DOLBY ATMOS coming to Homes in Fall. Who's modding their theaters for such? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Will you modify your theater for Atmos?
Hell yeah! As soon as I see the set up guide, I'm in and will wait for content after modding room. 32 23.36%
No way! 7.1 is all I'll install or pay for. 16 11.68%
I will wait for content and what else shakes out, maybe 6 months or a year or more.. 89 64.96%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #1 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 116
DOLBY ATMOS coming to Homes in Fall. Who's modding their theaters for such?

With Auro and Atmos now announced for home, things are changing. Who's going to adopt?

http://blog.dolby.com/2014/06/dolby-...ing-room-near/

Onkyo will be first with Atmos on board (surprise) and here is a link to various speaker configurations...

http://dolbyatmos.onkyousa.com/
zuluwalker likes this.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
An excellent example of the law of diminishing returns!
aftcomet likes this.
post #3 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
I will wire for it. I'll also wire for heights and wides. Plus 8 extra subs. SO what is that 16.8 ?

Ideally I will probably end up with some type of SEOS waveguide speaker for LCR (12" or dual 12" MMT or MTM) and something like an 8" for surrounds (x2 columns for sides) and again for 2 more in the back. Then probably the same for heights and wides, and then perhaps a low profile coax in my ceiling (inside the sound proofing shell)

I won't run the wides, heights or ATMOS yet (cost reasons) or the second row of surrounds. That will be project #2 after the room is completed. The first step of speakers I will do during room construction. My current AVR is 11.2 with height and wides but it's a Denon and does not do ATMOS. I will consider doing ATMOS when I upgrade my AVR.

Short story.. I will wire for it but it might be a couple years before I can actually use it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I am waiting to see how the speakers need to be positioned, and if I can fit them into my setup... If I can then I will upgrade down the road when I upgrade my AVR.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #5 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Although the whole thing does remind me of the old Steve Martin comedy album - with 11.1 we really have reached dodecaphonic!!!

I assume DTS will counter with their Googolphonic(tm) system?
weaselfest likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 81
My next HT speaker layout needs to be "compatible" with immersive audio content delivered as:

Dolby Atmos . . . no real info about movie content

DTS-UHD . . . no details available yet

Auro-3D . . . no real info about movie content

MPEG-H 3D . . . spec not quite finalized

ATSC 3.0 audio . . . spec barely started

So I think I'll wait a bit longer before I commit to any new layout!
_
blake18, arttu and TMcG like this.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #7 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm in as I've already ordered the speakers. Fortunately, I can still play with placement.
zuluwalker likes this.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #8 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I'm old, losing my hearing.....and not in mood to change again. My 9.4 suits me just fine......especially with a TEQ-12.
post #9 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'll see how much speaker wire I have left over after my next buildout. If I have enough, I'll go ahead and wire for the "Sound Objects" layer.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #10 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I'm old, losing my hearing.....and not in mood to change again. My 9.4 suits me just fine......especially with a TEQ-12.
I wouldn't disagree... When did you get your TEQ? Did you have Curt set it up?

post #11 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Oh heck yeah. 7.1.4 for me. I'm starting out the plans for home theater 2.0 as I type this. I was just going to do another 7.1 with kickers again, but might as well put in the other 4 speakers.
post #12 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I am actually wiring my theater today/tonight and spent some time in the Onkyo Atmos thread this morning. I was originally wiring my theater for 7.2 however with the Atmos news, I wired my theater for 9.2. I am having a hard time keeping speaker wire away from electrical wires as it is. I think I am maxed at 9.2. I have a small theater and drilling through studs for electrical and 12 AWG in wall speaker wire and sub cables is a tight fit. I would love to run more, but room is really an issue for me. I am just maxed out. Now on the bright side, I actually wired my 4 surround speakers on the ceiling. I am running my wire over head on the ceiling to low voltage boxes and dropping surround wires from the ceiling to my wall speakers, You won't see them, but they will feed from the ceiling. I could easily convert them them to in wall ceiling speakers and then put 4 surrounds on stands. So I could in a way run a 7.2.4.

Purely my opinion, but I believe Atmos would become very popular with wireless surround speakers. Another option would be using Ghost wire or flat speaker wire. Would be a great option for people who don't want to tear their walls up or fish wires up the walls.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 06-23-2014 at 05:28 PM.
post #13 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I wired my theater for 9.2. I am having a hard time keeping speaker wire away from electrical wires as it is.
I kept electrical toward the bottom of the wall and speaker wire near the top. If I had to intersect, it was at 90 degrees. No problems so far.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #14 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
I kept electrical toward the bottom of the wall and speaker wire near the top. If I had to intersect, it was at 90 degrees. No problems so far.
If you look at my sig and goto to my build thread, you can see my framing issues. It is a very difficult room to work in with a header at the top and I had to take out 6 windows. I had to add all new circuits to beef up the electric, so I have more wires in the way along with the recessed lighting. I am making lemonade out of my lemons. It has been challaging, not to mention I am a noob at all this.
post #15 of 92 Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, I have the denon 4520, and have 11.2 speaker set up with the height speakers on the ceiling just 45 degrees and directly facing the seated position rather than the dts neo recommendation of on front wall above the LR, so by looking at the recommendations all I need to do as add another pair just above and slightly behind the seated position for the ideal rear surround, rear height, front height to LR for fly overs from behind or viceversa. It should be much more realistic and engaging to have object based sound movement rather than the dts matrixed height and width mix now which is rather amorphous. Now I have an excuse to upgrade my amplifier and see when denon releases such a capable avr, although I did love my onkyo 805 prior to the denon.
Richard Cohen likes this.
post #16 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Wink

I think this is a plot to sell more speaker wire. And maybe speakers too.
post #17 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
I think this is a plot to sell more speaker wire. And maybe speakers too.

I wouldn't disagree but in the audio side of home theater, there have been very few, significant improvements. This is a big one!!
David Susilo and zuluwalker like this.

post #18 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I wouldn't disagree but in the audio side of home theater, there have been very few, significant improvements. This is a big one!!
Yup, the last 8 years of movie sound on Blu-ray can be summed up in one term: 8 channels of lossless audio. Finally, something new after 8 years of the same.

Sanjay
post #19 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I have heard this in an AMC theater in Orlando and it is awesome!
post #20 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I'm wiring for all available channels with four subwoofers right now. I'm at the place in my build where I can easily wire for it, so why not? To be honest, even if I had already put up the planned triple-drywall layers, I'd still cut the holes and run the wires for Atmos anyway. I've been looking forward to it that much. Folks can wait for content; I won't knock them, as each person's priorities are different. I didn't wait before getting the 4k projector, and I can't wait before configuring for Atmos. I'd rather be able to utilize the Atmos content immediately upon availability.
post #21 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You should be wiring for more than 4 subs
zuluwalker likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #22 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
My next HT speaker layout needs to be "compatible" with immersive audio content delivered as:

Dolby Atmos . . . no real info about movie content

DTS-UHD . . . no details available yet

Auro-3D . . . no real info about movie content

MPEG-H 3D . . . spec not quite finalized

ATSC 3.0 audio . . . spec barely started

So I think I'll wait a bit longer before I commit to any new layout!
_

I agree that compatibility plays a large role in my decisions moving forward too.

In the mean time, though they are more towards the discrete channel side, there is one more choice:

DTS Neo:X . . . Currently available

Though there are only three movies that feature Neo:X, many more can still be enjoyed this way through processing. And Atmos has currently Zero content. If they make all the movies from 2012 to date that were released in theaters with Atmos, that number will jump.

So until Atmos has more content, the question is will you process your 5.1 and 7.1 movies through an Atmos capable device or Neo:X capable?

ahaha okay, there are way more choices than that! But you get my drift.

Anyone have anything to add with that, or corrections I should be aware of?
post #23 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Just add water and stir

Oh and to stay on topic, I will mod my room at the drop of hat if it makes sense to do so.

The new world of X,Y,Z is very exciting to me!!

Thanks for the poll.
post #24 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I'm in as I've already ordered the speakers. Fortunately, I can still play with placement.

Did you order based on any official layout? Such as 5.1, 7.1, or 11.1 (Neo:X)?

Had you planned on wides or heights? If so, how do you plan to incorporate them to the new layout for Atmos? Do you have any limits to your modifications for layout? Such as maybe you ordered towers, and now want them on the wall, or ceiling?
post #25 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I think the poll show's how well this is being received. Like UHD/4K there is nothing consumer out there right now. It will take years to get Atmos into homes. Unless they can use software that can mimic the sounds off of a standard Blu-Ray disk. I do not know what part of the the master audio gets transferred to Blu-Ray when it's copied for home use. For this to really work, you are going to need space, and a lot of space even with the 9.1 systems as your looking at ten speakers firing around you.
post #26 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
As with anything if you have the money and inclination I see some adapting it. I don’t have an interest at most I might add two height speakers at some point.

I will eventually upgrade to a 4k projector in a few years when there is more content and cost comes into my price range. That to me will be a significant upgrade in performance than adding several more speaker channels.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #27 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Having recently finished my dedicated room I am kicking myself for not pre wiring more. There is always some disappointment when the next big thing comes along and you don't have the latest and greatest.

However there are many upgrades that I find to be more pressing and not enough money to do all of them.

I wonder how the impact of atmos could be lessened with decreasing the size of the room. Many of our rooms are quite small. I am not saying that it would not still be worth the upgrade but I wonder how much difference it makes if your speakers are already near the ceiling and reflecting all kinds of waves off of the ceiling. Will it be a night and day difference? I dunno. I am curious to find out. We may very well be entering the law of diminishing returns here. But if I find it to be an enjoyable experience and the content is there then I would go ahead and run wires (painstakingly) for the extra channels and buy more speakers along with a shiny new AVR if funds permit.
xvfx likes this.
post #28 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post
Did you order based on any official layout? Such as 5.1, 7.1, or 11.1 (Neo:X)?

Had you planned on wides or heights? If so, how do you plan to incorporate them to the new layout for Atmos? Do you have any limits to your modifications for layout? Such as maybe you ordered towers, and now want them on the wall, or ceiling?
I ordered based on Auro:

7.1 + 2 Front Heights + Two Side Heights + 2 Rear Heights - Quasi 11.5 (side heights and rear heights will get the same signal)

I ordered all monitor sized speakers (Quested) and 5 Seaton Submersives for bass.

I like the idea of wides and tried out such in my room when I had a Trinnov Demo price. Pretty amazing result. I can add them later if they can be incorporated.

I am planning on purchasing the Datasat RS-20i unless I can get a smoking deal on the very expensive Trinnov Altitude.

post #29 of 92 Old 06-24-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Many of our rooms are quite small. I am not saying that it would not still be worth the upgrade but I wonder how much difference it makes if your speakers are already near the ceiling and reflecting all kinds of waves off of the ceiling. Will it be a night and day difference? I dunno. I am curious to find out.
+1 I am struggling to see how this will work in small rooms. The rear of my room will be packed enough with channels at 7.1.....I'm not convinced adding ceiling and heights will result in any significant differences

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #30 of 92 Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What about the competition to Atmos from other companies ?

If history and past experience taught me anything it's that I should skip the intro generation and wait for the follow up that has more. I'd hate to miss out on DTS or or a third option just to be first.

There's a lack of content the first year anyways. Patience rewards you with value.

-

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page