Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Hi Jeff,

The equipment room looks great !

Scary quiet is the only way to describe it. You should really notice the improved dynamic range.

I also have Edmund Optics glass and get that same reflection.

Cheers,
Thanks, Peter... You were the inspiration! Thanks for the info that the reflection is as expected.

Now on to the next task.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 135 Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The reflection is normal, if you wanted to cut down minuscularly 2.5% on it there is a new glass that is also double ar anti-reflective coated with the same index of transparency as air, but you might not be able to tell difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 135 Old 08-06-2014, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What kind of chairs are those? They look super comfy.
post #64 of 135 Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
.... Just make sure he cuts and re-solders on the side that will go in between the joists!!
!
Not to be picky but you mean brazed or welded! I would not stand under those speakers if that joint was truly soldered!

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #65 of 135 Old 08-06-2014, 02:14 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
Not to be picky but you mean brazed or welded! I would not stand under those speakers if that joint was truly soldered!
Ha ha! Absolutely right. I guess we're all entitled to a 'brain fart' every now and then....some are just a little more public than others!
post #66 of 135 Old 08-07-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I just found this thread because I haven't been on this site a lot like I have been in the past. I must say that I love the direction you are going! Your theater looks even better than it did before and you already had a really nice theater. Great job!

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #67 of 135 Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

More progress.

Speakers are up, properly positioned, wires terminated.

Mark Seaton was at my house for 12 hours yesterday going over each of the 18 speakers and subs. Found a dead amp channel and an mis-wired driver in the Quested. He's experience and knowledge is invaluable. I can't say enough about his commitment to excellence. I can't tell you how impressed I was with his level of expertise. HE will come in and aid in the final calibration with the other calibrator in 2 weeks (Carl, an ex-Datasat engineer). He and his employee worked a very long day and fully prepped the room for the final Datasat calibration. The room is sounding great and the bass demo we di last night was simply insane and effortlessly loud, tight and powerful. The balance of the 4 Seatons up front with the 2 Seaton F2's in the rear (tower) gives me a pretty flat response BEFORE any Datasat EQ!

Hat's off to Mark and the best subwoofer for theater!

Rack VIew

Datasat RS-20i finally in the rack!

Pretty flat to 10 Hz on screen without any Datasat EQ or DIRAC! GOes even lower to boot!

1AM and Mark wrapping it up after a crazy bass demo of 'Art of Flight' and ridiculous levels!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6844.JPG
Views:	1873
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	200913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6906.jpg
Views:	1862
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	200921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6911.JPG
Views:	1817
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	200929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6924.JPG
Views:	1864
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	200937  
TMcG and Pain Infliction like this.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009

Last edited by thebland; 08-07-2014 at 06:26 AM.
post #68 of 135 Old 08-07-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Better photo of heights.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6896.JPG
Views:	633
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	201129  
its phillip likes this.

post #69 of 135 Old 08-07-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Can't Imagine!!! Can't even say it's gonna be awesome, cause it already is.

post #70 of 135 Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Um.. Does WOW do it justice. I don't think so. That is one impressive system you have built.

It ain't easy being green.

post #71 of 135 Old 08-08-2014, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Um.. Does WOW do it justice. I don't think so. That is one impressive system you have built.
Hey, Mike.. Thanks!

My theater has been down for 7 months. I'm almost ready to begin watching movies again!

post #72 of 135 Old 08-08-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Hey, Mike.. Thanks!

My theater has been down for 7 months. I'm almost ready to begin watching movies again!
There have been times when I have been down for months and it drives me crazy. I am sure with this new system you can watch all of your stuff over again and it will probably be like watching it for the first time. Again, way to go building a state of the art theater.

It ain't easy being green.

post #73 of 135 Old 08-08-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Very impressive. Congratulations.

So, what is your impression of the LT-10 as LCR's. If I remember correctly, Peter had some reservations about using the LT-10 as the mains in previous theaters and favored the LT-20.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #74 of 135 Old 08-09-2014, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

So, what is your impression of the LT-10 as LCR's. If I remember correctly, Peter had some reservations about using the LT-10 as the mains in previous theaters and favored the LT-20.
Not enough experience with them yet. I considered the LT-20s, they were slightly more money but in talked with Roger Quested (Quested), given the size of my room, they'd be too much speaker. They are 125 lb beasts that would do 130 db at my listening position! Peter typically does larger rooms. That said, I could've used them but saw little use for the three way design in the context of my room.

Thanks for the nice comments!

1.5 weeks and I'm good to start listening!

post #75 of 135 Old 08-09-2014, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats with your set up!!!

My home theater is smaller then yours(3.5m x 4,5m). Do you think it would be OK to use the LT8's as LCR? I'm sitting about 3,8m from the screen.
post #76 of 135 Old 08-10-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Le Petit Trianon V 3.0 (thebland) 7.2 --> 12.5

My friend Itai from iRule was over this weekend to program full system control on my iPad with iRule. He is so quick. I am very excited about this as I am moving from my pricey RTI control system to far cheaper but better control system. I will get feedback from most all components.

Ordered an Oppo 103 Darbee Blu Ray as my primary player.

Mark Seaton and Carl Huff (formerly of Datasat) will both be at my house in a week to do final calibration of RS-20i and Mark will input on the subs. I've got two great experts to dial things in. Very exciting.

Almost there!

Last edited by thebland; 08-10-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: none
post #77 of 135 Old 08-10-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miliotov View Post

My home theater is smaller then yours(3.5m x 4,5m). Do you think it would be OK to use the LT8's as LCR? I'm sitting about 3,8m from the screen.

I would call Quested. They were very good about calculating things for me and recommendations. Likely if you're less than 10' to your LCRs, you,d be good. My LT-8s are approx 9 ft from my main listening area and I believe Quested calculated max output to 103-105 db.

post #78 of 135 Old 08-11-2014, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For the 6 Submersive subs, Mark made this post (below) in the sub forum:

The red curve is simply turning both subs on with the same signal applied, just as many do in their rooms. The level reduces over much of the range, and we have a ~20dB hole around 45Hz. Through some experimentation that I'll get into with later posts, we settled on applying a delay of 7ms to the rear stack of F2's which results in the much more impressive cyan (light blue) response. Important to note is that we now see gain over each individual response across most of the frequency range (a maximum of +6dB is possible).

Yellow - 4 subs at front wall
Green - 2 subs at rear wall
Red - all subs simultaneously
Cyan - All subs simultaneously with a 7 ms delay to the rear subs

We will be well below 10 HZ with strong output when done.
CINERAMAX and Pain Infliction like this.

post #79 of 135 Old 08-11-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
For the 6 Submersive subs, Mark made this post (below) in the sub forum:

The red curve is simply turning both subs on with the same signal applied, just as many do in their rooms. The level reduces over much of the range, and we have a ~20dB hole around 45Hz. Through some experimentation that I'll get into with later posts, we settled on applying a delay of 7ms to the rear stack of F2's which results in the much more impressive cyan (light blue) response. Important to note is that we now see gain over each individual response across most of the frequency range (a maximum of +6dB is possible).

Yellow - 4 subs at front wall
Green - 2 subs at rear wall
Red - all subs simultaneously
Cyan - All subs simultaneously with a 7 ms delay to the rear subs

We will be well below 10 HZ with strong output when done.
Looks like he did a great job! What is your crossover set at?

- Leon Phelps
post #80 of 135 Old 08-11-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Looks like he did a great job! What is your crossover set at?
I believe it was 80 Hz - but it was cursory as when we do the full calibration, we will determine what works best with the LCRs. Thanks!

post #81 of 135 Old 08-11-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Where were the measurements taken from in the room? If that is in the middle of the room, such as front row middle seat, that is really impressive. That is the hardest area to get good bass.

- Leon Phelps
post #82 of 135 Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

More of a Caveat emptor than a reservation per se, I used them as height channels and they excelled at that on a trinnov remapped systems but I had 5 lt-20 fronts underneath it. As height channels they were lunging sound fx overheads, I can promise Jeff that on auromatic, the amt takes a while to break in, after a week of blasting the system though the sound became homogenous, and to quote the engineer that did the royal Albert hall with similar AMT drivers:

"According to Kinsella, it goes without saying
that you can get more sound pressure from a compression driver but it
doesn't sound as good at high output levels. The AMT principle
means the impulse response is better than that of a compression

driver, so that your sense of hearing does not become fatigued during longer periods of listening and it is also seemingly easier
to evaluate the information on offer. The audience no longer
notices the loudspeaker. Instead, they can concentrate better on
the music. Unfortunately, it is difficult to record such properties
in a data sheet.

I agree 600% with those statements above, and I was playing the system with 22.10 channels easily at over 120 db. After One week playing the system 20 hours a day one would come out refreshed and invigorated, I have never heard that before.
BllDo likes this.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 08-11-2014 at 04:14 PM.
post #83 of 135 Old 08-11-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miliotov View Post

No need to call Roger I already know what he will recommend you are sitting at 12 feet that is beyond the 9 foot limit for main lcr's there are 2 solutions one improvised bespoken for Jeff.

a stack of lt-24:

The other solution is an LT-8 two way active with a new Smaller AMT- this (ATMOS CINEMA) version is designed to play 7 decibels louder and it will not have the woofer on top requirement in vertical orientation. It will also comfortably cover your listening distance.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lt8is.PNG
Views:	486
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	207649  

post #84 of 135 Old 08-11-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stacked lt28.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	208185  

post #85 of 135 Old 08-11-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
I recall this photos. The folks at Quested test SPL output for me for LT-8s and LT-24s (doubled) as I considered each for LCRs and surrounds. It was after this test that I was able to choose the LT-8s for surrounds. I chose the LT-24s for side and rear heights. I was concerned that the LT-8s would get up to 105 db at 8 ft... so they tested!

post #86 of 135 Old 08-13-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I can break my silence now on my DATASAT RS-20i - not quite an NDA - but one of the first AURO 3D installed units in the USA!

My unit has the latest beta AURO 3D installed. There is little material but the word is the UPMIXING is far, far superior to NEO X!

Can't wait - (and word is Disney will be releasing some titles in AURO 3D)!

Thanks tro my dealer, Peter (CINERAMAX) for having the clout to get me this early!!

Here are some screen shots (courtesy Nick):

post #87 of 135 Old 08-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Jeff,

I've been following your upgrade with envy and this is exciting news. You must be stoked to finally get the finishing touches in place. Well done!

Steve
post #88 of 135 Old 08-14-2014, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post
Jeff,

I've been following your upgrade with envy and this is exciting news. You must be stoked to finally get the finishing touches in place. Well done!
Thanks so much!

I am, we haven't seen a movie since after Christmas.

I plan on running some very loud music for 24 hrs this weekends to break in the ATMs.

Still have a lot of clean up in the equipment room, need to put up screen and re-assemble chairs before calibration.

A lot to do but we're getting there... (Tired of writing checks, too)!

post #89 of 135 Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Bass traps behind the baffle wall (R-19 Ultra Touch).

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6997.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	217425  

post #90 of 135 Old 08-19-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Where is the countdown timer to calibration?

It commences in 24 hours right?

Take pictures, and give you impression on the auromatic.

The suspense is riveting...

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page