1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 8 Old 06-24-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Solution needed for odd room shape

I have a generally rectangular room, which I'm thinking about moving my theater into. However, the room isn't a true rectangle, it is more like 2 spaces a 13x13 square and a 11x10 square. The right sides align and the left sides don't. A bathroom takes a chunk out of the rear of the room.

My layout would have a triple row of recliners in the front with a non recline loveseat behind on a riser in the narrow part. So the left hand recliner will be offset and around the corner from the left side of the loveseat. The aisle will be along the full length right wall.

Given the narrow width, I can't think of a way to place the left hand surround speaker to be viable for both rows of seating.

To complicate things the roof pitches up starting at the 5' mark, it is a space above a 3 car garage. So going higher doesn't work either.

Any ideas on how to make this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here is a floorplan. You can see the issue on the left
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room layout.png
Views:	21
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	134818  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 262
That's a tough one. About the only thing I can think of is to frame in that area on the left so it is a rectangle. You could install your A / V rack and equipment in that new wall, and perhaps Blu Ray / CD storage etc. Then you could mount surround speakers.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It looks like its not that uncommon. Check out the the vortex thread with the same room shape. I also have this issue in my soon to be theater. I was planning on putting an acoustical treatment on the wall that cuts into the room and placing the surround on the corner in question.

I also don't know the perfect location for the left surround, but here are some options I've been tossing around:

1.) Use in ceiling surrounds
2.) Moving everything to the right and use a bipolar speaker on the corner
3.) Leave everything as is and put the person I like the least in the far left seats

Share what you learn here and I'll do the same.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 02:15 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 617
I have a similiar situation add a pole and the mother of all ducts here is a in progress shot. If possible center the front row and just consider the back row as overflow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2180.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	135417  
eRob likes this.

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 8 Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 AM

Big, thank you for sharing! That is a rather inconvenient pole location. I like the idea of reducing the harsh 90 wall by framing a 45 angle. Where will the right (looking at screen) surround will be placed?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-26-2014, 05:13 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 617
right where the wire is hanging down

PROJECTS:

post #8 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 08:39 AM

I don't know how I missed seeing the wires! Thank you.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page