Suggested list of cables to projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Suggested list of cables to projector?

There are some dated threads about this topic, but I would like to see what all have to lend to a minimum set of cabling to route to the projector location PRIOR to me closing in my ceiling.

My build thread needs an update which is next on my list...

That said, here is my current list of cables I already routed from rack location to projector:

(1) HDMI red mere from Monoprice
(1) 1/8" audio cable for 12v trigger maybe
(3) CAT 5e for future automation use?
2" conduit, empty for future

Things I am thinking about are possibly another redundant HDMI and maybe a component for up conversion use - I have seen issues with past processors with image quality if up converting from say composite (old gaming systems) to HDMI.

Suggest away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 204
The 2" conduit pretty well covers all possibilities, but you might also consider Cat6 for use with balun or whatnot, should HDMI be obsoleted. A single Cat6 cable should handle all the bandwidth any video signal could require this side of the holodeck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApilgrim View Post
There are some dated threads about this topic, but I would like to see what all have to lend to a minimum set of cabling to route to the projector location PRIOR to me closing in my ceiling.

My build thread needs an update which is next on my list...

That said, here is my current list of cables I already routed from rack location to projector:

(1) HDMI red mere from Monoprice
(1) 1/8" audio cable for 12v trigger maybe
(3) CAT 5e for future automation use?
2" conduit, empty for future

Things I am thinking about are possibly another redundant HDMI and maybe a component for up conversion use - I have seen issues with past processors with image quality if up converting from say composite (old gaming systems) to HDMI.

Suggest away!
Looks like you're good to go.....I suggest Cat 5 could be used for IP automation......myself personally, I'd add two Cat 6/7 incase you want/need HDMI bralun.

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
The 2" conduit pretty well covers all possibilities, but you might also consider Cat6 for use with balun or whatnot, should HDMI be obsoleted. A single Cat6 cable should handle all the bandwidth any video signal could require this side of the holodeck.
You're faster than a speeding bullet Fred.....beat me to it!

My Build Threads

post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 04:57 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 617
I actually like to run a conduit to the projector and safely store all my cables out of the construction zone, Once you see a big glob of Green Glue hanging off the end of your HDMI cable you will say "I'll never do that again". I am not a member of the crew that likes to leave the conduit empty, I use it for it's intended purpose.

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Looks like you're good to go.....I suggest Cat 5 could be used for IP automation......myself personally, I'd add two Cat 6/7 incase you want/need HDMI bralun.
Good info thx. I will research the balun using Cat6. This is not something that I know much about but thinking grabs the HDMI over Ethernet basics. Running a few cat6 lines is easy now...

post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I actually like to run a conduit to the projector and safely store all my cables out of the construction zone, Once you see a big glob of Green Glue hanging off the end of your HDMI cable you will say "I'll never do that again". I am not a member of the crew that likes to leave the conduit empty, I use it for it's intended purpose.
I have already had the experience of GG in my hair (fortunately I don't have a luscious manfro) but it was still a memory making moment. Man that stuff is sticky! It's a sucky enough job putting two layers of drywall on your subfloor and dealing with all the nails from the hardwood floor above poking through, pipes, cobwebs...

Perhaps I will compromise here - since I already put up most of the ceiling insulation, I might run the CAT6 via conduit.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page