Drop Ceilling Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Drop Ceilling Projector

Hi guys this is my first thread so please take it easy.

I just moved into a new house and would like to mount my projector to the wall. The basement has dropped ceilings, so I would like to know if I can have my projector power cord, hdmi and home theater wires running through the drop ceiling, from the projector, to the wall were the pieces are connected...

Is there any type of tube that i need to buy and have all the wires/cords inserted in while on the drop ceiling? is it possible to do such thing, or are there any other alternatives?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-19-2014, 05:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 533
It is possible but it should be "Building Code Legal"

The biggest concern is the power cord. You can't just string an extension cord up above the ceiling. You need to use Romex and it needs to be secured, not laying on the tiles. You need to start and stop the run of Romex in an electrical box with an outlet at the end. It needs to be the correct gauge matching the rest of the wires on the circuit. And of course it needs to be connected properly. If you live in Chicago or New York, Ignore these guidelines as you must use metal conduit.

Code is less concerned about your low voltage HDMI and Speaker wires. you can pretty much just throw it up there but if it passes through the top plate of the wall stict interpretation of code is you should use a fire stop caulk for any gaps . An electrical conduit would be a good idea to protect the low voltage wires and make it easier to make change outs. They make both flexible and rigid. But with removable ceiling tiles it may not be worth the effort of installing it.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-19-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
It is possible but it should be "Building Code Legal"

The biggest concern is the power cord. You can't just string an extension cord up above the ceiling. You need to use Romex and it needs to be secured, not laying on the tiles. You need to start and stop the run of Romex in an electrical box with an outlet at the end. It needs to be the correct gauge matching the rest of the wires on the circuit. And of course it needs to be connected properly. If you live in Chicago or New York, Ignore these guidelines as you must use metal conduit.

Code is less concerned about your low voltage HDMI and Speaker wires. you can pretty much just throw it up there but if it passes through the top plate of the wall stict interpretation of code is you should use a fire stop caulk for any gaps . An electrical conduit would be a good idea to protect the low voltage wires and make it easier to make change outs. They make both flexible and rigid. But with removable ceiling tiles it may not be worth the effort of installing it.
Hi BIGmouthinDC, thank you for your reply.
Following your suggestions, a few more questions came up. When you say I need to use Romex, does that mean I need to install an outlet on the drop ceiling right next to the projector, and the outlet would be wired with Romex? Is it even possible to install an outlet on a dropped ceilling?

As I said, I have no previous experience with this, so please forgive the lack of knowledge.

I purchased flex tubing at lowes to run the cords (hdmi, speakers, ethernet if needed). Would that be good enough, or would it be better to have a cable tie with a mounting hole that i could attach to the joints?
post #4 of 13 Old 06-19-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Installing the outlet in the drop ceiling would be preferred. Like Big said it depends on your local electrical code.
The outlet can be installed in a drop ceiling using the same techniques as a lighting box.
Place the outlet box flush to the drop ceiling and use good bracing to keep it secure.

Flex tube is great especially if you have a dry walled ceiling.
Given that you have a drop ceiling and I assume you have good access it's really user preference.
If you are referring to using the cable tie to hang the flex tube.
I would to keep it up off the tiles. Its always murphy's law that the tile you need to move has the tube on it
post #5 of 13 Old 06-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good suggestions so far. Also, try to avoid having the electrical wire running close to and parallel to the low voltage wires. If you can, run them a joist or 2 over, and cross at 90 degrees if you must cross.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-19-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everybody from the continued help.
Would you be able to provide a list of materials that I would need to purchase for the ceiling outlet? Some mentioned romex and other parts, so I would hate to miss on something important.

Thank you
post #7 of 13 Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Sorry to be blunt but if you have to ask you need to do this only with supervision.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-19-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Sorry to be blunt but if you have to ask you need to do this only with supervision.
I agree electrical installations should only be done by someone with experience / certification.
It can be dangerous if installed incorrectly
post #9 of 13 Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate everyone's input and concern.
So the trouble part I would run into would be to wire the outlet I believe?
Just trying to start any "safe" pieces and hope to get a "cheaper" service from an electrician.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-19-2014, 02:55 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quick test, do you know what side of the outlet to connect the black wire without looking it up in a book? If not call in a friend with experience to help you. Adding a simple outlet to an existing circuit is a relatively easy DIY task if you have some experience. There is probably a YouTube video on it.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 06-19-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just to add my 2cents in here, based on the questions you have asked , call a professional.

I understand the desire to want to save money, but wiring the outlet wrong and blowing up your projector, or wiring your outlet wrong and burning down the house is not something you want to do.

Depending on where you live a single outlet in a drop ceiling should only cost a couple hundred dollars at most and you know it will be done correctly and if its not you have someone with insurance that you can sue.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will contact the electrician to perform the work. As for the low voltage cables, hdmi, surround and ethernet, do you have any ideas on how to make it slick coming from the drop ceiling?
post #13 of 13 Old 06-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You can purchase wall plates with low voltage openings from various suppliers

Just as an example

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

They are also available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.....

You would cut a standard size outlet hole, use an LV1 and then run your wires through and use one of these type of plates.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page