Very New to the Home Theatre Regimen and,,,,, - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-23-2014, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
am looking for the least expensive (yet still effective) way to soundproof the area. The Theatre will have a JVC D-ILAx35 and 100" screen. Dimensions of the basement room are 15 feet wide by 23 feet long.

My big problem is that the area has been finished by the previous owner as strictly space for his kids to play. The floor is engineered hardwood and the ceiling is drywall'd.

Is there any soundproofing regiment that would allow me to keep the ceiling as it is> I don't relish tearing down the ceiling if I can avoid it, but since this new place is a bungalow the ceiling pretty well lines up perfectly with most major rooms on the 1st floor - including the master bedroom. I can just hear it now - the foot stomping down the steps to the basement with yet another demand to turn the volume down.

Which kinda negates the raison d'etre of even having a home theatre.

Any advice, ladies and gentlemen?

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-23-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
You'll get lots of opinions here, but I'd suggest calling Ted and John at The Soundproofing Company. They're experts and good people, and they'll work within your constraints to achieve the best result.
www.soundproofingcompany.com

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-23-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
least expensive yet still effective is the criteria I've adhered to so far in my build, including labor, with one exception where I'll have a pro do it instead- mudding. Most here have as well.

The dilemma you'll likely encounter is the following:

A- No demo. Just add Green Glue and another sheet of 5/8 type X drywall over the existing walls and ceiling.

or

B- dive into the deep end and tear it all out and start over with adding insulation, clips and channel, then double 5/8 drywall and GG sandwich.

If you do A, you may be unsatisfied, disappointed, etc, but won't go back to option B, at least not near term.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-23-2014, 12:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Demoing a room of that size is a one day project including ceiling and walls. then you can soundproof it correctly. You should be installing two layers of 5/8 Drywall directly underneath the subfloor with the Green Glue dampening agent, then adding insulation. Last hang two layers of 5/8 drywall with GG on a clips and channel system. Of course then there are the walls and other issues like the door and wall penetrations to deal with. You should budget $2000 extra above the cost of just drywalling a room for all the soundproofing supplies you will need. That investment will yield a tremendous ROI as you can crank it without receiving complaints from the boss.
The Pendragon likes this.

PROJECTS:

post #5 of 5 Old 05-27-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info, gentlemen - it has been most helpful. I'll be sure to send along some before-during-after pics of the "Blue Eagle Movie Theatre and Lounge" - as the become available.

Once again, many thanks!

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page