Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The Coal Creek Theater

Construction is underway on the Coal Creek Theater. It will be a 6 seat theater with the interior dimensions of 12'4" x 23'. This is an Erskine Group design, with Shawn Byrne doing the design work. Originally I had planned for an early September finish so that the equipment could be calibrated when Shawn came to CEDIA, but we're just not going to hit that dedline. Calibration will take place toward the end of November.

Basic floor plan:

Front/rear:

Side:
roland13 likes this.

Last edited by Lindy0026; 08-19-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

reserved
post #3 of 42 Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

one more reserved, just in case
post #4 of 42 Old 06-12-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Currently, I am working to get the HVAC sorted out. The plan is to have the theater on its own zone, with ducting bringing the cool air into the theater and removing the "used" air. My current HVAC isn't the sort that I can split a dedicated zone off of. I'm now looking at putting in a ducted mini-split system.

HVAC is the thing that is currently holding up the start of the project. I need to get some current ducts moved so that framing can begin. I've gotten a few bids so far that seem really high, and am waiting on one more.

Last edited by Lindy0026; 06-25-2014 at 09:49 PM.
post #5 of 42 Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of the empty space.

post #6 of 42 Old 06-28-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Framing is mostly done. The ceiling in the office and hallway can't go in until the HVAC is installed. I've got an electrician here now wiring high voltage. For the theater room I used Timberstrand engineered lumber. The carpenters were able to get a very precise job.

near the screen wall looking east. As you can see the office hadn't been framed out at this point.

in the office looking west towards the screen wall

near the snack bar looking at the entrances to the theater and office.

at the south wall looking at the hallway
post #7 of 42 Old 06-30-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Most of the high voltage wiring is in now. By in I mean that I have rolls of wire ready everywhere they need to be. All of the electrical outlets will be in the columns, stage and riser.

For the main lighting I'm building a cloud on the ceiling. It's the inner dashed box on the floor plan I posted. This will be 6" thick and house the main 9 lights. 3 lights will go in the soffit above the stage. 2 in the soffit in the rear. The soffit is the outer dashed line on the floor plan. Both the soffit and the cloud will have a tray around them containing the LED tape lighting. The lighting is divided up into 5 zones and is wired to switches in the hallway wall.

One of my main tasks this week is to figure out exactly what lighting I am going to use. I'd like to go with LED for everything. Have any of you used LED tape lighting? How does it go together? How dimmable is it?

post #8 of 42 Old 07-16-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the long delay between posts. HVAC, lighting and wiring has been keeping us busy since then. Lots had to be done with the HVAC to get it ready. If you look at the first picture in post #5 , you can see how the supply and return ducts had to be moved over to get them out of the way of the walls.

This:

Had to become this:

The mini-split was installed. I went with a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim SEZ-KD09. It's a 9000 BTU ducted mini-split. It had to be mounted in the ceiling in the office next door. I'll be using 10" insulated flex duct for the supply and return runs. The whole ceiling in the office will be brought down to 90" to accommodate the HVAC.

post #9 of 42 Old 08-10-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

The room has its drywall shell. I did the standard whisper clips, channel, DD + GG. The third picture shows the spot where the rack is going to go. I will build out a little closet that the rack will go in. This way I can put a door on the rack to keep it quiet in my office and have a thermostatically controlled exhaust fan to keep the rack cool. I'll punch through the wall above the closet and have the waste heat dumped outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drywall 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	206369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drywall 2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	206377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack 1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	206385  
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #10 of 42 Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

The next phase of the HVAC has been completed. 10" flex duct is being used for both the supply and return runs. The supply runs are the two in the middle. The returns are the big ones on the side. The small duct on the left of the second picture is the duct for the hush box exhaust. The small duct on the right side connects to a vent bringing fresh air in from outside.

post #11 of 42 Old 08-19-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

As can be seen in the first photo, holes were cut in the drywall and the MDF on the other side, and a collar was inserted through the wall. The flex attaches to this on both sides. The soffit is constructed with 3/4" MDF. Furring strips attach on the walls and the ceiling to dedicated channel. The vertical wall of the soffit went up first. It was then lined with 1" OC 703. The flex followed. There are 3 90 degree turns in the flex to minimize sound transmission. I can put my face up to the end of the flex duct and it is dead silent.

post #12 of 42 Old 08-19-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Looking good. I got your PM but I'll reply later when I'm on a real keyboard.
post #13 of 42 Old 08-20-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy0026 View Post

I have a bunch of ideas of what I want to do with computers and my setup. The HTPC is going to be a key piece of equipment in this theater. It will be used for watching content, gaming, and basically anything computer related that we would want to see or hear in a theater setting. I'll be using an Xbox One for games and as a bluray player. It turns out that I really like the Kinect, so I am having to design things around that as they do not have any sort of extension cord for it yet. The theater is going to be wired so that there are USB ports at the front of the riser that plug into the HTPC. I'll find a rack mountable case and build the PC myself. I've done lots of PC build before, so that aspect is trivial. The last PC I built was my current desktop and that was about 4 years ago, so I am not up to speed with the current equipment scene. I also don't know much about HTPC equipment.

I don't have cable and don't have plans to get anything like that. I am installing an attic antenna to pull in OTA channels. Would you use a TV tuner card for this, or one of those stand alone boxes?

As far as sound goes, is it recommended to get a dedicated sound card instead of using onboard audio? I want to push everything with HDMI, so I don't want an audio card that would require its own audio cable.

I would also like to get some sort of NAS for the household. I would like to have one central place for storage for the household computers. Photos, videos, music and data would all live here and be streamed to other devices as needed. I've seen you argue that you don't like the NAS in a box solutions out there, and prefer to build your own. Are you opposed to these solutions because they are more expensive, or are there performance reasons? If I did go through the trouble of building a NAS PC, would I gain other features besides storage?
The USB idea on the riser is pretty trick. I think I am going to steal that idea and do it. !

I also don't have cable. I cancelled it, and only subscribe to the local channels through my provider, it costs me about $6 a month and includes HD. OTA antenna is a good option for you, you won't need to mess around with cable cards and all that nonsense, so any HD tuner card for the HTPC should work great!

Personally I like the HD homerun stuff, which is external network driven tuners. If you have LAN run in your house you can get it all over and in multiple locations. If you are only interested in a single room solution you might be better with the CETON tuner cards though, and install into a PCI express slot on your mobo and just be done with it. Both options work pretty good.

YOU DO NOT NEED A SOUNDCARD! Sorry to yell that. lol. The HDMI output will bring all the high quality uncompressed audio you need right to your AVR or preamp. All you need is a motherboard (or GPU card) with HDMI output. HDMI can carry sound with perfect quality.

The NAS can get tricky. Sky is the limit. Your main choices will be a preconfigured and pre manufactured NAS box solution (think Synology, Qnap, Drobo etc) which you just add hard drives too, or building a dedicated media server. The pre built NAS is weak and expensive, but it's simple to set up and comes with smart phone apps and software that is easy to set up and use. A dedicated media server will cheaper, and higher performance but you'll need to do some building and installing of software. Not hard stuff but some people want to avoid that.

That usually makes up the choice for many.

With a media server you can build it as cheap and simple as you want, or as powerful and large as you want. My flexraid server is 50TB now. I started with 12TB. It was very nice to "grow as I go" too... which is the advantage to the media server route in that you can add on or upgrade or expand as you need. You are much more limited with a NAS, you'd need to buy another to expand at some point.

Your third and easy option would be build a nice HTPC and use that as an all in one machine for now, stuff it full of some 4TB hard drives and keep your storage local in the machine. You can still set it up to network and share the space on your LAN with other devices, and run ROKU or whatevers off it. That would save you the cost for now, and when you have your feet wet a little more you could build the media server and just move over your hard drives.

Doing it all at once is best. But it costs the most too.

Give this a read: The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

There was some good info in there, start at the begining of the thread and then stop on the few HTPC and media server posts, some of them have good info with additional links. That should get you started and get your some good back ground. When you are ready to take the next step let me know, we can do a build list and plan specific to your needs and budget.

Before you get too far you'll want to know the following:

Budget?
What you want to do with it?
Do you want to transcode? Or use multiple devices (like ipad, iphone, android, kindle, roku, windows phone, laptops, apple tv etc)
Do you want to watch media when away from home / need remote access to NAS ?

This will dictate the direction you go, since you'll need a decent CPU to transcode on the fly but any weak CPU can serve files or be a NAS. For the HTPC you are probably looking at something like an Intel socket LGA 1150 dual or quad core build, with 8GB ram and a motherboard with HDMI out, and a nice SSD for the OS drive Nothing too crazy there.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #14 of 42 Old 08-21-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I'll be spending a bunch time in the coming days trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with everything.

The HTPC will be there for watching content, playing games, listening to music, etc. I'll probably end up building a good fast gaming rig for it. The new Haswell stuff should hit the market next month, so I'll wait to see what happens there. I'm leaning toward a 6 or 8 core CPU, 16 GB memory, a beefy GPU.

I probably would want to have a seperate box for the NAS. I could build one myself if I decide to go that route, PC building is easy. Right now I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I would use the server for, if anything, besides running the NAS. With WHS there were features like backing up the rest of the computers in the house. I looked around a bit and it seems that WHS isn't being sold any more. It seems like one can just use Windows 8 in its place.

As far as transcoding goes, I could do that with the HTPC and then just send it to the server for storage, right?

It would be nice to be able to stream content from the server to other devices (like ipad, iphone, android, kindle, roku, windows phone, laptops, apple tv etc.) I don't see myself really ever wanting to stream content when I am away from home or need remote access, who knows though?
post #15 of 42 Old 08-21-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I built a gaming computer several years ago. I placed it in a HTPC case, with a 2 gig hard drive and a 2 tuner TV tuner card. We simply use Windows Media Center built into Windows 8.1 to schedule and record all of our shows. This computer records all of our OTA stations, we canceled cable 2 years ago. Originally, we watched shows from the computer via HDMI through the AVR. Over time, the family discovered they preferred the simplicity of watched the recorded shows through our Xbox 360. It also has the advantage of being easy to flip to Netflix and Amazon for streaming entertainment. My point is that it doesn't have to be complicated with a lot of bells and whistles just user friendly.

Of course, if you have the desire and time to spend setting up the other options, go for it. That is part of the fun of home theater!
post #16 of 42 Old 08-22-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

The lighting cloud has been attached to the ceiling. Nine of the 14 downlights in the theater will go in this cloud.

It was built on the horses, here is glue being applied. Five tubes of liquid nails in all were used to attach it. We included 4 dedicated channels with enough clips to bear the weight of the structure.

Two drywall lifts were used to lift it into place.

The lighting will get wired up, and then the whole thing will be covered with 3/4" MDF.

post #17 of 42 Old 08-22-2014, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Looking over your floor plan, your room is very similar in dimensions to mine. I also notice what appears to be a set of side speakers for each row. What speakers are you going to use for sides and what is the distance between each row?

Looks like progress is moving nicely, I am interested in the outcome.

Creekside Stone Cinema
post #18 of 42 Old 08-23-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

The sides and rear speakers are Triad In Wall Bronze speakers. It is 6 feet between the rows.
post #19 of 42 Old 09-03-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't bother with pictures of the floor treatment going in. It was the typical treatment with Serenity Mat followed by 3/4" T&G plywood.

Columns came next. The sofits on the sides were closed up and the columns built from floor to ceiling. The left side "column" isn't a column per se, but a wall that spans the whole distance. The columns on the right side are split by the entrance.

Speaker wire for the surrounds was run through the sofits and brought down into the columns. Electrical wire was run in-wall. I'm using remodel boxes in the sides of the columns to house the electrical outlets.

Pictures of the framing for the columns:

I think the camera lens gave the pictures a bit of a warp. The sofits are level and flat. The open cavities got filled with pink insulation and then the MDF layer covered them up:

We forgot to pull a wire for the subwoofer initially, so we left that last panel off until that was finished.
post #20 of 42 Old 09-03-2014, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Stage and riser were framed out. The filling of the stage with sand will probably wait until the HVAC guys come back this week and install the plenums for the supply/return vents. One of my carpenters carried down one bag of sand, so I don't even get to say that I carried all the sand down.

The riser was built around the side columns. The rear columns will be built after the decking goes on the riser.

post #21 of 42 Old 10-15-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Back in business! The previous carpenters couldn't make it work with 3 hours of commute time a day, so they bowed out. It took me a bit to find some new guys to finish up. They worked fairly quickly and I wasn't available to get pictures throughout what they did, but here is the next checkpoint.

This first picture shows the stage wall. The stage was filled with sand as is SOP. The decking was 3/4" plywood, 1/2" plywood and 3/4" plywood with 15 lb. roofing felt in between. Proper gaps were left between the stage and wall. The proscenium wall was framed out. The gap on the lower left is where There is going to be a small cabinet built to house the Xbox. This has to be done to accommodate the 10' cord on the Kinect sensor. The second picture shows that the speakers each got their own wall forward from the proscenium wall.

This last picture shows the riser, columns and the lighting cloud. The riser was framed 10" tall. Decking is the same as the stage. The vents still need to be cut into the riser. There will also be a floor outlet to power the row of seats on the riser.

I had it wired with a bunch of cables. The left hole on the front of the riser will have a double gang outlet box in it. This will power the front row of seats. The Box on the right will house ethernet and some USB ports. The USB ports will be there to hook into a USB switch in the rack. This will allow me to use the USB ports to connect to the HTPC or the Xbox as needed.

The lighting cloud was filled with pink insulation and covered with 3/4" MDF.

Tedd, Mfusick and 24Changer like this.
post #22 of 42 Old 10-15-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Awesome theater, and coming together amazingly quickly (at least from my reference point).

I had a question about your soffits and HVAC. Where the HVAC enters the room through the collars how are you avoiding sound flanking through those collars? Is your entire soffit treated to stop sound transmission through, or is there another method for stopping the sound.

In my case, I have my HVAC run through the soffit and recessed lights going in that would transmit sound through unless I built backer boxes for each one.

Thanks!
post #23 of 42 Old 10-15-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words.

The collars were a bit tricky, and may be a bit of a weak point, we'll see. We tried to keep the holes as small as possible around where the collars went through. The HVAC guy didn't seem to enjoy the challenge of cutting through 2 layers of green glued 5/8" drywall. The carpenters went back after the collars were in and filled the extra space with drywall mud as well as possible, and then acoustic caulk was used to seal up those holes. The other side of that wall is covered with 3/4" MDF instead of drywall to provide extra mass. The ceiling in that room is going to be framed in and then it will be a drywall ceiling. That whole space will be filled with pink insulation. All in all, I think that there isn't going to be a lot of sound gonig back and forth between the two rooms. I also bought a roll of Johns Manville Linacoustic RC. This is mainly for lining behind the screen wall. I'll have a lot of it left over, so I'll be using a bunch of it around the HVAC on the office side.

Inside the soffits themselves, I used Owens Corning 703 panels, the 1" thick variety. I covered the bottom of the soffit and the interior vertical side. This way any sound that gets into the soffit will get absorbed without too many bounces. The soffits themselves are built out of 3/4" MDF. The soffits got dedicated channels to support the extra weight.
empirebuilder likes this.
post #24 of 42 Old 10-15-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I like it. Glad to see you back on track!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #25 of 42 Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I like it. Glad to see you back on track!

5 weeks to go....hmmmm...can he make it?!

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #26 of 42 Old 10-15-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

My deadlines aren't very dead. They are living breathing things. And they move around a lot.
post #27 of 42 Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy0026 View Post
My deadlines aren't very dead. They are living breathing things. And they move around a lot.
What is the deadline? And why ?

-

post #28 of 42 Old 11-08-2014, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

The deadline was mid November, but that wasn't going to happen either. The deadlines were there so that Shawn could fit calibration into his busy schedule. Now I'm hoping to have everything finished by the end of the month and have calibration the second week of December.
post #29 of 42 Old 11-08-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Lots of things have happened sine last post. A few of them have been interesting. Since I have been trying to keep the train rolling, I had to work with the schedules of the various subs. There's a good possibility it wasn't the optimal order to do things. For instance, I had the walls painted, then put all the trim up. The painter will come back to catch all the trim and will have to touch up a bunch of spots on the walls.

The first picture is the room ready for paint. As shown in the photo I didn't cover the MDF with drywall as was suggested. The drywall finisher promised me that he could properly finish the MDF and get a nice smooth finish on all surfaces. He did get a nice smooth finish, but as it turns out I don't think that he taped most of the seams where different sheets of MDF came together. Every single one has cracked. They of course waited until after they were painted to crack. The few seams that he did tape on the lighting cloud were taped with paper tape and they bubbled in a few spots.

Here is a (low quality) photo of the room after paint. I'm realizing that I really need to be on top of pictures more.

post #30 of 42 Old 11-08-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Here's the front of the room. The front wall is getting a membrane trap. In this first picture you can see the first layer of material. I ended up using Johns Manville Linacoustic RC. Insulshield was specced for best performance, but holy cow is that stuff expensive. The roll of Linacoustic was about $280 with tax. To get a roll of Insulshield, it would have been $860 a roll and I would have had to order 4 rolls.

Here you can see the plastic in between. I had a bunch of 6 mil plastic leftover from the sand in the stage, so I used that.

This last picture is after the second layer. The shelf will be painted black.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction