CrimsonBlue dedicated home theater build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
CrimsonBlue dedicated home theater build

Hi all, I recently moved into my dream home and it didn't take more than a month for me to convince the wife to let me take over one of the basement halves. The room is narrow (11.5 feet wide) but it's fairly long (26 feet).

The previous owners used it as a rec room, and it has a sliding glass door to the outside, a small utility closet, a cedar closet for storing clothes etc., and floor-ceiling mirrors (three 5'x8' solid panels) on one wall. On the opposite wall there are weird stickers that look like iPod dancers. I asked her if I could do anything I wanted to the room, and she said yes so I'm off to the races on turning this into the best theater that my imagination and the space constraints will allow!

Here is the room as it was when we moved in. I'm planning some major changes! I don't have the ability to take off much time from work, so I've hired a contractor to come and do some electrical work in the walls. I know the least about that, and it will save me a lot of time.

The equipment that I already have:

Epson 8350 projector
Denon 4311 receiver
Denon 2500BTCI blu-ray
PS4, Apple TV, etc.

Infinity speakers:
Beta 50 floor speakers
Beta C250 center
Beta ES250 bi/dipole (4 total)
Beta SW12 12" subwoofer
Crappy JBL height channel speakers
Less crappy JBL 8" ceiling speakers (I will matrix these with the height-channels)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IShfzgui08t7xw1000000000.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	129754   Click image for larger version

Name:	NQ5C8595.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	129762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	129770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1938.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	129778   Click image for larger version

Name:	NQ5C8596.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	129786  

Name:	NQ5C8597.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	129794  

Last edited by crimsonblue; 06-21-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Demolition begins!

The first step was ripping out the small closet near the sliding doors. A crow bar and a reciprocating saw helped, but I still managed to draw blood within the first few hours by yanking a metal stud off the wall that had some sharp nails stuck to it. The closet suffered more damage than I did, so day 1 is a success.

Looking more carefully at these mirrors, tomorrow is going to be a huge pain in the butt trying to get those off. They are on tracks with no room at the top or bottom to give, and they can't be slid horizontally. I think I may have to dig the tracks apart to try to get the mirrors off the wall.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1973.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	130306  

Last edited by crimsonblue; 06-21-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I grossly underestimated the weight of these glass panels. Each one has to weigh at least 200 pounds and they are jammed tight into the tracks and then stuck to the wall via some serious glue. I think they were suction-cupped lifted onto the wall then the tracks were put it to keep them from every being moved. We ended up breaking one (always wear protective eyewear...) and the others were salvageable. The local glass and mirror shops didn't want to take it from me - even for free! I was surprised at that, but they are up on Craigslist now to be given to whomever can haul them away. Even in the first hour, the responses have been plentiful, especially from the woman asking if three of them would fit in her Honda Civic. I don't think that entire car is 5'x8' but you have to appreciate her willingness to try!

I'm trying to get the remaining glue off of the walls without damaging too much. You can see from one of the photos that I've already started taping off where my screen will be. I'm going with a 135" screen, which won't leave much room on the sides, but since I have so much depth in the room, I thought I'd get the biggest screen I could comfortably fit.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1974.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	131250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	131258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2040.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	131266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2041.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	131274  

Old 06-22-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I love demo.....

I'm guessing since you're being so careful with the walls you're not tearing out the drywall?
Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 722
You are lucky, I am surprised how little glue they used on the drywall. If it ends up being a mess removing the glue you could throw up a layer of 1/4 inch drywall and just finish that normally.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Since I'm a newbie to home ownership, and don't have a ton of experience with building projects, I'd like to keep things as simple as possible for now! Ripping out the drywall is something I've considered every single day, but I'd rather not do it if I don't have to.

I need to get into the walls/ceiling for a few reasons so far:
1. Running 800 feet of speaker wire!
2. Two new sconces on each side wall
3. New ceiling lights (the fluorescents have to go!)
4. Projector cabling in the ceiling
5. Ceiling speakers that I plan to matrix with the front Heights

Now, that seems like the perfect reason to yank out the drywall! Well, I'm still shy about that, and I plan to solve that problem by solving a different problem at the same time. There is an HVAC soffit on the upper left side (as you face the sliding door) and it is a huge eyesore to me. I can't get rid of it, so I'm going to enhance it! The plan is to build a boxed frame all the way around so that the soffit disappears and I have a boxed pipeline all the way around the room to run cabling. Because some of the work involves electrical (which I am not comfortable with at this point) I have enlisted the help of a local contractor to help build that box and do the electrical (while teaching me a few tricks of the trade so I can do it myself going forward).

The contractor thinks my design is completely nuts, and he doesn't really understand what I'm trying to do. Because we'll be building it together, he'll understand soon enough!

Old 06-22-2014, 08:25 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 722
a little on building soffits with minimal effort:

Has anyone ever decoupled soffits?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
a little on building soffits with minimal effort: Has anyone ever decoupled soffits?
Big, I'm both disheartened and relieved with your post. I thought I had developed a novel idea to solving the random soffit problem, but it appears that plenty of other folks before me came up with the same plan (hence, the relief). I didn't do as much homework on AVS as I should have before starting this project, as I just wanted to implement what I thought was a great solution for the narrow width space. Now I'm pouring through old forums trying to soak in as much knowledge as possible. I think the design for the initial room redesign is set, but I will have many more iterations that will need help.

We're half way through building an empty box around the room to run wires and make the existing soffit invisible. I'll post more later, but it looks like I'm on the right track.

No matter how much planning and design I do, I have a feeling that my first real theater will go through many iterations as I learn enough to be truly dangerous/adventurous with dry wall!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Things got real messy today. My brilliant idea (which turned out to be common sense on these threads) was to build a box all the way around to make the soffit disappear and give a channel to run my speaker wires.

I also took down the two fluorescent lights and put in 4 Cree 65W (2700k temp). I don't plan on using these much, but they were a much better replacement for the eye sore fluorescents.

Getting rid of the glass was harder than I thought, but someone is picking them up soon. There is a dance studio in the DC area that serves kids in a pretty rough school district so they will get three new 8'x5' mirrors for free! It's so wonderful to be able to give away things and make someone's day.

I'm pulling the remainder of the wire tomorrow (900 feet on hand) so that will be a big task. Everything is run from the cedar closet room, which I just got wife clearance to add my rack poking through the wall, instead of just in the closet itself.

The plan is to have two rows of 3 seats, and I went with some of the slimmer models from TheaterSeatStore.com. Real leather, full motorized recline -- I'm not planning on buying any more for a decade! The riser is tough because there isn't a ton of space in the room width-wise. I can only walk on the left side, so the chairs will be ever so off center, but it shouldn't make much difference.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2043.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	133025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	133033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2048.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	133041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2049.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	133049  

Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Drawing of the room, for reference:

Old 06-26-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

More progress. Wiring is essentially finished and I have currently made allowances for the following speakers:

Front Height
Front Main
Center
Front Ceiling (midway between screen and listening position)
Surrounds (2 left and 2 right, matrixed together via Behringer Ultralink MX882 I could split the outputs normally, but I want to be able to control the 2nd bay of surrounds independently.
No Rears at this point, but the surrounds are dipole/bipole and I ran quad wire to all of them so I can switch to having rears if needed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2050.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	137353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2051.jpg
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	137361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2052.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	137369  

Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
When are you removing the door?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
When are you removing the door?
That's next. It's just going to be ripping out the sliding door, putting in studs/insulation, and then drywalling the inside. Outside may be a little trickier in making it not look like it was just ripped apart.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

The tray ceiling is complete, and the outside door has now been completely removed and made into a wall with insulation etc. Making the outside look semi-natural was a challenge, and originally the contractor thought I would want vinyl siding (the rest of the house is brick with some siding, but vinyl siding would look out of place here). I decided to do a wooden square frame with three panels (pics later this week of the outside)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2061.jpg
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	143242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2062.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	143250  

Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonblue View Post
The tray ceiling is complete, and the outside door has now been completely removed and made into a wall with insulation etc. Making the outside look semi-natural was a challenge, and originally the contractor thought I would want vinyl siding (the rest of the house is brick with some siding, but vinyl siding would look out of place here). I decided to do a wooden square frame with three panels (pics later this week of the outside)

Your room is coming along nicely. I haven't yet begun to build , but my room dimensions are almost exact. Can't wait to watch your progress. Keep up the good work!

Conrad from Canada.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Let there be paint! I went with a grey, which I like a lot so far. I need color on the walls (posters, etc.) to balance it, but it feels good right now. Sconces from Home Depot, and a rope light around the try ceiling.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2077.jpg
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	146113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2079.jpg
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	146121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2080.jpg
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	146129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2081.jpg
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	146137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2082.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	146145  

Old 07-05-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Aside from the seats, everything is finished! I need to add some serious wall decor to balance out the white-grey-black coloring, but I am very pleased. The platform is about 9 feet across and probably the same depth, at a riser height of 8.5 inches.

Two sets of curved leather seats are on their way!

Old 07-05-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Old 07-06-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You are lucky, I am surprised how little glue they used on the drywall. If it ends up being a mess removing the glue you could throw up a layer of 1/4 inch drywall and just finish that normally.[IMG]http://*******/Prn9DS[/IMG]