AVS Forum banner

Youthman's Home Theater 2.0 Build

47K views 272 replies 52 participants last post by  Buddylee123 
#1 · (Edited)
Youthman's Klipsch LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0)

Current 7.2.4 Dedicated Home Theater Specs: (last updated 07/04/16)
Speakers:
(3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR
Klipsch RS-62ii Side Surrounds
Klipsch RS-62ii Back Surrounds
(4) Klipsch CDT-5800-C II In-Ceiling Atmos Speakers

(2) JTR Captivator RS2 Subs

Video:
Epson 5040UB Projector
150" Seymour Center Stage XD Cinescope (2.35:1) Acoustic Transparent Screen
PS4 for Gaming
Pioneer UBP-LX500 UHD Player
AppleTV

Audio:
Marantz AV7705 Processor with Monolith 11X amplifier

Misc:
Harmony Elite with Harmony Hub
DIY Acoustic Panels

Lighting:
Lutron Caseta Dimmers with Lutron Hub

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am excited to begin Youthman's Home Theater 2.0! I have been enjoying my HT now for a few years. Lots of changes in gear and speaker configurations as well as a TON of high quality photos that I documented in my HT 1.0 Build. Many, many thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions during my first HT build.

My HT 1.0 was built around a Klipsch Reference System consisting of RF-83 mains, RC-64 center, RS-62ii side surrounds and RS-62ii back surrounds. Recently, I purchased a pair of Klipsch LaScalas and was blown away at the clarity and dynamics compared to my Klipsch RF-83 / RC-64. I liked them so much, I purchased a third Klipsch LaScala and sold my trusty RF-83 / RC-64 front soundstage.

My current false wall was designed around the RF-83 so in order to accommodate the wider LaScalas, I have decided to redesign the entire front wall and make some upgrades in the process.

Room Dimensions: 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings.

Here are my previous RF-83 / RC64 next to the Klipsch LaScala Trio.

Here are the initial Google Sketchup Drawings that will give you an idea of where I'm headed with the HT 2.0.

See less See more
1 9
#119 ·
Received some exciting photos today. All of the pieces for the build are now complete!

Last three things before completion are:

1) Sand Entire Project
2) Stain Entire Project
3) Varnish Entire Project

As of now, we are tentatively looking at Father's Day Week to make the journey to Alabama to pick up the unit and bring it back to Florida for installation!

This piece will go above each column.

Some changes have been made from the original "Sketch Up". Since the top doors were only going to be 9" tall and my ceiling is 10', the space would be so small and a ladder would be needed to gain access to, we decided to go with a more ornate look for the top of the cabinet.

The top crown molding and the board with the medallions will extend into the room to provide a 3D effect and also so that the lighting above the screen will be able to be installed.

As you can see below, the rounded piece consists of several separate pieces of wood that were glued and sanded to give the appearance of one single piece.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

There was an extra diamond strip that was used for additional trim to help tie in the diamond pattern to the other elements.

#129 ·
Crazy detail and awesome millwork, wish I had your skill and patience.
:)

#134 ·
We ran into a snag....apparently the Stain and Poly don't like each other and if you don't let the Stain cure for a really long time (not sure how long is long), the Poly acts as a paint thinner.

Had to apply De-waxed Shellac to the stain in order to get the Poly to stick. So far, no disasters!

The bottom cabinet is finished!

#142 ·
Ok, my HT is officially TRASHED! Haha

This evening, I will paint the front wall Flat Black and touch up the ceiling where the front cabinet was installed.

My 40' Blue LED rope light arrived today. Shaun had misplaced the first set the other day and he finally found it, only to discover somehow they were broken. So I ordered another set but honestly, I wasn't super excited about buying them. The first set was cheap, around $18....this set was $48 but once I plugged it in, it looked awesome!

The rope lighting will be connected to a dimmer and will accent around the frame of the projection screen. I LOVE the blue color. Can't wait to finally have "Scenes" in my HT. Currently, I only have the 6 can lights on a Lutron Maestro Dimmer that dim over 20 seconds (which is cool). Now I will be able to have 5 Lighting Scenes with the Lutron Spacer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.