AVS Forum banner

Youthman's Home Theater 2.0 Build

47K views 272 replies 52 participants last post by  Buddylee123 
#1 · (Edited)
Youthman's Klipsch LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0)

Current 7.2.4 Dedicated Home Theater Specs: (last updated 07/04/16)
Speakers:
(3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR
Klipsch RS-62ii Side Surrounds
Klipsch RS-62ii Back Surrounds
(4) Klipsch CDT-5800-C II In-Ceiling Atmos Speakers

(2) JTR Captivator RS2 Subs

Video:
Epson 5040UB Projector
150" Seymour Center Stage XD Cinescope (2.35:1) Acoustic Transparent Screen
PS4 for Gaming
Pioneer UBP-LX500 UHD Player
AppleTV

Audio:
Marantz AV7705 Processor with Monolith 11X amplifier

Misc:
Harmony Elite with Harmony Hub
DIY Acoustic Panels

Lighting:
Lutron Caseta Dimmers with Lutron Hub

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am excited to begin Youthman's Home Theater 2.0! I have been enjoying my HT now for a few years. Lots of changes in gear and speaker configurations as well as a TON of high quality photos that I documented in my HT 1.0 Build. Many, many thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions during my first HT build.

My HT 1.0 was built around a Klipsch Reference System consisting of RF-83 mains, RC-64 center, RS-62ii side surrounds and RS-62ii back surrounds. Recently, I purchased a pair of Klipsch LaScalas and was blown away at the clarity and dynamics compared to my Klipsch RF-83 / RC-64. I liked them so much, I purchased a third Klipsch LaScala and sold my trusty RF-83 / RC-64 front soundstage.

My current false wall was designed around the RF-83 so in order to accommodate the wider LaScalas, I have decided to redesign the entire front wall and make some upgrades in the process.

Room Dimensions: 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings.

Here are my previous RF-83 / RC64 next to the Klipsch LaScala Trio.

Here are the initial Google Sketchup Drawings that will give you an idea of where I'm headed with the HT 2.0.

See less See more
1 9
#243 ·
It's been quite awhile since I updated my build thread. I've added some new upgrades to the theater room.

I sold my (4) Klipsch RSW-15's that were approaching 15yrs old and purchased Dual SVS PB16 Ultras.

I also had a pair of SVS SB16 Ultras at the same time and for about a week, had a little fun with all 4 behind my 150" screen. Certainly not ideal combining sealed and ported subs but it at least made for a cool photo. LOL

#247 ·
Since installing my 4 Klipsch CDT-5800-C II Atmos In-Ceiling speakers, I finally made a decision to go with the Marantz SR8012 11.2 receiver. I wasn't sure how well it would power 11 speakers but since my Klipsch LaScalas are 104dB sensitivity, I'm sure that really helps out a lot. I had a Parasound Halo A52+ for a few months. Although it's an incredible unit, I didn't feel it added much value to my system due to the efficiency. Wish I could say I heard a drastic difference but I just didn't. I'm glad I don't have to spend extra money on an external amp.

Here are a few photos of the Marantz SR8012

#260 ·
Since installing my 4 Klipsch CDT-5800-C II Atmos In-Ceiling speakers, I finally made a decision to go with the Marantz SR8012 11.2 receiver. I wasn't sure how well it would power 11 speakers but since my Klipsch LaScalas are 104dB sensitivity, I'm sure that really helps out a lot. I had a Parasound Halo A52+ for a few months. Although it's an incredible unit, I didn't feel it added much value to my system due to the efficiency. Wish I could say I heard a drastic difference but I just didn't. I'm glad I don't have to spend extra money on an external amp.

Do you have a picture with the new equipment/rack? I'm liking your comments on the Marantz 8012! I have a 7012 and a 7025 to get it powering 11 channels similar to the 8012. I was debating finding a way to replace those two with an Anthem 1120 instead as I thought this would have a more pure/powerful sound. My Logan XT's aren't quite as sensitive as your Klipsch but they're in the 90's.

I know the Anthem has ARC but it would be a $800-$1,000 upgrade that doesn't seem worth it, and your comments make me feel a little better that I'm not missing out too much.

#250 ·
I've made some upgrades over the past two months.

I upgraded my projector from the Panasonic AE8000u 1080p to the Epson 5040UB 4K Enhancement projector. It's got a fantastic image and plenty of brightness for my 150" screen.

I replaced all of my older Lutron SPS-600 IR Dimmers with Caseta Dimmers that can be controlled through my network.

Here is a video on upgrading the dimmers and controlling it with Alexa

I just picked up a Pioneer UDP-LX500 and got it installed last night. Man it looks sweet and is amazingly quiet! Can't wait to spend some time with it.

#251 ·
I'm using an echo dot and Caseta switches in my theater also. Love it!

#252 ·
Hey Youthman,

Great thread and quite a journey. Your setup is beautiful. I enjoyed your youtube video a lot so keep them coming.

I'm about to start my second theater build in our new house and this will be the first time with a false wall to hang my new perforated screen.

Did you do treat your back wall (behind your speakers) with any sound treatment? Absorption, deflection, basstrap etc..
As for the speakers stand, I think I'll do something similar to yours as it seem very sturdy.

#256 ·
Hey Youthman,

Did you do treat your back wall (behind your speakers) with any sound treatment? Absorption, deflection, basstrap etc..
As for the speakers stand, I think I'll do something similar to yours as it seem very sturdy.
I put two extra acoustic panels behind the screen but it wasn't anything "measured". I just figured it would help with any reflections. Probably could use more.

#253 ·
It has been a while since I checked in on your thread. Looks like you have been busy.
A serious upgrade to the subs and projector, new lighting control and a You Tube channel with product reviews.
Safe to say that home theater is more than a passing fancy. :)

I re-watched your theater over-view video and was reminded of the many smart, custom touches.
The pull out center console and strut assisted screen lift are genius.

I do have a question about the lighting. What role do the switches at the entrance door play?
Now that automation is cheaper and easier than ever I am contemplating making the jump, but don't want to be reaching for an I-pad or barking out commands just to enter a room.

#258 ·
Hi David. Yes my home theater has undergone a LOT of changes. Actually, my next video will be a current Room Tour as the last one sadly was done 2 years ago.

As far as lighting, I have 5 Lutron Caseta Dimmers installed which are controlling 5 "zones" in my room. I purchased a Pico Remote that I've installed in the light switch at the entrance of the room.

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.co...~ds~dept~process~search~qdx~0~text~pj2-4b-gwh

The Pico allows me to store 3 lighting scenes and a 4th button to turn everything Off. It's basically just a wireless remote control that can either be wall mounted like I have or you can have it laying around in your room.

I wasn't sure how much I would use the voice command for lighting but I use it ALL THE TIME! Just today, I was replacing two bulbs in my arch on my cabinet. I was standing on the cabinet and was able to have Alexa turn off just the arch while I replaced the bulbs.

#255 ·
VERY nice theater. Very nice. I love all of the custom woodwork and still have a very sweet spot for Klipsch speakers. My first pair of "audiophile" speakers were Klipsch Cornwalls. I lived in Dallas in the early 70's and some friends and I drove to Hope, Arkansas and visited with Paul Klipsch. He had a pair of acrylic K-Horns that were quite the piece of art work!!

The way you engineered your liftable screen and the cabinetry that slides forward is quite impressive - and effective.

Given the efficiency of your LCRs, I can only image the kind of dynamics you are able to achieve. That coupled with your new and very excellent subs (and huge screen) must make the viewing of action movies quite immersive.

Nice job and I'm sure you get lots of enjoyment from your theater.

#261 ·
Hi Jay, I'm actually about to shoot an updated room tour video as it's been 2 years since I've made one but have lots of videos on my Youthman Youtube Channel. Hoping to have it uploaded tomorrow.

I recently reviewed the Denon AVR-X6400H, Marantz SR8012 and Anthem's MRX1120. Although I really liked the channel separation of Anthem, there were a few things that it lacked that didn't justify the $500 additional cost between it and the Marantz SR8012. I wasn't too fond of needing to use a computer to calibrate the unit, it lacked Airplay and Auro-3D but the biggest thing is it sucked a lot of the impact from the lower frequencies. We tried increasing the room gain but although it boosted the bottom end, it still wasn't as impactful and tactile as the Marantz SR8012. Some have suggested what I was experiencing with the Marantz was Dynamic EQ, which the Anthem does not have. I feel the Anthem is a great unit for someone that really likes to tweak their sound as it's very customizable. I just felt I would be paying more and getting less.

#262 ·
Really appreciate the feedback on this. So you recommended Dynamic EQ on then?

Side note, I know Anthem has more features but people rave about the ARC and as you mentioned the tweaks. For me, I just didn’t know if I would be missing out on a more “clear” sound with the Anthem. Obviously the two units will give a different sound because of the brands, but besides the lower frequencies were there any noticeable benefits playing these two on the same set of speakers? The other stuff wasn’t nearly as much of a concern for me, it was really the quality of sound that my speakers were getting.

I’ll be sure to check out your channel! Thanks again.

#266 ·
I prefer to leave Dynamic EQ ON and Dynamic Volume OFF.

Actually, Anthem has less features (no airplay, no Auro-3D, no Dynamic EQ and requires a computer to calibrate) but the channel separation is very good.

So I only have the option for Dynamic Compression and Loudness Management. Is this the setting you guys are talking about? Currently I have it set to ON and Medium. Not sure if the 8012 has different options..

#269 ·
Hope everyone is doing well! It's been a few years since I've provided an update and needless to say a LOT has changed over the last few years so I thought I would share some updated photos.

The front cabinet is the same but my room has been painted a dark grey (although it looks a bit on the greenish side in the photos) with black curtains throughout the room.

Rectangle Television Wood Television set Computer monitor accessory

Upgraded awhile back to the JVC DLA-NX7 and absolutely LOVE the image quality from it. The image below are two photos taken of the room (with lights on and lights off) and composited into one image so you can see the image quality when all lights are off.

Chin Mouth Organ Window Beard

Here is an updated tour of my room (that already needs updating

Over the past year, I have been slowly upgrading my speakers to a full JTR system.

The front sound stage is complete with JTR Noesis 212HTR for my LCR and dual JTR Captivator RS2 subwoofers.

(6) 12" woofers and (4) 18"woofers.

Public address system Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Wood Electronic instrument

Next step is to work towards adding (4) JTR Noesis 110HT-SL surrounds to replace my (4) Klipsch RS62 II wide dispersion surrounds.

Not sure if I will ever replace my (4) Klipsch CDT-5800-C II In-ceiling Atmos speakers with JTR but who knows.

Here is a video of the new JTR front sound stage. These are absolute end game for me.

#272 · (Edited)
Hope everyone is doing well! It's been a few years since I've provided an update and needless to say a LOT has changed over the last few years so I thought I would share some updated photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s an awesome HT @youthman. Congrats on having an amazing HT setup.
If I may borrow your experience, I am planning to setup the nx5 with 15’ throw distance onto a 131.9” 16:9 Seymour xd center stage screen. Could you please share your experience with brightness from your nx7 onto your 150” 2.35:1 screen. Is the HDR good and bright enough.

Could you please also share your throw distance.

Ps:
My room dimension is 19’x20’ and I plan to paint the walls dark.

Reactions: chriscmore
#271 ·
That sure is a impressive looking front stage now. You had me trying to find some la scalas with your prior setup. But that seems like it could be a very long hunt down a rabbit hole. Do you have subs any place other than up front? I don't remember from your videos. My planned room is close to the size of yours just like 2 feet shorter. And i plan to put a pair of Hs-24 up front and hope what is enough and i want to run some of the Titan 818 for my front stage. I was just wondering what size screen you are using and what the viewing distance is in the front row. Keep producing the great videos.

Randy

#273 ·
That sure is a impressive looking front stage now. You had me trying to find some la scalas with your prior setup. But that seems like it could be a very long hunt down a rabbit hole. Do you have subs any place other than up front? I don't remember from your videos. My planned room is close to the size of yours just like 2 feet shorter. And i plan to put a pair of Hs-24 up front and hope what is enough and i want to run some of the Titan 818 for my front stage. I was just wondering what size screen you are using and what the viewing distance is in the front row. Keep producing the great videos.

Randy
Don’t jump the gun, he sold those and bought JTR speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.