then you can still get a superb projected image with some task lighting on.

My room has a dark rug and sofa, and I used rows of focused pot lights. I can have the pot lights on over the seating area and since the light is focused there, not at the screen, and since the darker sofa and rug don't
spread the light, the projected image stays really vivid and not washed out.
R Harkness is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
quad4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: here
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 72
These new TV sets least a couple years now, what about the UHD sets? will they too be only good a few years? My CRT is like so old yet still gives a 1st class PQ!
quad4.0 is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 9,676
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Unless your CRT is at least 50" 16:9 and can actually do 1080p, then your CRT can not yield "1st class PQ"

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

David Susilo is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Orbitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 178
When i built my home theater i thought an 84" display would be appropriate.

Along the way it became a motorized 92" in 2.35:1 - dropping the screen makes me feel like i'm in the cinema.

To my fellow film buffs, would you rather watch a movie at home on a large flat panel or projection?
Orbitron is online now  
Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
LeBon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pebble Beach, CA
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
When i built my home theater i thought an 84" display would be appropriate.

Along the way it became a motorized 92" in 2.35:1 - dropping the screen makes me feel like i'm in the cinema.

To my fellow film buffs, would you rather watch a movie at home on a large flat panel or projection?
Large projection screen - no contest.
LeBon is offline  
Old 07-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Member
 
aftcomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If anything, projection is the future, and not fixed-size static devices.
aftcomet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off