Will Silver Screen Paint Interfere with a Screen's Acoustic Transparency? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-15-2014, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will Silver Screen Paint Interfere with a Screen's Acoustic Transparency?

Hello Everyone,

I am still in the process of planning my home theater and I was wondering if silver screen paint would clog/interfere with a perforated/acoustically woven screen?

I ask this because I want both the look (or lack thereof) of putting the speakers behind the screen, and the ability to project passive 3D (circular polarization to be exact) images on the screen.

So far the only legit (not at all modified) product I have found that could do this would actually be a custom silver screen from Stewart Screens with the microperf option, where they take the silver screen and poke thousands of tiny holes in it. This is unrealistic because Stewart Screens are insanely expensive, and this build is slightly more budget oriented. My idea is to use a curved zeroEDGE frame from Screen Innovations with their acoustically transparent material (please remember that this is not perforated, but actually woven to let sound pass through) coated with 5D screen paint from Elite Screens.

I assume this would work because I know that all IMAX screens are perforated, but matte white when they are installed, and then a special robotic painting rig coats the screen with 4 layers of silver paint after it has been hung up. (or at least one theater has done this - saw a time lapse of it in a youtube video)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-16-2014, 04:50 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 570
If you can figure out a way to make sure the openness factor of the woven material stays the same in the painting process it should be fine. When you figure that out I know a screen manufacturer who would like to talk to you. Woven screens range from 5 to 10% open. You don't want to clog it up. PM me if you want his contact info and he would probably send you a box of scrap material for the price of shipping for you to experiment.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page