First Row Viewing distance with 130" wide AT screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok I know this can be subjective. There are calculators for recommendations and one people actually enjoy. I am currently framing the riser and stage in my theater. The room itself is 24'-7" Long by 15'-6"wide. I plan on having a AT screen. I am trying to place my front row chairs so I know how deep to build the riser. I do know the riser should be at least 78" deep for reclining chairs. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 343
So two rows total?

And while you should be sizing the screen based on the seating positions, not the other way 'round, you're in the right ballpark anyway. My screen is 125" wide (2.35, 136" diagonal), front row at 9'. With only two rows I'd push back another foot, say 10' from the screen, with the second row at 16.5'. Which puts the riser 11'-ish feet from the screen, which should be 2' from the wall for a good false wall depth...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes there will be two rows total. Also trying not to have any of the rows in the middle of the room. 10' sure does seem close to a 130" scope screen. I might have to put a sheet up or tape a screen out and check what it feels like from that distance. I of course also do not want the back row against the rear wall. Looks like I should be able to do that given the space. Your room is beautiful by the way.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Yes there will be two rows total. Also trying not to have any of the rows in the middle of the room. 10' sure does seem close to a 130" scope screen. I might have to put a sheet up or tape a screen out and check what it feels like from that distance.

That would be the best thing to do...
Quote:
I of course also do not want the back row against the rear wall. Looks like I should be able to do that given the space. Your room is beautiful by the way.

Thanks. For multiple rows, there is a compromise - only one distance is "perfect". So figure out where you want the "best" seat to be, and adjust from there to make sure the other row isn't too big or too small. I worked back from the front row - make it as big as possible, with the goal of having the best set be in the 2nd row. But that will depend on your choice of primary seating location.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

10' sure does seem close to a 130" scope screen. I might have to put a sheet up or tape a screen out and check what it feels like from that distance.
I have a 130" AT screen and while I have planned for 2 rows, I only have 1 row currently. The row on the riser sits just about 14' from the screen and is our primary seating location. We have some Big Joe bean bag chairs as overflow seating on the floor in front of the riser and I'd guess they're about 9-10' from the screen. I've watched several movies and Sporting events from this spot and never felt the screen was too big. It seems like it would be on paper, but in reality, it's not. On another note, I have a Seymour XD screen and even at 9' I cannot see the weave pattern.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #6 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This is helpful as I am trying to finish planning my 2 rows of recliners and my bartop seating. I too plan to do a 130" wide 16x9 AT Screen. My first row is most likely going to be at 11' with the second row at 17-18' and the bar top at 21'.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 204
12.5 feet from 1st row to screen. Screen is 2.37 ratio and is 12 ft wide.

Your seating to screen ratio is a little closer than mine. Btw, I love 1.0 seating ratio for viewing! wink.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
12ft wide scope and my head is 11ft from screen fully reclined

people love it, very immersive. stay at 1.0 or slightly less imo....never over
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page