• 1 Post By Tedd
  • 1 Post By Tedd

post #1 of 23 Old 06-10-2014, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Current Basement:

So this is our basement. My wife and I are wanting to finish the space and add a bedroom (for occasional guests) and a shower to the half bath. I have support for building a dedicated theater space as long as I add the bedroom and shower. Sweeeeet!!!

I've been wanting a dedicated space like this for 15 years. The basement has some limitations (as I'm sure most do) and I'm trying to wrap my head around how to best lay everything out and make the best use of space for the lowest cost.

Likely, the bedroom and shower will be completed before I start on the theater, but I need to come up with a plan for the theater before we touch anything down there.

Wants
  1. 2.35 AT screen
  2. At least 6 total seats in two rows
  3. Soundproofing
  4. A stage up front would be nice

Limitations
  1. The ceilings are low (7'3" from the floor to the tile on the ceiling)
  2. Support beams limit how rooms can be configured
  3. The space that I think makes the most sense for the theater has a bathroom on what would be the rear wall (worried about moisture and adding an additional door in the soundproofed room)
  4. Air supply for basement runs from attic. There is a single supply and it runs into the proposed theater area through a closet in an upstairs bedroom. There is an air return at the top of the basement stairs.
  5. Low ceilings limit HVAC options since I don't think I can run duct work.

Proposed Theater Space 1
This gives me the largest room and includes a door to the bathroom in the back of the theater.

Proposed Theater Space 2
This is another idea that avoids having the bathroom connected to the theater.

To Do
  • Figure out HVAC (is mini-split my only option?). If I go with a mini-split then I have to figure out where to put dead vents.
  • Place Equipment Rack (preferably outside of the room)

What do you guys think? Can I make this happen? I've never done this type of work before and I want to make sure I don't make any incorrect assumptions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 738
is moving the bathroom an option?
post #3 of 23 Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 PM

Liked: 16
Do you think something like this would work for you?

post #4 of 23 Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
is moving the bathroom an option?
I hadn't considered that before, since I assumed it would be too expensive. But, I'm open to exploring it. With that said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD S View Post
Do you think something like this would work for you?
Great idea. I love having the theater space go from wall to wall. This does present some challenges though.

First, the bedroom. This would leave the bedroom with an exterior door coming into it which isn't ideal, but I think would work. The main issue with this door is that it's right up against the wall. I'm not sure how you would frame and insulate around the door area. I'm sure the door could be moved over slightly, but that's more expense. The basement is cinderblock with rows of brick in-between and brick on the outside, so if the door was moved, there would have to be a some exterior brick work done.

Second, the bathroom. The area over the current washer/dryer where the proposed shower would go has quite a few overhead pipes that ~5-6" lower than the rest of the ceiling (7'3").

I think just having the washer/dryer stacked there might work though. I guess I'll need to have a drop ceiling there or something to leave access to the pipes.

Also, I'm trying to relocate the hot water heater (electric). Is it ok to have this in the bathroom? I can probably hide it with some cabinetry or something.

The bathroom wall that goes under the stairs also has a lot of plumbing in it. I think this is where the water comes into the house and also where the drain is, but I'm not 100% sure.

The rough budget for this project is $40k. I figure $30k for all the construction and $10k for equipment. Does this look on track for this space?
post #5 of 23 Old 06-12-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Front load washer dryer could be worked in under the stairs. Might need to narrow the theater a little to accomplish this
but you could then plant that air supply into a shallow soffit. Water tank would be moved over, with the av rack built in above.

This would mean some new drains in the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	option.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	112249   Click image for larger version

Name:	smaller theater option.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	112257  
tbooth likes this.
post #6 of 23 Old 06-12-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
On my previous theater, I had the same issue with ceiling height.

7'3'' might make your space cramped -- no matter how big it is in other dimensions.

I paid a little extra at that time to have stuff moved around. With a drop ceiling, you can gain valuable inches by moving piping/cables/etc. to the edges of the room and enclose them in soffits...or you re-route them to run with the support beams and then enclose them.

John
post #7 of 23 Old 06-13-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

How about a row style to give a more compact seating arrangement along with a baffle wall/DIY AT screen?
You could plant the bar seating on a low riser, or use taller seating at floor level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	another.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	113433  
post #8 of 23 Old 06-13-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Front load washer dryer could be worked in under the stairs. Might need to narrow the theater a little to accomplish this
but you could then plant that air supply into a shallow soffit. Water tank would be moved over, with the av rack built in above.

This would mean some new drains in the floor.
Thanks for the ideas Tedd.

I like the first plan the best. I need to get some quotes on moving the plumbing. I'm kinda worried about how expensive that will be, but it will give me the best theater. I can sacrifice some AV gear now and upgrade later, the room will not change after it's built.

Is there any type of plumbing in a house that can't be relocated? The plumbing that brings water into the house seems like it would be pretty "set in stone".

I'm not familiar with the baffle wall concept. I'll have to look into that.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Once I get the plumbing taken care of I'd like to tackle the HVAC. The existing air supply in the theater can't stay and will be routed to the bedroom.

Has anyone put traditional ductwork into a theater with a low ceiling? Or will a mini split be the only option? The floor plan is getting tight to fit in dead vents. What kind of foot print do the dead vents need to be effective?
post #10 of 23 Old 06-14-2014, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Five soffits at 80", a 7'1" ceiling height, and it's narrow at 9'5" wide.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rebuilt hvac.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	115265  
post #11 of 23 Old 06-14-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Working on less walls and keeping plumbing costs down to a minimum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yet another.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	117257  
post #12 of 23 Old 06-15-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Partially opened up staircase wall with angled feature wall. Shallow soffit from theater extended
out to lobby area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	angled wall.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	118290   Click image for larger version

Name:	angled wall wider with columns.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	118298  
tbooth likes this.
post #13 of 23 Old 06-20-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tedd! I think I'm going to take all of your ideas and create a "Plan A" and "Plan B". "Plan B" will be used if moving the plumbing becomes cost prohibitive.

"Plan A"

After thinking about HVAC, I really want to avoid having a mini split in the room. I'm thinking the air handler for a ducted mini split system can go in the closet/storage area (the heat pump for the rest of the house is on the other side of this exterior wall) and I can run a supply and return in soffits easily through the wall.

I'm still not sure how best to run supplies returns for the rest of the downstairs, or if I should get the system for just this room. I suppose I'll still need something to bring fresh air in to the theater.

"Plan B"

post #14 of 23 Old 06-20-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The red soffits in the theater and matching height ceiling in the hallway, was all about creating space
for shallow height / wider profile HVAC sheet metal.

The tighter seating was to conserve room depth and height.

Last edited by Tedd; 06-20-2014 at 08:16 PM.
post #15 of 23 Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The red soffits in the theater and matching height ceiling in the hallway, was all about creating space
for shallow height / wider profile HVAC sheet metal.

The tighter seating was to conserve room depth and height.
Ahh, gotcha. Is it still possible to prevent flanking with sheet metal HVAC?
post #16 of 23 Old 06-23-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Multiple layers of drywall with Green Glue.
post #17 of 23 Old 06-26-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Another thought:

The area beneath the stair stringer being kept open where it's headroom and above. The laundry
is kept open with a countertop over the washer, dryer, and hot water tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plan AB.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	136226  

Last edited by Tedd; 06-26-2014 at 05:09 AM.
post #18 of 23 Old 06-26-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

The rough budget for this project is $40k. I figure $30k for all the construction and $10k for equipment. Does this look on track for this space?
LOL, mine is the other way around so far

There is so much to figure in. Unless I missed it, are you doing the work? Just make sure you add everything up, I mean chairs can be 3K alone and that is 6 at middle of the road. So manny little things that add up also. You can look in the classifieds here and find nice stuff and you can save allot of $$$.
post #19 of 23 Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
LOL, mine is the other way around so far

There is so much to figure in. Unless I missed it, are you doing the work? Just make sure you add everything up, I mean chairs can be 3K alone and that is 6 at middle of the road. So manny little things that add up also. You can look in the classifieds here and find nice stuff and you can save allot of $$$.

Hehe. I'm not sure how everything will go. I'd like to do anything I can, but I've honestly never built anything before. I'm pretty sure I don't want to finish drywall, and it seems like a lot of drywall guys won't finish drywall that someone else has hung, so I man be hiring out all the drywall. I also won't do the electrical or plumbing (that doesn't leave a lot for me to do I guess ). I just don't want to make any mistakes that are expensive to fix or that will make the space dangerous to be in.

As far as the seating goes, I'll probably start with a couple of nice chairs for the wife and I and then slowly get additional seating. I'd like to leave myself $5k for the projector as well. The budget will probably change a bit. My goal is to start with the best possible theater room.

I hope the construction costs will be less than $30k, but I'm definitely going to need to put in some HVAC and, at a minimum tear up the floor to add a drain for a shower. I figure those two things will probably be the priciest single items.
post #20 of 23 Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Another thought:

The area beneath the stair stringer being kept open where it's headroom and above. The laundry
is kept open with a countertop over the washer, dryer, and hot water tank.

That could work, I like the idea of utilizing as much area under the stairs space as possible.
post #21 of 23 Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hehe. I'm not sure how everything will go. I'd like to do anything I can, but I've honestly never built anything before. I'm pretty sure I don't want to finish drywall, and it seems like a lot of drywall guys won't finish drywall that someone else has hung, so I man be hiring out all the drywall. I also won't do the electrical or plumbing (that doesn't leave a lot for me to do I guess ). I just don't want to make any mistakes that are expensive to fix or that will make the space dangerous to be in.

As far as the seating goes, I'll probably start with a couple of nice chairs for the wife and I and then slowly get additional seating. I'd like to leave myself $5k for the projector as well. The budget will probably change a bit. My goal is to start with the best possible theater room.

I hope the construction costs will be less than $30k, but I'm definitely going to need to put in some HVAC and, at a minimum tear up the floor to add a drain for a shower. I figure those two things will probably be the priciest single items.
Good luck on your project. I hope a Home Depot or Lowes is close by. They have both been a second home to me for the last 2 months. Heck I was just there an hour ago. I just cannot wait for it to end.
post #22 of 23 Old 06-26-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Good luck on your project. I hope a Home Depot or Lowes is close by. They have both been a second home to me for the last 2 months. Heck I was just there an hour ago. I just cannot wait for it to end.
Thanks! I'm really close to a Lowe's so thats good. Good luck to you as well, I'll be keeping an eye on your build.
post #23 of 23 Old 06-27-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! I'm really close to a Lowe's so thats good. Good luck to you as well, I'll be keeping an eye on your build.
Thanks, I will do the same.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page