New theater new house - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-14-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New theater new house

I am building right now. The house is all roughed in right now. I am trying to think of every possible wire I can put in the walls before it is spray foam and closed up. I pulled 11 Channels in the theater room, an hdmi to the projector, ir relays to the screen and to the projector back to the closet where everything is going. Call this area the theater.
I pulled 2 channels for the deck. 2 channels for the kitchen, and 5 channels for for in ceiling surround in the living room. All back to a closet. I have an hdmi with associated ir relay cords going to the deck and to the wall for an led. A hdmi and ir going to the deck. Call this area the living room.
I pulled 5 channels for in ceiling surround in the master bedroom with 2 additional channels to the master bath, hdmi and ir relay back to master closet.
So that is all the channels I could ever dream to have, probably won't use them all but easy to place now impossible later. I also ran some security cams and ether net cables.

So this brings me to the million dollar question what am I missing.

Also each zone will have at the very least a 7 channel av receiver, to power that area. What is best way to tie them together? Hdmi cables? Optical audio cables? No matter what way I go do I need to have two of each so the source can be at either end?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-14-2014, 10:11 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 746
HDMI cable ends can go bad, I lost one. Lucky I laid in a redundant cable and three CAT 6 wires so I can go to HDMI over cat6 if my redundant cable fails.

I would do a conduit for the projector in anticipation of HDMI 4.0 and needing to pull a new cable.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
HDMI cable ends can go bad, I lost one. Lucky I laid in a redundant cable and three CAT 6 wires so I can go to HDMI over cat6 if my redundant cable fails.

I would do a conduit for the projector in anticipation of HDMI 4.0 and needing to pull a new cable.
Does cat 5 wire work to do hdmi over cat?

Am I missing any other wires?

I need to buy all new av receivers, my Yamaha av1 is awesome but just isn't gonna work for this. I know they all seem to have apps now. Does any model have an app that allows you to switch between different receives on the same wifi network?
post #4 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 10:22 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

cat 5e I believe is OK

on receivers, if you use just the AV processing power of one receiver and take the preamp outputs to your Yamaha or vice versa you should be able to do what you want and tap the benefits of both receivers. You just wouldn't use the amp section of one of them.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-16-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
cat 5e I believe is OK

on receivers, if you use just the AV processing power of one receiver and take the preamp outputs to your Yamaha or vice versa you should be able to do what you want and tap the benefits of both receivers. You just wouldn't use the amp section of one of them.
You have me all paranoid now that my hdmi cables are going to fails, especially my 50ft runs. How common is this? It seems to pop up in the reviews in Amazon too.

On the 3 receivers. All 3 are on different floors so I have no reason to have them combining power I just need them to be able all play music or video from one source at any location. My gut tells me I need a hdmi going in each direction to each receiver?
Thank you for all the help.
Insulation very soon, need to get it all in.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-16-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewguy View Post
Quote:
cat 5e I believe is OK

You have me all paranoid now that my hdmi cables are going to fails, especially my 50ft runs. How common is this? It seems to pop up in the reviews in Amazon too.

On the 3 receivers. All 3 are on different floors so I have no reason to have them combining power I just need them to be able all play music or video from one source at any location. My gut tells me I need a hdmi going in each direction to each receiver?
Not extremely common, but it does happen. Just plan ahead and run an extra. The cost of cables now is minuscule compared to the cost of tearing out drywall later to replace a failed cable. You may never need the backups, but in that one chance you do... You'll be thankful.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #7 of 10 Old 06-16-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewguy View Post
Quote:
cat 5e I believe is OK

Not extremely common, but it does happen. Just plan ahead and run an extra. The cost of cables now is minuscule compared to the cost of tearing out drywall later to replace a failed cable. You may never need the backups, but in that one chance you do... You'll be thankful.
OK I just ordered a few redmere hdmi from monoprice I am gonna triple up with multiple brands, and have cat as back up. I really only get one shot at this.

I will have pics soon to start having this take shape. I am leaning towards monoprice in ceiling for bedroom 5.1 and bathroom 2.1. And klipsch in ceiling for 5.1 living room and 2.1 kitchen.
I have speakers and sub for deck that will be going in planters.
I am really torn on what to do in the actual theater. I will post some pics and measurement and hope you all can help me out with what is best. The pic is of the wall I plan to put the screen on.
Gotta crane coming Wednesday to lift the last piece of the frame into place for the house, a copper curved coopala.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140613_144529.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	121546   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140613_121430.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	121554  

Last edited by homebrewguy; 06-16-2014 at 04:29 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-17-2014, 05:09 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I lost my HDMI cable when I was repostioning my gear/cables and didn't realize I was putting strain on the HDMI. The end came apart. I think I used up all my choice words at once.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I think BIG mentioned this already, and if the walls are still open, you might want to do this - run some conduit! No matter how many backup wires/cables you've put in, you never know what's coming next and will need the ability to "upgrade." When I built my first theater, DVI was all the rage and HDMI hadn't made it mainstream yet. I was certainly glad I put conduit to my PJ location when I upgraded my PJ from 720 to 1080. Years later that same conduit was used for High Speed HDMI to take advantage of 3D!

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
I think BIG mentioned this already, and if the walls are still open, you might want to do this - run some conduit! No matter how many backup wires/cables you've put in, you never know what's coming next and will need the ability to "upgrade." When I built my first theater, DVI was all the rage and HDMI hadn't made it mainstream yet. I was certainly glad I put conduit to my PJ location when I upgraded my PJ from 720 to 1080. Years later that same conduit was used for High Speed HDMI to take advantage of 3D!
Unfortunatly, conduit doesnt really work in my case way to many twists and turns, and due to the type of framing I can only drill 1" holes in the LVLs so realistically I could only use 3/4" SCH 40 and it would be pretty much useless. I have run 3 HDMI of varying brand, and cat 6 cable, and two IR relay wires. If they all fail I will have lost all faith in humanity.
Dropped the coopala in place yesterday that will sit on top of the theater. Spray foam right now. Cant wait to get this thing done, hoping for early August.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10484923_10152509032746085_1199903828171126668_n.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	126346  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page