• 1 Post By snickers1

post #1 of 15 Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Cabinet Hinge Help

I'm looking for help on selecting a cabinet door hinge. It will be for a 5' door 30" wide and it will be framless inset. There will be a fair bit of base and I'm looking for something that will keep the door from rattling as it will be a tight tolerance.

Both examples used visible hinges. I want concealed hinges.

Suggestions? An example of the door on a theater I'm looking to be similar to is here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7300_small.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	149850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Possible Front.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	149858  

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-06-2014, 08:28 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
I'm looking for help on selecting a cabinet door hinge. It will be for a 5' door 30" wide and it will be framless inset. There will be a fair bit of base and I'm looking for something that will keep the door from rattling as it will be a tight tolerance.

Both examples used visible hinges. I want concealed hinges.

Suggestions? An example of the door on a theater I'm looking to be similar to is here:

this is why i love gmail and how well the search works ,

here are ones Mario and I used he reommended them to me when i did my doors also

http://www.knobs4less.com/ame3180tbg10.html

Falcon Screens

post #3 of 15 Old 07-06-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
this is why i love gmail and how well the search works ,

here are ones Mario and I used he reommended them to me when i did my doors also

http://www.knobs4less.com/ame3180tbg10.html
I appreciate the reply, but I want concealed hinges. These appear to be ones that can be seen. Am I mistaken and you can't see the hinge?

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen

post #4 of 15 Old 07-06-2014, 12:09 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
I appreciate the reply, but I want concealed hinges. These appear to be ones that can be seen. Am I mistaken and you can't see the hinge?
you can see them but you really have to looking for them IMO, that site may have what your looking for, for me these worked really well and made for easy install of the door, i dunno how a concealed hinge would work when the door has to swing out?

Falcon Screens

post #5 of 15 Old 07-06-2014, 12:17 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
if the door isn't too heavy you might be able to use a Blum cabinet door hinge. The only true concealed hinge for full size doors that I have found so far is Tectus. Before you start searching for it be aware that they are pricey. around $100 hinge.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #6 of 15 Old 07-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
We use Salice hinges for all concealed hinge doors at work. Granted they are usually employed on cabinet doors, but they will work just fine if you add more while you scale up the size. Assuming the door is 3/4-1 inch thick, you could probably get away with 4 hinges up the side of the door. Would help if you can find a cabinet shop with a boring machine, couple bucks and they'll pop the hinges in the door for you. Then you'd just need to build up a place to mount the plates on the frame side and you're done. The 110-180 degree hinges work a LOT better than the 90s.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been looking and the Blum are about the same price and seem like a good fit. The Blum ones are about twice the cost of the ones Snickers posted. I'm thinking 4 per door should be okay. Most of the door is hollowed out for the fabric cloth so it is not very heavy. I just don't want it vibrate badly, so should I go 5 hinges per door?

What did everyone do to set it against? I'll have wood behind it and likely have rubber tabs to have it set against. putting a strip behind the door so it can set against be sufficient to keep it from rattling...at least from making noise.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Snickers: How did you latch your doors or keep them from vibrating? The hinges themselves?

post #9 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 07:32 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Snickers: How did you latch your doors or keep them from vibrating? The hinges themselves?

craig72 likes this.

Falcon Screens

post #10 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very nice. WHere did you get it? Same place?

post #11 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
^ Double roller catch. Get from ANY hardware store
post #12 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very nice. WHere did you get it? Same place?

post #13 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 05:03 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

nope those are easy to find i picked them up at lowe's

Falcon Screens

post #14 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I picked up the hinges you suggest. I went with Oil Rubbed Bronze to match the wood better, but I really like your choice.

post #15 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We ended up having to make the doors 1 1/2" by doubling up the 3/4" as it was not stiff enough.

So the hinges I ordered were for 3/4" doors. I need something that will work with thicker doors. Any suggestions?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page