The Escape v1.0 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-09-2014, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Escape v1.0

Long time reader first time poster. Finally got around to building my own 'Escape' and like many others on here I want to thank to all the others who have waded in before me. I hope a methods, idea, or my mistakes can help someone else. I am stealing so many ideas and advice from other build threads I am not sure anything I will do is original Anyhow on tho the build.

24' x 14'4" x 8'6" Dedicated room in the basement, started about a month ago. Front and right wall are concrete, rear and left are load bearing. Had to frame in front left half of the room, front wall, and right wall.
Right side and rear of room had a significant amount of pipes.
Construction will be OSB/GG/DD as I write this I am waiting for lumber yard to open to go get more OSB. Had to build a soffit around sewer lines, water lines, & central vac. Will build another soffit in room to house lighting, venting for projector, and cable runs for PJ.
All ran to equipment room located at the front left of theater.

Recessed 3" lights and rope lighting in a two tiered soffit. EDIT: redesigned HUGE thanks to BIG for pointing me in the right direction.

Two row seating, riser design given me some pause due to location of doors. Again BIG thanks man.

Columns will be shallow, planning on a backlit plexigass panel to simulate windows as we go to "hyperdrive"

Also will be building a handprint authorization panel on exterior or room. Still fleshing out internals.

Working with Bryan (bpape) over at GIK Acoustics for treatments. IF you are planning to build, building, or already completed get in touch with them.

I already own my speakers and audio, Def Tech BP7000, CLR3000, BPVX/P rears x4 with B&K amplification. Need a new pre-amp & DVD player...
If you have any suggestions, tips, or advice I am all ears....err eyes.
Well on to some pics...
Quick mock up

Cleaned out room, framed left front wall, started getting EXPS on concrete, got header up on right wall.

Rear shot

Adjacent equipment room

Last night

Last edited by Chaser77; 07-18-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-18-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

OSB up and sealed

Drywall up.

Finalized soffit design, HUGE thanks again to BIG. Overall design will house right side soffit and seamlessly tie in rear soffit. Left side will pipe in cable conduit and venting for PJ. Going to use Moggie's design for the exhaust fan into the equipment room.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Got some work done over the weekend.

Simple 2x4 stage with 1400lbs of sand!
Missing this pic

Riser 2x6 frame, suspended 2x4 with 2x6 bracing. Filled with fluffy stuff. 2 layers of OSB, second layer really makes the difference.

stack of mdf to work on soffits

some soffit pics

10" MDF baseboards around room, finished.

Last edited by Chaser77; 07-31-2014 at 08:07 PM.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hey Chase, looks like you're making great progress. Keep it up and keep the pictures coming! One thing that I thought I'd throw out since I just read it on another thread, is that you have to pay special attention to riser height when using sofas. If people in the back row are lying down they might have a difficult time seeing the screen. Did you use any of the riser height calculators?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
Hey Chase, looks like you're making great progress. Keep it up and keep the pictures coming! One thing that I thought I'd throw out since I just read it on another thread, is that you have to pay special attention to riser height when using sofas. If people in the back row are lying down they might have a difficult time seeing the screen. Did you use any of the riser height calculators?
I did use the riser height calc on this site and what it came up with gave me a problem, 14" high riser add that into my original box style design for soffit well, everyone is going to need to be very short... I did address it in a post which BIG helped me with. With a change to soffit design plus what he suggested allowed me to raise the screen and lower the riser height. Current height of riser w/o carpet is 7.5" that's 1" off than suggested. with either a boost or different legs on rear seating that will compensate for the difference. Here is the post that BIG helped with.

Riser, need some help
post #6 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Finished baseboard and trim I made all the way around, rear shot of the room.

PJ box

Bottom side of PJ box, which I want removable, trying to figure out how to incorporate this item to stick with my Escape Pod theme.
http://www.advantecstore.com/hatchac...ity_13281.html

Ordered Carpet, used GoM FR701 Cobalt blue as a color sample for wall color

NEW STUFF!
Front wall treatments from bpape @ GIK Acoustics! Seriously if you haven't had a discussion about your room with these guys, call now. Phenomenal customer service, timely delivery, outstanding products....

Last edited by Chaser77; 07-29-2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Added hatch wheel pic
post #7 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser77 View Post
with either a boost or different legs on rear seating that will compensate for the difference.
Glad to hear you have it worked out. I figured you did, but thought I would check in with you on it just in case. I would feel extremely guilty if you had a big OOPS later in your build and I had not mentioned it! Everything is looking great. Please do include pictures of the GIK products as you install them.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Primed the whole room. Highly recommend Kilz PRO-X PVA primer. Goes on easy, good uniformity, and did not soak up into the MDF on the soffits and baseboard.
First coat of black on front wall/ceiling. Wow the room got dark fast need to get lighting finished.

mock up of the screen. Feels like it sits too high.....thoughts?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser77 View Post
Primed the whole room. Highly recommend Kilz PRO-X PVA primer. Goes on easy, good uniformity, and did not soak up into the MDF on the soffits and baseboard.
First coat of black on front wall/ceiling. Wow the room got dark fast need to get lighting finished.

mock up of the screen. Feels like it sits too high.....thoughts?
Great tip on the Kilz PRO-X PVA primer.

The screen looks a little high from your photos. Grab a chair (or box, or ladder, etc) that approximates the final height of your seating so that you can get an idea of where your eyes will sit in relation to the screen. They should be positioned in the bottom 1/3 of the screen.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Robert I did that prior to post and it works perfectly just where it sits I went ahead with that positioning. Thanks for reply!
Now some updated pics, been working at it daily.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Goal post installed, ended up using 1x4 (.75 x 3.5) poplar. sandwiched & glued feels pretty sturdy as small as it is. I framed it so that 1" will be outside of the screen frame to have something to attach the fabric panels to.

Lighting finished. Went with these in the riser they are much briter than I expected.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Wiring-...ED+step+lights
All lights on

Lights off

Front. They cant be on with movie showing they actually light up the front of the room. Added louvers still shines to front of the room...
post #12 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Soffits up, recessed lighting installed.
TIP: Have a plan to get better lighting in the room after you paint the ceiling. It gets dark quick

Crown trim mold to hide rope lighting.

Rope Lights installed and I am a little disappointed, they are not nearly as bright as I had hoped. They give a soft blue glow approx 3" above the trim. if you have a short soffit they will be fine. My lower soffit is 7" second is 11"
I purchased these from 1000bulbs.com they were very helpful and would recommend them.
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/h...ue-rope-light/
Inexpensive, I will replace with LEDs here soon.
Pics make them look brighter than they are.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Everything is painted, electrical done, carpet installed. Working on acoustics then GEAR!!

post #14 of 14 Old 08-09-2014, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking good. That's some amazing one month progress, keep it up!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page