Suggested list of cables to projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
PApilgrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Near Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Suggested list of cables to projector?

There are some dated threads about this topic, but I would like to see what all have to lend to a minimum set of cabling to route to the projector location PRIOR to me closing in my ceiling.

My build thread needs an update which is next on my list...

That said, here is my current list of cables I already routed from rack location to projector:

(1) HDMI red mere from Monoprice
(1) 1/8" audio cable for 12v trigger maybe
(3) CAT 5e for future automation use?
2" conduit, empty for future

Things I am thinking about are possibly another redundant HDMI and maybe a component for up conversion use - I have seen issues with past processors with image quality if up converting from say composite (old gaming systems) to HDMI.

Suggest away!
PApilgrim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HopefulFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,819
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 204
The 2" conduit pretty well covers all possibilities, but you might also consider Cat6 for use with balun or whatnot, should HDMI be obsoleted. A single Cat6 cable should handle all the bandwidth any video signal could require this side of the holodeck.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HopefulFred is online now  
post #3 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApilgrim View Post
There are some dated threads about this topic, but I would like to see what all have to lend to a minimum set of cabling to route to the projector location PRIOR to me closing in my ceiling.

My build thread needs an update which is next on my list...

That said, here is my current list of cables I already routed from rack location to projector:

(1) HDMI red mere from Monoprice
(1) 1/8" audio cable for 12v trigger maybe
(3) CAT 5e for future automation use?
2" conduit, empty for future

Things I am thinking about are possibly another redundant HDMI and maybe a component for up conversion use - I have seen issues with past processors with image quality if up converting from say composite (old gaming systems) to HDMI.

Suggest away!
Looks like you're good to go.....I suggest Cat 5 could be used for IP automation......myself personally, I'd add two Cat 6/7 incase you want/need HDMI bralun.

My Build Threads


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
The 2" conduit pretty well covers all possibilities, but you might also consider Cat6 for use with balun or whatnot, should HDMI be obsoleted. A single Cat6 cable should handle all the bandwidth any video signal could require this side of the holodeck.
You're faster than a speeding bullet Fred.....beat me to it!

My Build Threads


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 04:57 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 20,845
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 617
I actually like to run a conduit to the projector and safely store all my cables out of the construction zone, Once you see a big glob of Green Glue hanging off the end of your HDMI cable you will say "I'll never do that again". I am not a member of the crew that likes to leave the conduit empty, I use it for it's intended purpose.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,

BIGmouthinDC is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
PApilgrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Near Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Looks like you're good to go.....I suggest Cat 5 could be used for IP automation......myself personally, I'd add two Cat 6/7 incase you want/need HDMI bralun.
Good info thx. I will research the balun using Cat6. This is not something that I know much about but thinking grabs the HDMI over Ethernet basics. Running a few cat6 lines is easy now...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PApilgrim is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
PApilgrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Near Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I actually like to run a conduit to the projector and safely store all my cables out of the construction zone, Once you see a big glob of Green Glue hanging off the end of your HDMI cable you will say "I'll never do that again". I am not a member of the crew that likes to leave the conduit empty, I use it for it's intended purpose.
I have already had the experience of GG in my hair (fortunately I don't have a luscious manfro) but it was still a memory making moment. Man that stuff is sticky! It's a sucky enough job putting two layers of drywall on your subfloor and dealing with all the nails from the hardwood floor above poking through, pipes, cobwebs...

Perhaps I will compromise here - since I already put up most of the ceiling insulation, I might run the CAT6 via conduit.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PApilgrim is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off