Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Jlpowell84's setup :)

Well I have hit a plateau point for me and have never had a setup/system/build thread so here we go. I will construct this over time as I have much to add as far as information and my process as well as pictures from gear to my DIY room treatments and REW graphs.

Gear goes as follows
Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma TV
Denon 4520ci AVR
Oppo BDP103D
Mac Mini
Open DRC-AN Mini DSP
Sony PS3
Ethereal Power conditioner
JTR Triple 8HT Left and Right speakers
JTR Triple 8LP Center channel
DIY Sound Group's Volt 10 sealed coaxial speakers on surround (2)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 600's (4) in height and wide positions
Dual Seaton Submersive HP 2400 Subwoofers
Numerous DIY Room treatments.

I got into the HT hobby in the fall of 2012 when I decided to sell a performance motor I was building for an Nissan S14. I didn't even know what a HZ or crossover was lol! I sold my built KA24DET motor yet to be ran and bought a 7.1 Definitive Technology and HSU sub system. I had BP 8060 towers for left and right speakers, an CS 8040 Center channel, two BP 8040 surrounds, and two Pro Monitor 1000's. All Definitive Technology speakers and all matching timbre. A single HSU VTF-15H had me thinking I had hit the bass jackpot! And to that point in my development I had as it is a fine sub at it's price point. I also had a Denon 3313ci running the commands with my Mac mini and Apple TV in the mix. I also had my Panasonic plasma as that is what started the turn when I bought that and an Onkyo HTIB that fall of 2012. The Onkyo only lasted a couple months before the DT system came along. I thought I had it made. I kept telling myself I had a fine system for a young man just getting into this hobby. But I knew there was more (and still do).

To be continued...

Last edited by jlpowell84; 07-31-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are a few pics of the process that I went through to end up where I am at. This thread will arrive where I am at today but is also a documentation of my journey thus far.

Remember this was my first system as we just entered 2013 and I had been into this HT hobby for only a few months and had just learned what a crossover is and what an octave is lol! It was a decent system for sure. It just had a ceiling that was easy to hit and distortion crept in. In my heart I wanted a hot rod I could let loose and that had the ability to do anything I asked it to. The DT speakers only get to a certain point and if you listen at reference I cannot recommend them. And certainly nowhere near as dynamic as JTR speakers. But I do stand by that the HSU VTF-15H is the best sub for value at its price point aside from DIY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0311.jpg (200.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0312.jpg (152.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0313.jpg (121.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0314.jpg (92.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0315.jpg (150.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0317.jpg (209.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0488.jpg (102.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0489.jpg (139.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0490.jpg (151.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0504.jpg (88.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0532.jpg (162.8 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by jlpowell84; 06-15-2014 at 10:34 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As you learn more in this hobby you realize there is more past the big box store brands such as companies like Seaton, JTR, HSU and other respectable brands. I continued to learn more and more every day. I had caught the bug of this great hobby. 15 tabs or more open on my browser became the normal. Audio articles from scientific test stuff to build threads I was consuming evry day. Green glue and decoupled walls to House curves and DSP's all was covered. I soon made some good friends here on AVS. I had committed to attend a GTG at Kris Deering's in Seattle Washington. Bill (bsoko2) offered a room the night before at his place. The exciting part was Bill had a 7 channel JTR speakers, quad Seaton Submersive, Integra 80.3, 80 inch TV, fully GIK treated room. Kris had dual Subersives and two SVS subs in the rear (replaced by two more Submersives), 5 channel Legacy Focus speakers, JVC PJ, fully treated room. Kris also had a 2 channel Paradigm Signiature/Emotiva amp setup. I was excited for this weekend and the exposure of gear I was going to digest. The night I arrived at Bill's we watched Oblivion that was just released on Blu Ray at -5. Sitting in the MLP in his Berkline recliners I fell in love with the JTR sound. The quad submersives were nice as well lol. But The number one thing that made me a JTR beleiver was the pleasantness of the sound. Not once did I get a "harsh" sound.

TBC....

Last edited by jlpowell84; 07-27-2014 at 03:01 PM.
post #4 of 17 Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So as time went on I purchased two 2400 watt Seaton Submersives from Bsoko2 as well as two old school JTR triple 8 HT's. I sent the T8's back to Jeff P in Wisconsin to have a crossover and driver upgrade done as these older models had selenium CD's and Jeff had made the switch to BMS drivers in 2011 I believe. I also located a Triple 8 LP I bought from user MKtheater thanks to Jbrown for the tip. I run this as my center channel. I then decided to sell my Sherbourn PA7350 amp and Denon 3313 and make the switch to just an AVR in the Denon 4520ci. XT32 was a nice jump (to be honest I expected more). The bass tightened up with more filters and the surround to main relationship seemed have better transition. The 4520 is a nice unit and I was happy to make the switch. Shout out to JDsmoothie from AVScience for the hookup. I then bought and built two Volt 10 speakers from the DIY sound group and am very pleased with these for the price point. I will make a switch to higher quality surrounds when I build a dedicated room but for a few hundred bucks these things rock on surround duty!!! Worth more than they cost for sure. Of course you do all the work lol...Then I picked up an Oppo BD103D again through JDsmoothie. I always was hesitant to spend so much on a BD player as money doesn't grow on trees for me but I have no raegrets about this purchase. It screams quality and the remote and interface are VERY nice! I became aware of the video side due to the darbee processing chip and also picked up a Spears and Munsill video calibration disc. Lastly I have been playing around with some cheap definitive technology Pro Monitor 600's in the height and wide positions. I owned the PM 1000's at one point and was pleased with them and these are smaller versions. I don't feel the heights and wides add a lot to the experience but some surround effects panning their way are made known and certainly add something to the experience. I am sure a higher quality speaker would be more pronounced in those positions. But space is an issue for 9 channel surround in a small living room lol.

On top of all this I put up a large piece of black fabric on my front TV wall covering a window that sits un symmetrical to the room and offset to the right. I put some roxul AFB back there that dampens the light at the least. Not sure if it actually does any acoustical goodness. I also spent much time working with REW and the ETC graphs as well as the old tape and mirror technique identifying all my 1st specular reflection points. The floor is covered with plush carpet (test very effective by placing a very thin garage type rug on the floor for a week then removing. By introducing reflections and then removing them one can REALLY see the benefit of taming reflections). Then the side walls are covered as well as a 2x24x96 ceiling panel with an air gap. The big ceiling panel covers all three reflection point of LCR for both of the two main couch seats. I then threw up a couple 4x18x48 panels next to each surround speaker mostly for cosmetic reasons. Also built two 15x15x48 soffit style bass traps that sit in each corner on the front TV wall from the floor up. With bass trapping you really need LOTS of bass traps all over to make significant differences and being a rental I didn't want to freak out my landlords and I was generally happy with the bass quality from dual submersives. My decay times are not horrid but not exceptional either. One note is beggininig this room was several weeks of testing raw subwoofer responses and finally rotating my room 90 degrees from a suggestion to user Sdurani. So I began with symmetry and the best RAW responses before even getting into EQ of the natural adding room treatment form or electronic. Remember the CORRECT process is to get symmetry (if you can) then the best raw response, then add room treatments to further "naturally" EQ then use electronic as the last stage. Hopefully by electronic EQ you have a decent looking response and decay times So that is my basic journey. I have had lots of fun in this hobby and my wife and I use our system almost daily and get so much entertainment out of our system!!! Gaming is fun too!!!

Last edited by jlpowell84; 07-27-2014 at 03:24 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

lots of pics of the journey to come

Last edited by jlpowell84; 07-31-2014 at 06:12 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-12-2014, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

reserved.

Last edited by jlpowell84; 07-27-2014 at 03:25 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

reserved 2
post #8 of 17 Old 07-28-2014, 11:16 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Nice so far, thanks for sharing.
I'm guessing the images above don't reflect the system/room orientation change? I'm unsure of the particulars, however such orientation is the first priority, above all else. It doesn't surprise me at all that Sanjay helped you with the symmetry. As I'm sure you know, ... it all begins there. All too often I see images of systems that are somewhat poorly executed in this regard. That initial wave-launch is paramount, and achieving it relatively un-corrupted with a clean ITD is important.

"So I began with symmetry and the best RAW responses before even getting into EQ of the natural adding room treatment form or electronic. Remember the CORRECT process is to get symmetry (if you can) then the best raw response, then add room treatments to further "naturally" EQ then use electronic as the last stage. Hopefully by electronic EQ you have a decent looking response and decay times."

^ This, is refreshing. The physical arrangement and orientation, and the relative distances from the adjacent boundaries, is so important. Much of the wave-launch distortion effects of a less than ideal set-up, cannot be fixed via electronic manipulation. The engineering team has worked so hard to capture the recorded material in a manner in which we can enjoy an immersive experience in our playback environment. So ideally one doesn't want to overlay another room acoustic over the top of the recorded acoustic.

It seems as if you're making some good decisions and some nice acquisitions.

"I have had lots of fun in this hobby and my wife and I use our system almost daily and get so much entertainment out of our system!!!"

This is very cool. We get to enjoy our system daily, and it too is so enjoyable. Again, thanks for sharing and I'll try to keep tabs on your progress.
Thanks and best of luck moving forward.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #9 of 17 Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post
Nice so far, thanks for sharing.
I'm guessing the images above don't reflect the system/room orientation change? I'm unsure of the particulars, however such orientation is the first priority, above all else. It doesn't surprise me at all that Sanjay helped you with the symmetry. As I'm sure you know, ... it all begins there. All too often I see images of systems that are somewhat poorly executed in this regard. That initial wave-launch is paramount, and achieving it relatively un-corrupted with a clean ITD is important.

"So I began with symmetry and the best RAW responses before even getting into EQ of the natural adding room treatment form or electronic. Remember the CORRECT process is to get symmetry (if you can) then the best raw response, then add room treatments to further "naturally" EQ then use electronic as the last stage. Hopefully by electronic EQ you have a decent looking response and decay times."

^ This, is refreshing. The physical arrangement and orientation, and the relative distances from the adjacent boundaries, is so important. Much of the wave-launch distortion effects of a less than ideal set-up, cannot be fixed via electronic manipulation. The engineering team has worked so hard to capture the recorded material in a manner in which we can enjoy an immersive experience in our playback environment. So ideally one doesn't want to overlay another room acoustic over the top of the recorded acoustic.

It seems as if you're making some good decisions and some nice acquisitions.

"I have had lots of fun in this hobby and my wife and I use our system almost daily and get so much entertainment out of our system!!!"

This is very cool. We get to enjoy our system daily, and it too is so enjoyable. Again, thanks for sharing and I'll try to keep tabs on your progress.
Thanks and best of luck moving forward.
Thank you very much for the kind words and encouragement!!!

The previous pics are from my prior house and my first system. I wanted to capture my whole journey. I will add pics soon of my current room and current up to date system. Warning is the walls have ugly wood paneling...sigh...It's just a rental for now. We love the location and everything else. Besides with the lights off it don't matter!!! Actually I don't recognize them anymore. But it makes for sub par pics IMO. But it sounds good! I will post them and my whole treatment building process and volt 10 build (a few pics aside from my build thread).
post #10 of 17 Old 08-10-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Followed your link from the Spandex thread. Two months since you posted pics of your old system. Interested in seeing your new setup and where you plan on putting the spandex screen. What size is the room?
Sounds like you have upgraded to some serious gear. Glad you enjoy the end result as much as putting it together.
Let's see some pics man.

post #11 of 17 Old 08-10-2014, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Followed your link from the Spandex thread. Two months since you posted pics of your old system. Interested in seeing your new setup and where you plan on putting the spandex screen. What size is the room?
Sounds like you have upgraded to some serious gear. Glad you enjoy the end result as much as putting it together.
Let's see some pics man.
That sounds funny, "followed your link from the spandex thread." Yes I will get some pics up and the screen site as well! I thought I had a bunch when I went to post and realized they were all from building my room treatments and building my Volt 10 surround speakers. I only have cheap digital camera that takes bad pics and I feel they make things look disproportionate. but they will give the idea nonetheless. My front TV/screen wall is about 16ft wide and the couch sits about 10ft from the TV wall. The rest is open behind the couch to a little dining area directly behind which stretches the entire length from TV wall to back dining wall about 24ft. The kitchen opening and hallway openings are on one side as well. We have ugly wood paneling...sigh...But hey it can't be seen when lights are off and movie is on! Thanks for your interest and I look forward to progressing on the PJ setup! Pics I will get tomm evening!

One thing I think I have forgot to mention is when I got married in November my wife and I found a guest house for rent shortly outside of town. It is a small place and can play bass loud without complaints. Anyway I will get the pics soon.

Last edited by jlpowell84; 08-10-2014 at 10:32 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Thank you very much for the kind words and encouragement!!!

The previous pics are from my prior house and my first system. I wanted to capture my whole journey. I will add pics soon of my current room and current up to date system. Warning is the walls have ugly wood paneling...sigh...It's just a rental for now. We love the location and everything else. Besides with the lights off it don't matter!!! Actually I don't recognize them anymore. But it makes for sub par pics IMO. But it sounds good! I will post them and my whole treatment building process and volt 10 build (a few pics aside from my build thread).
I know it's a rental, but are you allowed to paint the paneling? I had a house 14 years ago and it had paneling. I was going to tear it down and then thought about painting it. I used a good oil based primer and then painted it and it looked great. I will say the oil based primer was horrible to work with, but it stuck nice to the smooth finish. It also left the wood grain look to it.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
We have ugly wood paneling...sigh...But hey it can't be seen when lights are off and movie is on!
Nothing wrong with the '70s Burt Reynolds love den look.
jlpowell84 likes this.

post #14 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I know it's a rental, but are you allowed to paint the paneling? I had a house 14 years ago and it had paneling. I was going to tear it down and then thought about painting it. I used a good oil based primer and then painted it and it looked great. I will say the oil based primer was horrible to work with, but it stuck nice to the smooth finish. It also left the wood grain look to it.
You know I haven't asked. We live on the property with our landlords. Basically they own 130 acres here with a horse arena, barns, and numerous horse ranch type buildings. their house is huge and we rent the rental. They are very cool as well...But I think I am not motivated to put in all that work of moving everything around...I really don't care about the wood paneling
post #15 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pics of the room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3722.jpg (131.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3723.jpg (137.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3724.jpg (140.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3725.jpg (147.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3726.jpg (156.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3727.jpg (174.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3728.jpg (165.9 KB, 10 views)
post #16 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3729.jpg (168.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3731.jpg (144.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3733.jpg (144.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3735.jpg (218.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3743.jpg (220.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3738.jpg (207.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3741.jpg (245.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3745.jpg (200.9 KB, 6 views)
post #17 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dang...I got to get a new camera badly! Those pics will be replaced in the future. Anyway thats my little man cave I have my computer monitor mounted on an Ergatron arm that will make a nice compliment to having a PJ setup. It will remove the need to fire up the PJ if I want to listen to music. It is also handy if I want to do some gaming and my wife wants to watch a movie, or I can game on the big screen and she can surf the net. That old amp is a decorative piece I got from my wife's grandmother. It is a 1946 Challenger Amp Co. I think it looks cool

Also an update to my setup (hinted in recent posts) is that I am going to get a projector setup!!! From speaker to speaker is 100 inches just horizontally. Not sure on the exact screen size but as big as possible!!! The leading projector is the Sony 55ES. It will be my PJ for the long haul so I plan on saving and getting after the first of the year. So I have plenty of time to draw out all the plans perfectly! Also plan to go acoustically transparent with the screen and put my JTR triple 8 LP up behind the screen. Not sure exactly yet how I will mount it but a couple ideas are rolling. One is fit into the window sill or the other is to cut the neck of the TV mount part of my TV stand and attach a sturdy platform for it to stand on. I will have to cut the neck either way...And so far Falcon screen material is the leading screen material but I am taking a look at spandex as well.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction
Gear in this thread - 50ST50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page