Doug's Remodel Build Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

post #301 of 322 Old 07-21-2017, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
That's a lot of work! But love the plan...its the first time I've seen an asymmetrical atoms design, but it makes perfect sense given the positioning of the rears! I know Nyal knows his stuff (i listen to the results daily!) And I can't wait for you to reap the benefits of this layout refresh.

That rack looks good...going to have to add new shelves soon, at the rate yoire going! Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
It really is, but I gotta tell you: I'm pumped to be taking it on after listening to that Atmos Demo disk you lent me!

Yup, it looks like it's not full, but any more and I start taking away air flow. The receiver runs hot now as it is! I already know I need to add more amp channels, so I'm starting to think about a second rack somewhere. I'll probably move over all of the amps and audio/video processing over to that, and leave that one "visible" rack as input devices, while returning the monitor for ease of use. I love using the media library for tunes while I'm working in there, and don't like using bulb hours to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 322 Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
For the next step in the movie room:
- Speaker upgrades complete and placement optimization
- Acoustic treatments

I've been working with Nyal for a bit, to improve the sound in the theater as best I can. We got a bunch done, then (another) potential move threatened on the horizon, and now it seems I'm going to get back on track. The ball was in my court, as Nyal sent me the speaker placements, and I needed to verify that everything would fit well where he indicated. The plan is to replace the (old) Bose surrounds with Volt 6's, and to add a couple of rears. I ordered the components from Erich at DIY Soundgroup (same as the LCR), and they should be here soon. To get started, I finally got around to using a lot of the leftover baltic birch scrap from building the LCRs and Subs.

I cut out 6 speakers:

Plus two that I'm making for a friend that recently moved and hopes to have a theater in his future. These will be his housewarming gift:

Lastly, I made a dummy speaker, to use for fit and placement on all of them. This one won't have anything in it, but it's the same size and shape as the others. It also gives me a template to really dial in my construction process. After making the Fusion-15s and the Custom Martysubs, these things are a breeze (they're roughly 8x8x12):

On an unrelated note: We have an extra washer and dryer taking up space in my garage, if anyone's interested...
Love your workbench!
post #303 of 322 Old 08-02-2017, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

I was also going to use the 1099's as my l/c/r but now you got me thinking the F-15's might be the better choice. Our rooms are very similar in size. You're making great progress.

post #304 of 322 Old 08-02-2017, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Love your workbench!
Lol, those are taking up space in my garage right now. They've been up on CL for a while, but no takers. I think I may have to lower the price a little...

Quote:
I was also going to use the 1099's as my l/c/r but now you got me thinking the F-15's might be the better choice. Our rooms are very similar in size. You're making great progress.
Thanks, I appreciate that!

I gotta' tell you, I'm a *huge* fan of those F-15s. They make great sound, and a LOT of it!
brazensol likes this.
post #305 of 322 Old 08-05-2017, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Updated in their individual threads, but 2 new shallow subs are built:

6x new Volt-6 built:

All of them are in various stages of being added to the theater this weekend.
Waterboy77 and texpilot like this.
post #306 of 322 Old 08-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

How do the F-15's and the Volt 6's play together? I plan on using the 6's for all my surround duty.
post #307 of 322 Old 08-07-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Ohhhh.....me likely!!!!! How shallow are those subs?I still have two wire runs on opposite sides of the room for side-subs that I'm supposed to have, per Nyal's plan. Just haven't found anything affordable yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #308 of 322 Old 08-09-2017, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
How do the F-15's and the Volt 6's play together? I plan on using the 6's for all my surround duty.
Not ignoring your question, but haven't gotten the V-6s installed yet. I put in the subs and I'm working on them first, and Nyal and I are still fine tuning the speaker layout plan for the Wides/Surrounds/Rears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Ohhhh.....me likely!!!!! How shallow are those subs?I still have two wire runs on opposite sides of the room for side-subs that I'm supposed to have, per Nyal's plan. Just haven't found anything affordable yet.
They're about 8" deep, but could probably go a little less, depending on how you're willing to sacrifice tuning. The original idea came to me from Erskin's recommendation of the Triad In-Wall subs, but I decided to see what I could do on a much tighter budget. The wood was left over, but you could easily build 2 or so out of a single sheet of $60 BB. The drivers themselves are about $250 for a pair, and I just gave them a channel of my existing iNuke 6000.
post #309 of 322 Old 09-17-2017, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good news everyone!!

The theater is just about done, the Volt-6s are up and about to be installed, and the REW work coming along nicely. That means...

We just met w/the realtor yesterday, hoping to have the house officially listed and on the market 10/5!!!

So, two things:
1) Get ready for a new build thread!
2) In the finest of AVSForum traditions, I'm DEFINITELY throwing a "Thanks for all the help and contributions" Get Together at our place BEFORE we sell.

I don't think 3 weeks is enough time to get everyone together, so it'll likely be a couple of weeks after the listing. With our youngest's Birthday being the weekend of 10/21, I'm thinking 10/28. What say you AVS-ers, who's interested??
post #310 of 322 Old 09-17-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Yeahhhh! COUNT ME IN!

#TeamAtmos

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #311 of 322 Old 09-17-2017, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Good news everyone!!

The theater is just about done, the Volt-6s are up and about to be installed, and the REW work coming along nicely. That means...

We just met w/the realtor yesterday, hoping to have the house officially listed and on the market 10/5!!!

So, two things:
2) In the finest of AVSForum traditions, I'm DEFINITELY throwing a "Thanks for all the help and contributions" Get Together at our place BEFORE we sell.

I don't think 3 weeks is enough time to get everyone together, so it'll likely be a couple of weeks after the listing. With our youngest's Birthday being the weekend of 10/21, I'm thinking 10/28. What say you AVS-ers, who's interested??
You got to let me know how those Volt 6's work with the F-15's!
post #312 of 322 Old 09-17-2017, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You got to let me know how those Volt 6's work with the F-15's!
Agreed! But first I have to finish getting them actually installed and tuned! That's part of the "good thing" behind the G2G, it's going to force me to finish up some stuff...
brazensol likes this.
post #313 of 322 Old 09-19-2017, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
GREAT looking room.

Every time I look at a room like yours, I wish I had "hidden" my three front speakers and made a slightly larger screen. So clean looking. I have spent a lot of time (and $$) getting everything but the L and R completely hidden but the cost to hide them would be huge. So it will be what it is.

Anyway, great job !!
post #314 of 322 Old 09-19-2017, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
GREAT looking room.

Every time I look at a room like yours, I wish I had "hidden" my three front speakers and made a slightly larger screen. So clean looking. I have spent a lot of time (and $$) getting everything but the L and R completely hidden but the cost to hide them would be huge. So it will be what it is.

Anyway, great job !!
Hey, thanks, I really appreciate that! If it helps, I already have a huge list of things I'd do differently myself!!
post #315 of 322 Old 09-21-2017, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Good news everyone!!

So, two things:

I am close by (Glen Burnie). Would love to meet you guys!

Sean
post #316 of 322 Old 09-22-2017, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBWI View Post
I am close by (Glen Burnie). Would love to meet you guys!

Sean
Cool, the more the merrier. More details as the event gets closer.
post #317 of 322 Old 09-22-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
I definitely would like to attend!

post #318 of 322 Old 09-24-2017, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
No idea where I'll be in this world on the date you set....but if I know the date, that gives me something to shoot for!
post #319 of 322 Old 09-25-2017, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
I definitely would like to attend!
Awesome! I'm glad we're getting a chance to meet when I'm NOT helping you haul those 500 lb blue behemoths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
No idea where I'll be in this world on the date you set....but if I know the date, that gives me something to shoot for!
Heck, if you can make it all the way down for this, you'd be the guest of honor!
post #320 of 322 Old 10-05-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Good news everyone!!

So, two things:

Count me. Miss going to a gtg. Please add me to your disto once details finalized. I'm in Nova. Thanks/asim
post #321 of 322 Old 10-16-2017, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok all, two big-ish updates:

1) After a whole bunch of grunting and cutting, and a lot of wire fishing to get the rears hooked up, the Volt-6s are in!! I took some REW readings, but I'm not sure how/what to post. I have some "before" readings I took, but I can't really compare them to the "after", because it's not a 1:1 comparison. There are two each of the left and right surrounds (one per row), and in the "before" reading they have their own processor and amp channel. In the "after" I combined each side to a single channel, and used the others for dedicated rear processing and amplification. So basically the "before" readings have 4 readings for the surrounds, (Left front surround, left rear surround, right front surround, right rear surround) with no rears; the "after" have 4 readings for surrounds and rears (left front and rear surround, right front and rear surround, left rear, right rear).
OTOH I can tell you that there's a HUGE difference b/w the Bose and the Volts, and I haven't even EQ'd them yet! Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, I can already hear things in the Dolby Atmos demo disk that I didn't know were there before!
Any requests for what folks would like to see?

2) The date for the GTG is drawing near! We're just about two weeks out, and it's looking good! We're still on for 10/29, and the time is looking like 3:00 - 5:00. The house is still going to be on the market then (unless an offer comes in before ), and according to the realtors that's the best time of day for me to block off and NOT allow requests for visits. I guess they don't even schedule open houses during that time, because it's in the middle of football!
So far for participants I have: BrolicBeast, SeanBWI, NWCGrad, asoofi1, and (maybe) TMcG. Any other takers? Please let me know ASAP, b/c I'm about to move the coordination over to PMs, and don't want to miss anyone!
BrolicBeast and NWCgrad like this.
post #322 of 322 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally had a chance to play with the MiniDSPs a bit. Unbelievable differences before and after, I'm just really digging these Volts.

Of course, this means more homework:
- This is without treatments of any kind on the walls. The panels you see in the pics are really just hiding the speakers and SUPPOSED to be hiding the treatments, eventually...
- Yeah, I'm a fan of the LF. Really need to get the second shallow back from Brolic and tune all 4 together...
- The Atmos aren't here, since REW can only handle 7.1 right now, due to the limitations of my audio drivers. I need to stop being lazy and change out the channels on the receiver long enough to tune the Atmos speakers

Can't wait to see what other, more informed minds think next week @ the G2G. We have room for a couple more, if anyone's interested...

First readings: All new Volts installed, all EQ zero'd out on the MiniDSPs for all channels.

Second readings: All new Volts installed, baseline REW EQ recommendations for all channels on the MiniDSP.

Third readings: This is how the LF looks currently. The spike is the left shallow sub barking a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewVoltsNoEQ.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	2302542   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewVoltsWithEQ.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	2302544   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewVoltsWithEQandSub.jpg
Views:	26