Need help! About to pull the trigger on complete AV system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help! About to pull the trigger on complete AV system

We break ground on my new custom home in 2 weeks, in which I'm designing a completely light controlled 24x14 (9ft tall) media room. Will have two seating rows first at 11' from screen, second on 7" riser 14' from screen, and barstools at the back of the room. Will be used for movies and lots of sports. From lots of recent thread research on this forum, I've tentatively decided on the following equip. Price I've listed is the best Internet prices that I've found. All front speakers to be behind AT screen.

120" Jamestown Seymour AV Screen (JTS 120): $525
Epson Pro Cinema 3D Projector 6030UB: $3995
Qty 3 Def Tech UIW RLS II (fr right, fr left, fr center): $1500
Qty 4 Def Tech UIW RSS III (surround left and right in wall, rear left and right in ceiling): $1200
Qty 1 outlaw LFM1 EX sub: $600
Denon X4000 7.2 Receiver: $1100

Does anyone see any problems or advice on something I may regret from above? I'm somewhat a newbie. Any recommendations on a better bang for my buck than the above for any item/s? I've already surpassed my equip budget. Thx!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
What kind of seating? 3' between the first and second row is much too close for theater recliners. And how many seats across are you thinking?

I would also suggest using in-walls for the rear channels just as you have on the sides.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
What kind of seating? 3' between the first and second row is much too close for theater recliners. And how many seats across are you thinking?

I would also suggest using in-walls for the rear channels just as you have on the sides.

Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks. Chairs will be theatre recliners. I was guessing at the 14', based on my layout having the 7" riser step up at 11' from the front wall. You are correct the 2nd row will be further back.

Installing the rears in the walls instead of the ceiling would work for my setup. What dimensions would you recommend to install the side surrounds and rear surrounds (from the floor & front wall) with my setup?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-12-2014, 09:08 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
One sub in a 14x24x9 room will make noise but will not give you even and accurate low frequency response.

What are you doing for soundproofing and in room acoustic treatments?

PROJECTS:

post #5 of 11 Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
One sub in a 14x24x9 room will make noise but will not give you even and accurate low frequency response.

What are you doing for soundproofing and in room acoustic treatments?
I'm thinking the 2nd sub will be a future Xmas present.
Thermafiber insulation in all the walls and solid entry door is all that is spec'd so far.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiestro View Post
Thermafiber insulation in all the walls and solid entry door is all that is spec'd so far.
Insulation in the walls will not contain the subwoofer rumble. If keeping the theater sound away from other rooms, and ambient noise out of the theater is important, you will need to increase your efforts and the time to start is before the room is constructed. One of the cheapest methods of reducing sound transfer is with isolated framing meethods. Then added massive damped walls. Two layers of 5/8 heavy drywall with Green Glue between layers. That is one aspect and there are others.

Your thought process is very similar to many who visit this forum, They decide to build a theater and start by selecting equipment. The recommended approach is to start by building a proper room. Once a room is built it is pretty hard to come to grips with tearing it down and starting over.

If you can visualize any of the following being said to you, it may be time to think about a plan

"Turn it down the kids are trying to sleep"
"Turn it down I have a headache"
"Turn it down my mother is trying to read"
"Turn it down the neighbors complained and the police are at the door"
"Can you turn it up? The neighbor is cutting his grass?"

PROJECTS:

post #7 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 04:39 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Just a factoid to consider, the current 1/2 inch drywall now common in home construction is Ultra Light weight. It weighs 39 lbs per 4x8 sheet. I build theaters with a minimum of two layers of 5/8 firecode Drywall. That weighs 140 lbs for a 4x8 area. Soundproofing is about Using Mass, Isolation, Dampening and Absorption working in tandem to achieve your goal. You've got the absorption part of the plan. Read up on room within a room construction techniques.

Some good stuff to read here:

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/

PROJECTS:

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 06-13-2014 at 04:41 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Just a factoid to consider, the current 1/2 inch drywall now common in home construction is Ultra Light weight. It weighs 39 lbs per 4x8 sheet. I build theaters with a minimum of two layers of 5/8 firecode Drywall. That weighs 140 lbs for a 4x8 area. Soundproofing is about Using Mass, Isolation, Dampening and Absorption working in tandem to achieve your goal. You've got the absorption part of the plan. Read up on room within a room construction techniques.

Some good stuff to read here:

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/
Thanks Big. My home will be a single story with only the theatre room upstairs. There will basically be attic space all the way around the 4 walls. I will be using thermafiber under the floor also and will be looking into some type of soundboard decking for the subfloor. Based on this, do you see as much of a need for double 5/8 drywall in the side walls? Thx
post #9 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiestro View Post
Thanks Big. My home will be a single story with only the theatre room upstairs. There will basically be attic space all the way around the 4 walls. I will be using thermafiber under the floor also and will be looking into some type of soundboard decking for the subfloor. Based on this, do you see as much of a need for double 5/8 drywall in the side walls? Thx
If the theater has four walls in the attic space then sound will have an unobstructed path to the ceiling of all the rooms below. Also if you have attic vents to the outside sound will escape there.

PROJECTS:

post #10 of 11 Old 06-15-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Trust Big. Big is good; Big is wise.

post #11 of 11 Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just as another opinion... I was in the same boat as you, a builder finished home theater. Could have just slapped a screen up, some speakers and a projector and called it a day.

I ended up deciding to move one wall back to give me room for 2 rows. Once that wall was down, I was just going to rebuild it, drywall it and go with the above plan.....

... until the day I ended up going over to a fellow AVSForumer's house nearby my place one weekend. Big was there helping him build some speakers (which I happened to have the same kit, so I wanted to get some info from the expert since I had never done it).

The guy who was building the speakers for his HT was at a much later stage. He had soundproofed his room completely (using the above techniques big described).

I had never been in a sound isolated home theater until then. There was a guy mowing outside with a LOUD lawnmower. In the room next to the theater, you couldn't help but hear it. As soon as you walked into the home theater and closed the door (which wasn't even finished, sealed, etc), - everything outside disappeared. No lawnmower.

After that I made the (difficult) decision to completely rip down what the builder put up and do it properly with sound isolation.

I think I made the right decision. In the end it will be a LOT more work (and expense), but it depends on what your goals are. If you're okay with sound escaping (and entering) the theater, then your plan should be fine. But just doing something like what you are talking about likely isn't going to make any substantial difference.

My Home Theater Build:
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page