AVS Forum banner

Youthman's Home Theater 2.0 Build

47K views 272 replies 52 participants last post by  Buddylee123 
#1 · (Edited)
Youthman's Klipsch LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0)

Current 7.2.4 Dedicated Home Theater Specs: (last updated 07/04/16)
Speakers:
(3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR
Klipsch RS-62ii Side Surrounds
Klipsch RS-62ii Back Surrounds
(4) Klipsch CDT-5800-C II In-Ceiling Atmos Speakers

(2) JTR Captivator RS2 Subs

Video:
Epson 5040UB Projector
150" Seymour Center Stage XD Cinescope (2.35:1) Acoustic Transparent Screen
PS4 for Gaming
Pioneer UBP-LX500 UHD Player
AppleTV

Audio:
Marantz AV7705 Processor with Monolith 11X amplifier

Misc:
Harmony Elite with Harmony Hub
DIY Acoustic Panels

Lighting:
Lutron Caseta Dimmers with Lutron Hub

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am excited to begin Youthman's Home Theater 2.0! I have been enjoying my HT now for a few years. Lots of changes in gear and speaker configurations as well as a TON of high quality photos that I documented in my HT 1.0 Build. Many, many thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions during my first HT build.

My HT 1.0 was built around a Klipsch Reference System consisting of RF-83 mains, RC-64 center, RS-62ii side surrounds and RS-62ii back surrounds. Recently, I purchased a pair of Klipsch LaScalas and was blown away at the clarity and dynamics compared to my Klipsch RF-83 / RC-64. I liked them so much, I purchased a third Klipsch LaScala and sold my trusty RF-83 / RC-64 front soundstage.

My current false wall was designed around the RF-83 so in order to accommodate the wider LaScalas, I have decided to redesign the entire front wall and make some upgrades in the process.

Room Dimensions: 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings.

Here are my previous RF-83 / RC64 next to the Klipsch LaScala Trio.

Here are the initial Google Sketchup Drawings that will give you an idea of where I'm headed with the HT 2.0.

See less See more
1 9
#205 ·
Great video. When are we coming by for a theater demo? :)

I'm on version 2.0 myself as I mentioned to you previously in PM.

#208 ·
No maybe I'll add one tomorrow...I'm adding a "toy" to it tomorrow (assuming the deal goes through)...local Craigslist sale.

#211 ·
The other setups look good. I do have a silly question regarding the RF series speakers. They are essentially a two-way driver (big woofer and tweeter). Wouldn't a three way speaker make more sense? BTW, that's a steal what you paid for the RF speakers. Your son is lucky he's got the rig he has. As a college student I was with the lowly RB61/RC52 combo at the time. Anyways, there's ways to integrate a subwoofer into a living space and not make it look out of place. I don't know if you recall my living room setup but the Outlaw LFM-1 EX is not a small woofer yet isn't out of place.

#212 ·
The other setups look good. I do have a silly question regarding the RF series speakers. They are essentially a two-way driver (big woofer and tweeter). Wouldn't a three way speaker make more sense?
It depends....a 3-way speaker doesn't necessarily sound better than a 2-way speaker. My son started out with B&W bookshelves but they simply didn't have enough bottom end for his taste. At the time, he listed to a lot of dubstep and B&W's aren't typically known for being used for that application. LOL. We then went to Klipsch CF-2's and although better, we still kept looking. I later found a pair of Klipsch RF-7's for $400 and knew this would be perfect for that "Slam", yet would retain the detail and clarity when he plays the PS4.

For the living room setup, I began with a set of B&W DM604 S3 (which are 3-way). They sounded great and what I liked most was that it had a nice full bottom end even at low volume. The problem was when you crank them up, they began to break up. I had numerous other speakers from Klipsch RF-5 and several 3-way speakers (Klipsch Forte II and Chorus II) but none had the bottom end I was looking for. The Klipsch RF-7ii have enough bottom end, smoothe midrange and detailed top end that perfectly suits my 2ch needs.

#217 ·
Well...it looks like I'm ready to begin the journey of moving to Atmos. Here is a quick recap of my system....

My theater room is 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings. Ceiling has 6 Can Lights installed.

My current setup is (3) Klipsch LaScalas & (4) Klipsch RSW-15 subs behind a 150" Diagonal Seymour Center Stage XD Screen.

My surrounds are (4) Klipsch RS-62 II Wide Dispersion Speakers

My receiver is an older Onkyo TX-NR5008

So in order to upgrade, I will need to purchase a receiver and possibly a 2ch amp.

I definitely need some help with speaker placement since I just discovered that Dolby Atmos suggests having your surrounds at or close to ear level so there is some space between the "Listening Area" and the Atmos speakers that I will be installing in the ceiling.

I'm looking at buying 4 Klipsch CDT-5650-C II Speakers for my Atmos speakers.

I have been advised that Atmos now recommends your surrounds to be placed close to ear height. If you look at the first photo below, the right side surround is mounted directly in front of a sliding glass door via a custom steel fabricated mount that drops down behind and through the curtain so that the speaker "floats". The bottom of the speaker is 6' high because it is in the direct path as you walk into the room and I didn't want people's face to hit the speaker and getting hurt (ok I didn't want my speakers getting hit with someone's face and damaging the speaker LOL).

I don't think there is any way to lower the surround back speakers due to the entrance door.

Just looking for advice as Atmos is completely new to me.

This is an older photo before upgrading my projector and moving it outside the room but it shows you a better view of the current placement of my surrounds.

#219 ·
Well, I can't believe it but I'm actually ready to sell my 4 Klipsch RSW-15's. After only a few days with the PB16's, man, I'm blown away (pun intended). I have always enjoyed my 4 Klipsch RSW-15's. They pressurize my room but they lose authority below 30Hz and drop like a rock at 20Hz. That is not the case with the Dual PB16's.

I shared a lot of my thoughts about them in this video.

#220 ·
Checked out your video and that is going to be a big upgrade. Did you every consider DIY with your subs? With your room and space behind the curtain you could likely spend half the money and get even more performance than the PB16's. That said, I understand the allure of SVS. They look incredible and their app is pretty slick, but if you are hiding them behind a screen then a big part of the price you pay for SVS (fit and finish, looks, materials, etc) is not really relevant.

#223 ·
Keep up with the good work.
I really like your YouTube channel!

#225 ·
All I gotta say is youthman, I am a fan. The work and the detail that you and Shaun put into this is utterly amazing. I especially should thank your wife because she let you do it.

Even though I have been on this forum for a while, I just let it pass by the wayside over time. I saw one of your posts on FB and I had the page sitting in a browser for at least a month... I am glad I finally had a look at all of this. I am amazed and inspired. I have done all my wiring for my theater and now I am deciding when I want to take it all down and build everything up the way it should be for aesthetics and a proper stage. I do like the cabinets. I never thought of doing anything like that. Any regrets (sorry if I missed anything about this earlier.. there is a lot to take in!)?

I usually don't comment but this deserved my admiration. Job well done, I look forward to more updates.

#226 ·
Thank you Whsperz. It has turned out far beyond what I ever dreamed it would be. Side note...the theater room was her idea! Later I found out it was a selfish motive on her part. She figured if I had a dedicated theater, I could keep all of my speakers in there and she wouldn't have to see them. For 6 years, I kept my end of the deal by not having speakers in the living room. Then one day she said, "I guess you can have speakers in the living room......BUT.....I want a new living room set". DEAL!!! Haha. Now I have Klipsch RF-7 III in the living room. :)

I have absolutely NO regrets. Shaun literally thought of everything. Having the screen on hinges and gas shocks to hold it up...genius. Making the bottom middle section of the cabinet on rails so I can easily get behind the equipment? Amazing. He even installed a work light as well as two switches for the subs so I can easily turn them off when the wife is in bed without having to go through the receiver's menu.

I do have a question for you though....I was looking at the build thread tonight because someone commented on my channel asking how the screen was supported and I noticed almost NONE of hte images are loading on my end. If you look at page 3 of this build thread, there should be a TON of photos. I don't see any. Do you?

#231 ·
I just checked with Firefox, Chrome and Edge and page 3 is loading fine. Earlier my phone wasn't loading the images. I just looked on my phone and they say "Blocked Image" on each of the images. Not sure what's going on. I have sent an email to the admin. All of my images are loading in the Klipsch Forum where I also have the same photos posted in a build thread there.

#237 ·
Long time no chat. Hope all is well. I forget what you use for an AVR but Anthem is on sale until the end of the month. I just snagged an MRX720 I highly recommend it. :cool:

#238 ·
Long time no chat.
What's going on Nosferatu! It has been way too long my friend.

You should stop by sometime. Over the past 4 months, I have begun reviewing products on my Youtube Channel. I still have lots of cool gear that you can check out including the Parasound Halo A52+, Dual SVS PB16 Ultras, and I recently upgraded my 2ch system from the Klipsch RF-7 II to the RF-7 III.

I have been using the Onkyo TX-NR5008 but recently sold it after installing 4 In Ceiling Speakers. I'm currently reviewing the Denon AVR-X6400H, Marantz will soon be sending me their SR8012 and Anthem has an order in to send me their MRX1120. I'm definitely excited to hear the Marantz and the Anthem with their highly regarded ARC. If you still have my number, hit me up sometime or send me a PM.

#239 ·
@youthman

So if I recall, you have a Seymour AV 150" Center Stage XD screen... i think.... I am interested in the lighting behind my screen similar to like you did. So I am confused on the black backing on the screen, or do you just not use it since behind your screen is all black?.. That's what I was planning, but can you give me some confirmation.

Thanks

#240 ·
Hi @sirjaymz,

Yes, my screen is a 150" Seymour Center Stage XD. There is not a black backing with an acoustic transparent screen. Both sides are white and the fabric is a weave so the sound can travel through it. Adding bright LED's behind the screen will allow you to illuminate it.

Currently I have an LED strip along the bottom which does a really great job of illuminating the bottom part of the speakers but I really need to add another strip behind the top of the screen to illuminate the top part of the speakers.

Here is a demo I made when I first installed my "Reveal" lighting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.