Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wink Making Sense of Builder Wiring

Hello,
Our family just moved into a new house with a dedicated media / home theater room. The builder did an awesome job on the room (fully wired, no ambient light, acoustically dampened walls) and I'm excited to install my first projector and screen. After moving in, unpacking and setting up the rest of house I'm ready to start on the media room install. I've done enough of this stuff to get the basics, I did a simple surround speaker install in our last house etc. I was excited to pull off the gang covers and get started but when I did I was instantly baffled.

Luckily, when the were building the house we stopped by often enough and snapped a few pictures before they sheet-rocked. When I was looking at it then it made perfect sense. But looking at it now and looking at what's coming through the gangs I'm lost on a few how's and some why's. So I'm hoping you guys have seen some insight that might help.

One more note super quick. I have a wire tracer thingy that I used to figure out which wires were which in the main input gang. they're all labeled now and ready to go. So I was ready to just start installing but I'm still stuck on a few things and I can't let them go...

Looking at the Media Room picture from left to right the gangs are Left Front Speaker, RG6 / RJ45 for cable boxes etc. then Center channel gang, main input gang and right speaker gang. There are wires running to the surround left and right. You can almost see them at the top of the image. I should have taken more pictures, i know, but there you are...

The second image is what I see when I open the left, center or right gangs. I just don't get the whole bent and taped thing. Looking back at the Media Room image I see two possibilities for how they ran the wire....
1) in the input box, up the wall, into the ceiling. over, down the wall zig zagging, out the gang, bent the cable, taped it and back in the gang and across several studs towards the main input.
2) Or they ran from the input, across several studs, out the gang, bent the wire, then ran it up the wall zig-zagging and through the roof.

Anyway, I'm just not sure why the ran it all over hell and gone (is that for wire interference reasons?) and I just don't get... what am I supposed to do here? Cut the bend? Pull one or the other end out and through? I just don't understand that at all. Seems like cutting it would be a waste and if they wanted me to pull an end through, why run it all over the place.

I guess that's mostly it. I don't plan on using the center gang since my center is right above the receiver... the sub line is sweet, all set there. I can do the banana plugs and all that, no problem. Just don't understand how or why the ran the wires the way they did (that's more of an academic question for my education) or what I'm supposed to do with the bent, taped wires. That's the one I need to get answered so I can get on with this install ...

Any help of insight is appreciated.

Kaz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Media Room.jpg (113.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Front Gangs.jpg (5.4 KB, 69 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My guess is that he was in before the "high voltage" was done. He likely ran it that way to make sure you had plenty of slack in case you needed it, and to make sure if power was ran close by it wouldn't run parallel to it for any length.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It is ran that way for in walls. If you will be using towers/book shelfs/satellites ignore the pre wire and use your own wire. Almost looks like they wired right up into the ceiling also in case of in ceilings. Looks like it was done well actually. Don't see that much anymore.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 10:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 530
makes sense to me the guy was paid by the foot.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, I thought that too (paid by the foot).

Actually turns out the guy called me today; on his day off (and a national holiday... how's that for customer service?

And, yes, he confirmed that the zig zag up the wall was for in wall speakers. As soon as he said it it totally made sense. Told me to just cut the loop and wire that to the fronts (ignoring what was in the wall.

Thanks ya'll for the quick reply, I really appreciate it.

Happy 4th!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-05-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 340
What's your location? (put your city in your profile)

That guy should be one to recommend in your area!

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
What's your location? (put your city in your profile)

That guy should be one to recommend in your area!
Hi jautor

We're in Georgetown / Round Rock area.
It was done by Saber Security Systems. http://www.sabersecurityinc.com/

BTW, I spent most of the day yesterday wiring up everything. it sounding great!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 08:15 AM
FX4

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The install is actually good. You have two things going on here. First there is extra cable available to reterminate connections as time goes on because the RJ45 connectors will oxidize over time and need replaced. Second the zigzagging ensures you will not have induction onto the UTP from other sources like 110ac or the coax. Its an expensive way to do things but it's far from bad. The bent tapped wire is just a left over from the pull. Snip it off and don't worry about it.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page