Quiet Rock - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-24-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quiet Rock

Ok before everyone comes back and says DD>GG and hat channel, hear me out. I know the benefits of that method, I have studied it relentlessly, unfortunately, It just is not going to happen. I would love to do it, but it is just not going to work this time around. The next theater I build will certainly be done with an architect and all the proper soundproofing for sure. I certainly understand that thread on here "what you would do different next time". LOL, I have a whole list.

I got a price today for Quiet rock 1/2" 4X8 sheet for $50. It is actually $15 bucks cheaper than the guy next door quoted me and it is in stock. So my question is, has anybody used quiet rock? I wanted to hear any feedback on how the room sounds with the quiet rock for anyone who has used it/using it.

I was just going to use 1/2" sheetrock or maybe 5/8" with Roxul insulation, but figured maybe quiet rock would give me a little more soundproofing vs just one single layer of drywall. Also I am getting the 1/2" thickness that I wanted. I know it is a little more money, but for the size of the room it is fine.

So I guess the question is, will there be any benefit what so ever using the quiet rock vs a single standard sheet of 5/8" drywall? One thing to point out is that the room has one wall attached to the house. There is nothing over head and the room sits off the house. I appreciate any feedback good or bad.

Thanks
Reef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 140
What's your issue with using clips/channel?

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.

Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Plains, Hodor, Beast Unleashed, Savoy, Roll in Reels, Creekside, CIH...
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You should use DD + GG + clips + channel instead

Sorry, haven't used it, can't provide any useful feedback.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
What's your issue with using clips/channel?
I don't have an issue. However I have windows in my room, a pocket door and also an entry door from outside. My feeling is that the room is a poor room to build a theater in, so why invest time and effort to a room that will just loose sound anyway. On the flip side I am going to hope and gamble that the quiet rock will give a little acoustical value and also help keep some of the bass inside with respect to my neighbors. If not for the neighbors, I would have just used regular rock. The neighbor left owns many exotic cars, he has a Cobra that sounds like a Nascar. He fires it up in the morning and I jump out of my pants. Does not bother me, so I feel a little bass would not bother him, but I will try to easit bit. We all have Harley's to, so the neighbor hood is used to loud machines and power equipment. Never any complaints about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgolko View Post
You should use DD + GG + clips + channel instead
To late

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 06-25-2014 at 10:59 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 171
There's no reason that you can't use double drywall and green glue without clips and channel. Have you done the math to see which would be cheaper?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I don't have an issue. However I have windows in my room, a pocket door and also an entry door from outside. My feeling is that the room is a poor room to build a theater in, so why invest time and effort to a room that will just loose sound anyway. On the flip side I am going to hope and gamble that the quiet rock will give a little acoustical value and also help keep some of the bass inside with respect to my neighbors. If not for the neighbors, I would have just used regular rock. The neighbor left owns many exotic cars, he has a Cobra that sounds like a Nascar. He fires it up in the morning and I jump out of my pants. Does not bother me, so I feel a little bass would not bother him, but I will try to easit bit. We all have Harley's to, so the neighbor hood is used to loud machines and power equipment. Never any complaints about anything.

To late
Sound isolation is only as good as the weakest link. Here's what I would suggest: figure out the lowest STC component in your room (that'll be the pocket door, I'm pretty sure) and don't go much higher for the wall assemblies.

Note that for interior acoustical performance having damped drywall is actually a good thing. Single layer sheetrock on normal 16" on center stud spacing has a nasty resonance around 65Hz. Quietrock 500 is such a product.

Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
AVS Projects: Plains, Hodor, Beast Unleashed, Savoy, Roll in Reels, Creekside, CIH...
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Sound isolation is only as good as the weakest link. Here's what I would suggest: figure out the lowest STC component in your room (that'll be the pocket door, I'm pretty sure) and don't go much higher for the wall assemblies.

Note that for interior acoustical performance having damped drywall is actually a good thing. Single layer sheetrock on normal 16" on center stud spacing has a nasty resonance around 65Hz. Quietrock 500 is such a product.
Thanks for the post. It is funny you posted in here, I was referred to you for an HTPC. That is a little ways off, but your the same guy that does that right?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Thanks for the post. It is funny you posted in here, I was referred to you for an HTPC. That is a little ways off, but your the same guy that does that right?
Yes, we build custom HTPCs - MS2 - and design, supply equipment, install and calibrate home theaters as well as acoustical consulting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page