Building a Home Theater & Listening Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 07-03-2014, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Building a Home Theater & Listening Room

My wife finally parted with a portion of her terrace garden and let me build a home theater.

First off all I find myself very fortunate to build a room that can be dedicated to music listening and watching movies. The room will be 3.96 meters wide, 7.38 meters long and a height of 2.7 meters. So with a little more than 29 m2 it's not a big room at all.

We live in a duplex penthouse (5th & 6th floors with terrace rights). So, traditional construction methods are a bit difficult. I plan to take the prefab route.

Proposed HT Room area.

Columns set and trusses on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

The progress in construction of the prefab wall panels.

post #3 of 27 Old 07-04-2014, 04:44 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 619
I admire your dedication to consume a nice terrace for your theater!

those steel spanners must have a story to tell, looks like they were cut out of another building. Hope your guy knows how to weld.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old 07-04-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hi BIGmouthinDC,

Keen observation and rightly pointed out! The trusses were salvaged from an existing structure, which was in front of my 5th floor duplex penthouse supporting a shade.

I have built a new structure and converted it into a sky deck and usable space. You can see the old structure below the new one.
The old trusses are shifted to 6th floor to support the composite slab of my HT. So load bearing is not an issue.

Cheers!

Last edited by hydrovac; 07-07-2014 at 07:45 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

The 3 pics are of the composite decking sheet being fixed.... in fact yesterday...the plasterers were skimming the walls and pouring the concrete slab....

post #6 of 27 Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Gujarat?
How will you prevent the bass from rattling the metal roof?

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

Last edited by BassThatHz; 07-08-2014 at 11:01 AM.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
Gujarat?
How will you prevent the bass from rattling the metal roof?
Gujarat? nay... newly formed state Telangana!
That is not just metal roof Bass...It's going to be composite slab of 3" thick concrete laid on top of the decking sheet.

In addition, will be doing thermal insulation to the ceiling from below and acoustic panels to tame the bass.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-08-2014, 08:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

keep the construction pictures coming, we don't get to see many theaters from your part of the world.

PROJECTS:

post #9 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Started laying of electrical, speaker and signal cables. The cabling work is being carried out by a local guy and someone from my work giving him a hand.

To reduce hum and noise I want to install a dedicated line with only a single ground from the audio / home theater system to the electrical service panel. Don’t want to attach anything other than the A/ V system to this special dedicated line.

Expecting the result to be noise and hum free power with a 'deep black background'.

By this stage of the project, I have already identified the following :

• Placement of all speakers
  • Placement of A/V components
  • Placement of video source
  • Lighting needs
  • Possible future enhancements
  • Thermal Insulation & Acoustic Treatment

BTW I have provided a frame also…for supporting the screen.

I will try and post pics if there's interest...as soon as i work out how to do it....!!
I have all the kit i need already for this…mix of new and from old lounge... not top end by any means...but works for me...

post #10 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 12:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrovac View Post
acoustic panels to tame the bass
What kind of panels?

Sanjay
post #11 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Interesting screen frame, are those vertical pieces the width of the screen? is so why are they off center in the room?

Just another thought at this stage had you considered an acoustically transparent screen a little larger and then you could tuck the speakers behind the screen? I see a couple of pedestals and assume those are for your speakers.

PROJECTS:

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-10-2014 at 05:04 AM.
post #12 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Hey interesting build, where are you located?
post #13 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
What kind of panels?
Planning to treat the corners with bass traps. I am also looking into membrane type bass traps which will absorb only lower frequencies. This won't absorb the high frequencies and still retain liveliness of the music.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Interesting screen frame, are those vertical pieces the width of the screen? is so why are they off center in the room?

Just another thought at this stage had you considered an acoustically transparent screen a little larger and then you could tuck the speakers behind the screen? I see a couple of pedestals and assume those are for your speakers.
The steel is just to support the screen frame and also to act as additional bracing to the prefab wall panels.
I am going for a 154” X 69” AT screen with 2.35:1 aspect ratio…which will be 1’ away from the front wall to accommodate behind the screen speakers.
What you see is a pair of old DIY bookshelf stands.

Last edited by hydrovac; 07-11-2014 at 01:08 AM. Reason: correction
post #15 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
Hey interesting build, where are you located?
Thanks,
I am from Hyderabad...India.
post #16 of 27 Old 07-11-2014, 12:42 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrovac View Post
The steel is just to support the screen frame and also to act as additional bracing to the prefab wall panels.
I am going for a 154” X 69” AT screen with 2.35:1 aspect ratio…which will be 1’ away from the back wall to accommodate behind the screen speakers.
What you see is a pair of old DIY bookshelf stands.
Good choices, but that big of a screen will need bright projector, what do you have planned?

PROJECTS:

post #17 of 27 Old 07-11-2014, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

I have an Epson EMP-TW2000, which can project diagonal images 30in. ~ 300in. (76.2cm ~ 762cm)...with 1600 lumen and near dark HT room brightness won't be an issue.
https://www.epson.com.au/products/pr...2000_specs.asp

Anyways... this is only a bridge gap arrangement till i setup an Anamorphic lens and video processing for a 2.35:1 image.
post #18 of 27 Old 07-11-2014, 05:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

5 fl
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm

PROJECTS:

post #20 of 27 Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 39
yikes.

My Home Theater Build:
post #21 of 27 Old 07-17-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for that
Framing work completed and AV cabinet in place….cabling almost done but for one sub signal cable. Got 30 Rock wool bags delivered yesterday.
There was a leak from one point of the slab joint side…. getting the pressure grouting done today.
Entry door to the theater on the left:

Bags containing Rock wool slabs:
AV cabinet built into the window:
Ceiling panels getting ready:

Insulation panels being fixed :

Ceiling Panels fixing:

post #22 of 27 Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That looks like serious work. How will you dampen the sound?
post #23 of 27 Old 07-17-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
nice
post #24 of 27 Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Harlequin Floors and rob black,

I will measure the room response once the paneling is done. Will treat the room accordingly.

Paneling of rock wool frames almost done:

Steel trusses being enclosed in wooden beams:

Last edited by hydrovac; 07-22-2014 at 08:49 AM.
post #25 of 27 Old 07-22-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Wow, nice progress! I too am looking forward to the accoustic treatments.

post #26 of 27 Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Back row riser in place:

Front row riser:

post #27 of 27 Old 08-23-2014, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Got few sample seats today... my folks liked the red one, the design part of it and not the fabric though. Actually it is wider by 2” and comfortable than the other two.

Decided to order seven seats with individual arm rests… and different cloth material which I have to select.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page