Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 63 Old 07-05-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Hodor Theater build

Edit (8/23/14) I figured I'd go ahead and make this a build thread since it's going to be happening (hopefully sooner than later). I think now that, outside of a few details, I've pretty much got the final layout figured out. Projector has been purchased, screen is figured out (exact size TBD), and starting to get a pretty good idea of ways I might go with audio. Now I just need to find someone to help me build it. I don't have much intention to make this a DIY, though I will help where I can. I'd love to do sound isolation, but I'm not sure the budget allows. Several people have said they think I should be able to with my budget ($40k for everything), but I'm not sure if that assumes a lot of DIY work or not though. Hopefully it gets off the ground soon and things can go smoothly.

Below is the original post.

So I have a room that is L shaped currently, but I plan to build a partition so I have an enclosed space for the theater. That space is about 26' x 14'. The biggest issue is ceiling height (in the basement) which is 7'9" except for an area with ducting that drops to 6'10". This area is about 3' deep and starts about 14' from the wall the screen would be on. I would like to do 2 rows of seating, but I worry about having enough headroom for the row that would have to be raised some. Do I have enough room to get 2 rows in before getting to the lower section of the ceiling? I am looking at a 120 - 130 inch screen (2.35). I am also wanting to put in a bar behind the back row, and am worries about headroom there also. Any ideas or comments?

Also, I was considering a AT screen. I have talked to a couple places about my setup and one guy said he would suggest in wall speakers, and another said towers are always the better than in-wall. Is that true? I asked the guy who suggested in-wall and he said it depended on what kind of in-wall speakers you used and some were.

I also wondered if the L and R speakers were usually behind AT screens too, or if it was just the Centers usually? If the L and R are behind the screen, are there any issues when there is masking for 4:3 and 16:9 content? Does the masking affect the sound?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 08-23-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 07-05-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 200
You won't be able to get two rows in before the ceiling comes down. Have you looked at reversing the layout?

There is no rule about towers being better or in-walls being worse. Design the space, find the speakers that work.

With 235 screens it's normal for all three to be behind the screen, but doesn't have to be. Masking should be acoustically transparent as well, but I would try to avoid having both a screen and a mask in front of a speaker.
post #3 of 63 Old 07-05-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Tux has SEOS speakers mounted in wall. Best of both worlds ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 63 Old 07-05-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
You won't be able to get two rows in before the ceiling comes down. Have you looked at reversing the layout?

There is no rule about towers being better or in-walls being worse. Design the space, find the speakers that work.

With 235 screens it's normal for all three to be behind the screen, but doesn't have to be. Masking should be acoustically transparent as well, but I would try to avoid having both a screen and a mask in front of a speaker.
If you mean putting the screen on the opposite wall, I have. There are 2 small windows over there that are easy enough to cover up, and I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult just framing a new wall there that covers the windows and provides a good place for the screen. My concern there would be the available height on wall for the screen and the angle the image would need to be projected going under the lower area of the ceiling.
post #5 of 63 Old 07-05-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

That's what I mean. I suspect you'll be happier with a couple inches less screen and enough room to stand up confidently, instead of the other way around.
post #6 of 63 Old 07-05-2014, 11:08 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 608
what side of the room is the duct on relative to the door? you can just consider the space under the duct as dead space.

Working on one with a similar issue.

You can also use the booster riser strategy to preserve headroom when walking on the riser. A booster is a 3 or so inch secondary riser just under the base of the chairs. With that you get the benefit of a 12 inch riser with a walkway that is only raised 9 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2180.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	149274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1131.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	149282  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 63 Old 07-05-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the basic layout as of right now. The small room is where the water heater and all that is.

This is kind of how I was thinking, with the additional wall. Sorry for the rather poor layouts, but that's just what I could do quickly online.

The area with the ducts is just behind where I have the seats, coming from the utility room across to the outer wall.

Quote:
If speakers are typically behind a 2.35 screen, doesn't that make it difficult to avoid them being behind the masking as well?

Also, I wasn't thinking the second level of stadium seating would be on a full height riser, but something smaller like 4-6".
post #8 of 63 Old 07-05-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a good bit of user preference in seating distance, but generally the sweet spot for 235 is around 1 screen width back. That works pretty well with most scenarios: a screen about 10 feet wide - because you don't normally want to sit closer than that with an AT screen, so that you don't see the weave in the fabric or the holes (perforations) that make it acoustically transparent. So if the first row of seats puts eyeballs at 10' from the screen, and the screen is a foot or more from the wall, the second row doesn't fit in front of the low part of the ceiling. The rows can be pretty close together if you don't use recliners - I don't know exactly how close, maybe 3'? Probably 4'. Get some chairs down there and lay it out - see what's acceptable to you. If you want recliners, expect a minimum of 6' for each row ( seat back to seat back) 6.5 is much better.

It is hard sometimes to get all the speakers from behind masking. Most people don't mask all the way down to 4:3. If you are going to, I'd recommend putting L and R outside the screen entirely.

A short riser works, but it forces the screen higher in order to maintain unobstructed sight lines. That's going to make the screen smaller, most likely.

There's a lot to balance.
post #9 of 63 Old 07-10-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

I think I've decided to go with one row of 4, and the bar behind it. So, no stadium seating. Do you guys know of any good free programs that you can use to design layouts?
post #10 of 63 Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I think I've decided to go with one row of 4, and the bar behind it. So, no stadium seating. Do you guys know of any good free programs that you can use to design layouts?
Most of the members use Google Sketchup. It's free and pretty easy to use.
post #11 of 63 Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
Most of the members use Google Sketchup. It's free and pretty easy to use.
Thanks
post #12 of 63 Old 07-11-2014, 01:07 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 608
some members use napkins, just saying.
Mfusick, BllDo and domz777 like this.

PROJECTS:

post #13 of 63 Old 07-16-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
some members use napkins, just saying.
That's too high-tech for me.
post #14 of 63 Old 07-26-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I've been talking to quite a few local installers (I'm not gonna DIY on this), and there seems to be a big emphasis on design. Now, I know there is importance to speaker positioning and all that, but is there more to it I am missing? The general layout and look of the room is coming together in my head already, and everything seems pretty doable (and they agree), so I'm wondering what I would really be paying for in that regard? What kind of design advice are they going to give me (outside for their apparent love of in ceiling speakers)?
post #15 of 63 Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My plan is very similar -- one row of 4 or 5 seats, and a back bar with another 4 or 5 seats. No riser.

My advice would be to focus on the room and the acoustical properties, both soundproofing and absorption/diffusion of sound within the room envelope. Money spent on professional plan help, either layout only, or a more comprehensive plan set (the route I chose) will be the cheapest money you'll spend.

I'm using a local contractor who has in-house cabinet/millwork capability, and is willing to take direction on how to build the room.

post #16 of 63 Old 07-29-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post
My plan is very similar -- one row of 4 or 5 seats, and a back bar with another 4 or 5 seats. No riser.

My advice would be to focus on the room and the acoustical properties, both soundproofing and absorption/diffusion of sound within the room envelope. Money spent on professional plan help, either layout only, or a more comprehensive plan set (the route I chose) will be the cheapest money you'll spend.

I'm using a local contractor who has in-house cabinet/millwork capability, and is willing to take direction on how to build the room.
Actually the design has changed quite a bit from what I had originally planned. I have changed the direction of the room so as to use the other side of the "L" and implemented a riser and 2 rows of seating (3 in the back, and 4 w/love seat middle in the front). The other half of the "L" will partially remain, with the section with the windows being closed off with a new wall. The area that remains will have a bar/counter with a mini-fridge, and popcorn machine, and be where the face of my equipment rack is (the rack itself will be in the utility room). There will be a flat screen behind the bar in a recessed section of the wall, and another TV on the wall to the right of the theater screen. A curtain will be installed that can be pulled to block off the bar area when in strict movie viewing mode.
post #17 of 63 Old 08-20-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, as I mentioned I changed the design a little bit, but there's a cost.

This is the updated layout that I'm looking at:

As you can see, there is a bar area to the right of the screen. In theory it would look a little something like this when finished:

Now, the current plan is to have a curtain pulled in front of the bar area when there is dedicated movie watching (and not an excess number of people):

Now I like the concept of all of this, especially the extra TVs by the bar for football season, however my biggest worry with the design is the acoustics. I don't like not having symmetry at the front area, and I worry about the impact on the reflections. Does anyone have any ideas on what I might be able to do to either improve the acoustics of the room, or to keep one of the extra TVs should I decide to eliminate the bar and wall off that area (basically I'd bring forward the wall that's behind the bar in the layout so that it's flush with the other wall making a rectangle? My other concern is with the false wall, if I've brought the screen too far forward (It would put front row seating at 10-11 ft.).
post #18 of 63 Old 08-20-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Your current design will not work well at all for acoustics. There really isn't anything you could do to improve upon that.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

post #19 of 63 Old 08-20-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I still think you should go with one of the alternatives I made for you, Kevin. Or any other, really. As SierraMikeBravo said, acoustics won't be good with that design.

post #20 of 63 Old 08-20-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post
Your current design will not work well at all for acoustics. There really isn't anything you could do to improve upon that.
That's what I was thinking. But how much of a difference will it make? I've never had a dedicated theater, and all previous home theaters were definitely not in spaces that were ideal acoustically either.

Is there any way to still have an extra TV in there somewhere if it is walled off where the curtain would be? I'm not so concerned with the bar as with having an extra screen during football season.
post #21 of 63 Old 08-20-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
That's what I was thinking. But how much of a difference will it make? I've never had a dedicated theater, and all previous home theaters were definitely not in spaces that were ideal acoustically either.

Is there any way to still have an extra TV in there somewhere if it is walled off where the curtain would be? I'm not so concerned with the bar as with having an extra screen during football season.
The difference will be quite significant. The question would be, why do you need an extra screen in a room that is a DEDICATED theater? You can always consider a split of the video signal on one screen if you must have it in the room.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

post #22 of 63 Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post
The difference will be quite significant. The question would be, why do you need an extra screen in a room that is a DEDICATED theater? You can always consider a split of the video signal on one screen if you must have it in the room.
Well, I do plan to watch football in there too, and I always have multiple screens when I watch football. I suppose I could always just drag a TV in there on Sunday afternoons.

Then I could make it something like this:

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 08-22-2014 at 11:58 AM.
post #23 of 63 Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Why close off the 2nd area? Is that leftover space the mechanical room? I'd make that area your bar with seating and one or more TV's... Keep the theater for movies and for "serious" game-watching, but have your bar area for more casual viewing. But I'd rotate the plan 90 degrees. You don't want to have to come through the theater to get to the rest of the basement. Have the bar / casual space at the bottom of the stairs, the theater on the other side.

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #24 of 63 Old 08-20-2014, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Why close off the 2nd area? Is that leftover space the mechanical room? I'd make that area your bar with seating and one or more TV's... Keep the theater for movies and for "serious" game-watching, but have your bar area for more casual viewing. But I'd rotate the plan 90 degrees. You don't want to have to come through the theater to get to the rest of the basement. Have the bar / casual space at the bottom of the stairs, the theater on the other side.

Jeff
Yeah, the empty room is the mechanical room, and where the equipment will go. Flipping 90 degrees isn't as good of a space for the theater because of ducting and beam. That was the original plan, but was scrapped because of that.
post #25 of 63 Old 08-21-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I've pretty much decided to wall off that side and forego the curtain and bar. I will use that room as a snack room with my popcorn machine and fridge, and sort of a spillover for when there are a lot of guests over. I'll throw in my old sofas (if both fit) from my old house and setup a TV so that kids can watch whatever they watch and maybe play on the Wii. I hate not having an extra screen for football, but I can drag one in there on Sundays if need be. Though, I want to ask about having a TV mounted to the side wall (possibly in a recessed area built for the TV). If the mount had an arm on it so it could be pulled out and turned towards the seating, that would work. When not in use, it could be covered somehow, perhaps with an acoustic panel of some kind? Would that work acoustically, or still cause problems?

Sort of like this:

but probably on the other wall that is to be built.
post #26 of 63 Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Who are you using for your TV provider? DirecTV's "Genie" DVR box has several PiP modes to allow multiple game viewing, and if you're a football fan Sunday Ticket is, well, the ticket...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #27 of 63 Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Who are you using for your TV provider? DirecTV's "Genie" DVR box has several PiP modes to allow multiple game viewing, and if you're a football fan Sunday Ticket is, well, the ticket...
Yeah I have the ticket, and the game mix channel is great for football, and so is PIP. However, when my team is playing, they will be taking up the full projected picture.
post #28 of 63 Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Do a search for track mount tv. There was a guy that did an excellent tv mount for him and his wife to use a wii in the theater. It went screen against the right side wall up near ceiling when wasn't in use and used a track to bring it out into the room and rotate towards the main watching position when was in use. He fabbed up a design that was similar to a really expensive retail track mount system. It carries the power, hdmi, and whatever other cords are needed when it's brought out away from the wall.

I have a 13' wide scope screen and zoom in too block out dtvs unneeded screen details and watch on the mix channel during the first few weeks that take advantage of the entire screen but once thursday football kicks in and bye weeks I switch rooms and use my 4 tvs in the bar room to watch. Throw up 3-4 tvs in the spare room to watch if its that important to you (like it is to me) and then watch in theater on sun, Monday, and Thursday nights in theater. My 4 bar tvs come in handy during march madness as well!!!
post #29 of 63 Old 08-22-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

I had considered a track, but I think that's a little more than what I'd need, or want to do. I don't want to block the projector screen. What I was thinking about with hiding in the wall would be like this:

Build a recessed area into the wall that will be constructed:

Mount the TV in the recessed area (pull out mount).

Pull out the TV for football (or whatever):

When not in use, return TV to flush position and cover with acoustic panel:

I have no idea if that would really work or what kind of impact it would have acoustically, but it's an idea that floated into my head.
post #30 of 63 Old 08-22-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Well, I do plan to watch football in there too, and I always have multiple screens when I watch football. I suppose I could always just drag a TV in there on Sunday afternoons.

Then I could make it something like this:

I would think this isn't bad, except you don't need the wall where the TV is. You sound like you are big into fantasy if you want multiple screens going. Some projectors and such will do split screen too but you're better off going with just a single screen, and if you really need to glance at a second game, use a laptop with a streaming device (Internet service, slingbox, etc) Which will meet your goals and really cost you nothing. (no construction needed!) You can put another TV outside of the room with a bar if you really want, make that whole side space one open area, maybe with a bar, a tv, poker table, or something. A "Lounge".

Two walled off rooms like a theater & mini theater, both of which being sort of single-use dedicated spaces, is a waste of space imo.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page