post #31 of 135 Old 07-26-2014, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Assuming you are trying to achieve a resilient and vibration-free mounting of the speaker, I have some suggestions for you from Kinetics Noise Control, but don't have time at the moment to dig into the exact product codes. If you look under 'suspended vibration isolation', that's your start.

As an aside, most of the Kinetics will work well with traditional metal mounting products like Unistrut and threaded rod. All the damping is done in the bracket which can be mounted to the structure above.

How is your current ceiling constructed and installed?? Clips and channel? Mass loaded Vinyl? Double drywall with Green Glue?

More to follow later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Thick long screws directly into stud (found by measuring or stud finder) is probably ok, without tearing out sheetrock and adding plywood.

Many screws are rated for 100 pounds holding. 4 or 8 screws should be ok assuming you hit wood like a 2x4 and get a good couple inches of grab with the screw.
I need something low profile. See my photos above showing my mock up of front height speakers. Since these speakers are going in my tray ceiling (and they're large), I need the smallest isolation product otherwise the speakers will hit my light path.

I'll post a picture of my bracket - though the picture shows a 14" extension bar on it. The plate goes to the ceiling and the swivel head of it bolts directly into speaker.

My ceiling is double drywall. No Green Glue as it wasn't invented! I thought of placing a piece of plywood to ceiling studs and placing mount there.

I looked at the Kinetics products but didn't see what would be best in my application. If you could point me directly to it, that'd be great. We're you thinking neoprene pad?

I thought of simply bolting but I would consider a simple isolation product.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	180754  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 135 Old 07-26-2014, 08:02 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 296
That's a huge bracket. Is that full length needed to get the speaker angles you need? In other words, if I were to measure from the fixation point on the back of the speaker to clear the ceiling (with ceiling acoustic treatments, if any) when the speaker is tilted at the needed angle....what is this height? 14" seems very generous.

After seeing the bracket, neoprene dampening within your joist structure seems to be the best route IMHO. I wouldn't go the Kinetics Route for this one. I'll put together a one-minute sketch, scan and post here once our little one goes down for his nap.
post #33 of 135 Old 07-26-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Le Petit Trianon V 3.0 (thebland) 7.2 --> 12.5

Quote:
That's a huge bracket. Is that full length needed to get the speaker angles you need? In other words, if I were to measure from the fixation point on the back of the speaker to clear the ceiling (with ceiling acoustic treatments, if any) when the speaker is tilted at the needed angle....what is this height? 14" seems very generous.

After seeing the bracket, neoprene dampening within your joist structure seems to be the best route IMHO. I wouldn't go the Kinetics Route for this one. I'll put together a one-minute sketch, scan and post here once our little one goes down for his nap.
That would be awesome. Thanks!!

Actualky, that's the standard Quested bracket but for tight to the ceiling installs, the swivel portion on the bracket (and a slightly smaller mounting plate), bolt to the speaker. I might be able to find a better image. I was going to build up mount with plywood to give the tilt I need. But want any suggestion. The ceiling plate is on top and lower photo bolts to speaker.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #34 of 135 Old 07-28-2014, 05:32 AM

Technically speaking, since the speaker's weight is around 65 pounds, you could use a product like the Snaptoggler in your double drywall ceiling, using a minimum of four per speaker bracket. However, I'm not big on using drywall anchors for heavy (and expensive) things suspended above my head in a vibration-intensive area.

The only alternative is to open a 'window' in your ceiling to mount securely to the structure...and do so in a resilient way. I've made you the attached sketch, which is definitely not to scale!

I propose making a mounting block made from two layers of 3/4" plywood with Green Glue in between. 1/2" Neoprene can be attached to the entire underside of the plywood. The base of the speaker mount can be attached to the neoprene side of the plywood using through-bolts and a locking washer with two Nylon threaded nuts. Next, I would attach a full perimeter of 2x2 blocking (side blocking for attachment, cross blocking for a bit of additional support), leaving the blocking 1/4" proud of the plywood on all sides and fitting the width of the joist bay precisely. Attach the blocking to the plywood by screwing down from the top. Now you have a full mount that you can position up/down and forward/backward within the joist bay to get the speaker height and position you need. Secure the blocking into the side of the joists with 3" wood screws.

I would then attach putty pad to the part of the post that will penetrate through your double drywall layer and then create a 'clam shell' of two layers of two drywall pieces with a slightly oversized square just larger than the penetrating post while still getting a bit of compression from the drywall into the putty pad. Trim away any of the protruding putty pad and make the final seal with a bit of black paintable caulking. Hopefully this quick description is clear.

This method will allow you to secure to structure with common building materials while getting some vibration energy control, primarily from the 1/2" Neoprene on the underside of the plywood.

Let me know if you have any questions/thoughts. My guess is that you will have to mount those speaker mounts very high up inside your joist bays so the speakers do not hang too low in the room when properly positioned.

Last edited by TMcG; 07-28-2014 at 07:09 AM.
post #35 of 135 Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Technically speaking, since the speaker's weight is around 65 pounds, you could use a product like the Snaptoggler in your double drywall ceiling, using a minimum of four per speaker bracket. However, I'm not big on using drywall anchors for heavy (and expensive) things suspended above my head in a vibration-intensive area.

The only alternative is to open a 'window' in your ceiling to mount securely to the structure...and do so in a resilient way. I've made you the attached sketch, which is definitely not to scale!

I propose making a mounting block made from two layers of 3/4" plywood with Green Glue in between. 1/2" Neoprene can be attached to the entire underside of the plywood. The base of the speaker mount can be attached to the neoprene side of the plywood using through-bolts and a locking washer with two Nylon threaded nuts. Next, I would attach a full perimeter of 2x2 blocking (side blocking for attachment, cross blocking for a bit of additional support), leaving the blocking 1/4" proud of the plywood on all sides and fitting the width of the joist bay precisely. Attach the blocking to the plywood by screwing down from the top. Now you have a full mount that you can position up/down and forward/backward within the joist bay to get the speaker height and position you need. Secure the blocking into the side of the joists with 3" wood screws.

I would then attach putty pad to the part of the post that will penetrate through your double drywall layer and then create a 'clam shell' of two layers of two drywall pieces with a slightly oversized square just larger than the penetrating post while still getting a bit of compression from the drywall into the putty pad. Trim away any of the protruding putty pad and make the final seal with a bit of black paintable caulking. Hopefully this quick description is clear.

This method will allow you to secure to structure with common building materials while getting some vibration energy control, primarily from the 1/2" Neoprene on the underside of the plywood.

Let me know if you have any questions/thoughts. My guess is that you will have to mount those speaker mounts very high up inside your joist bays so the speakers do not hang too low in the room when properly positioned.
Wow! Thanks for the drawing. makes total sense. I will give to my builder. I really appreciate the detailed descriptions as well.

I will post pix as the speakers go up.

Really appreciate the time and effort. Same source for Neoprene that you mentioned above?

Thanks!!!

Jeff

post #36 of 135 Old 07-28-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wow! Thanks for the drawing. makes total sense. I will give to my builder. I really appreciate the detailed descriptions as well.

Really appreciate the time and effort. Same source for Neoprene that you mentioned above?

Thanks!!!

Jeff

post #37 of 135 Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 AM

Neoprene sheet is available from a wide selection of online vendors and brick & mortar retailers such as Grainger.
post #38 of 135 Old 07-28-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Neoprene sheet is available from a wide selection of online vendors and brick & mortar retailers such as Grainger.
Got it. Found a local place.

I appreciate all the help.

My Datasat is arriving tomorrow and construction will be done by end of week!

post #39 of 135 Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Subscribed.
Nice to see all your planning and waiting/etc taking shape.

Look fwd to next HEMI meet at your place....

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #40 of 135 Old 07-29-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Getting there!

Jeff
doublewing11 and TMcG like this.

post #41 of 135 Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Man those Quested speakers are stunning.

Mind if I ask how much they cost?

We are building in the new year, so am going through the planning for equipment stage.
post #42 of 135 Old 07-30-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post

We are building in the new year, so am going through the planning for equipment stage.
If you have to ask, well.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...98&srtclk=sort

http://www.funky-junk.com/search.php...uested&x=0&y=0
post #43 of 135 Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post

The LCRs retail for around $5,500 (each). Surrounds are about 1/2 price.

Today, the speaker mounts are going up and baffle wall is being installed.

Last edited by thebland; 07-31-2014 at 07:05 AM.
post #44 of 135 Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
The LCRs retail for around $5500K (each). Surrounds are about 1/2 price.

You mean 5500 dollars right, 'cause 5500 "K's" is a little more.

Nice theater BTW.

Regards,
John
post #45 of 135 Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Hopefully you (or your contractor) could take a few pics of this process and post. Good luck!
post #46 of 135 Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hopefully you (or your contractor) could take a few pics of this process and post. Good luck!

I plan on it.

Get this, my installer informed me that he had a machine shop (after I showed your drawing), so he is going to cut down the arm on the mount and re-solder it to the base. I'm pretty happy about this!

post #47 of 135 Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Get this, my installer informed me that he had a machine shop (after I showed your drawing), so he is going to cut down the arm on the mount and re-solder it to the base. I'm pretty happy about this!
That's great! As I said above, I had a feeling that those mounts were way too long, even if they were mounted just underneath your subfloor above. Just make sure he cuts and re-solders on the side that will go in between the joists!!

Looking forward to the pics!
post #48 of 135 Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The latest.

**Mark Seaton coming tot he house Wednesday for preliminary sub calibration!

1. Baffle wall 2 X 3.4" MDF w/ Green Glue

2. 1" absorption tomorrow. Had to shorten up bottom a bit for sub access but will extend absorption 6"-12" below wall

3. Equipment room gaps caulked. Still a bit of clean up there.

4. RS-20i in waiting.

5. Ceiling panel removed up front for 70 lb Front Heights

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6847.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	191633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6844.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	191641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6843.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	191649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6842.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	191657  

post #49 of 135 Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Thanks!!!

Jeff
That is soo cool Jeff and I were talking about this in concept and we discussed kinetics but I had no idea best method there, so thanks too, from the bottom of my heart..

post #50 of 135 Old 08-02-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks!!

Peter is my dealer for speakers and my Datasat processor. Met him a number of times at CEDIA. This guy only does things top shelf!! Glad he's been helping me out here

Highly recommended!! He's the go to guy for high end theater!

post #51 of 135 Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Projector going back up tonight. Baffle wall and height speakers to be mounted tomorrow an Tuesday nad sub calibration (with Mark Seaton) Wednesday.

post #52 of 135 Old 08-03-2014, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well, the port glass is quite reflective - but it's not shining back at the projector lens. That's the rear wall of my projection room. Baffle wall will be covered with1" absorption tomorrow.

post #53 of 135 Old 08-04-2014, 03:37 AM

Do you have the view port glass installed at an angle? Does the glass you used have an anti-reflective coating and you are still getting that much reflection?
post #54 of 135 Old 08-04-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Do you have the view port glass installed at an angle? Does the glass you used have an anti-reflective coating and you are still getting that much reflection?
Yes, I angled it down to prevent any image back into the PJ> It is special glass from Edmund optics for such a use. But it is pretty reflective. I've never used port glass so do not know what is normal.

Thanks! I'm not sure if it has an anti-reflective coating?? Shuld there be no reflection?

Last edited by thebland; 08-04-2014 at 06:59 AM.
post #55 of 135 Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Datasat ready to go!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6871.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	196105  

post #56 of 135 Old 08-04-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if it has an anti-reflective coating?? Shuld there be no reflection?
Except in applications that would be detrimental to the projection quality, there will always be some reflectance. I was just curious if you got the glass with the AR coating and if had angled the glass down since I couldn't tell from the picture.
post #57 of 135 Old 08-04-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This is the glass I ordered! Look like the right type.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/w...windows/43-975

post #58 of 135 Old 08-05-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

6 height speakers are up... Boy does it look bad! The esthetics and clean look of my theater hidden speakers is gone. Sure when the movie is going, it is not an issue.

However, the room is extremely quiet with the new closed of racks and port glass! Scary quiet.

post #59 of 135 Old 08-05-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You can see all 6 height speakers. LCRs are not in yet.

Jeff

post #60 of 135 Old 08-05-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi Jeff,

The equipment room looks great !

Scary quiet is the only way to describe it. You should really notice the improved dynamic range.

I also have Edmund Optics glass and get that same reflection.

Cheers,

Peter M

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page