Home Theater Acoustic solutions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lightbulb Home Theater Acoustic solutions

Hello, I am building my home theater and looking for room acoustic solutions. I want to partly cover walls (they are concrete).
I was looking for wall panels for a month and finally found a manufacturer of custom acoustic panels. They allow me to choose from different dimensions and depths, plus, they can built me custom dimensioned panels. They also allow to print customer's ideas on them - graphics or photos, what I think is very welcome to personalise my own theatre and by looking at technical data, they are very effective in comparison to foam panels. Unfortunately they do not offer bass traps at the moment.

I wonder if bass traps are even needed in home theatres ??

The manufacturer is called RW Acoustics (just google it) if it helps anybody.

I do not want to add any object in my theater later, I want to find everything in advance.
Thank you very much for your answer.

Mario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioR View Post
I wonder if bass traps are even needed in home theatres ??
short answer; bass-traps are always needed

HT: CLASSE CA-5300 DELTA - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - DENON 4520CI - B&W 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2, SA Talent - VAN DEN HUL - GIK ACOUSTICS - AUDYSSEY Pro Kit - SAMSUNG ES8005 46" - MAC Mini Late 2012 i7/16GB/SSD - SYNOLOGY NAS 50TB
HP: Oppo HA-1 - Audeze LCD-3(Fazor), LCD-XC - Sennheiser IE 800 - Cambridge DacMagic Plus - Beyerdynamic T5p, T70p
post #3 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berland View Post
short answer; bass-traps are always needed
Thanks for quick answer, so I am going to search for bass traps further
post #4 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If you want the sound to be smooth (non muddy with punch) on the low end then yes you need bass trapping and a lot of them.
http://gikacoustics.co.uk/video_bass-traps/

We also do prints on the front of panels. Just make sure they are not using screen printing, but using a dye sublimation process. It is important that the sound can travel through the fabric, not reflect.
http://gikacoustics.co.uk/product/gi...oustic-panels/

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

post #5 of 16 Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
If you want the sound to be smooth (non muddy with punch) on the low end then yes you need bass trapping and a lot of them.

We also do prints on the front of panels. Just make sure they are not using screen printing, but using a dye sublimation process. It is important that the sound can travel through the fabric, not reflect.
http://gikacoustics.co.uk/product/gi...oustic-panels/

I already saw gik products, but here is the problem that i came to - the price.
I own home theatre equipment that costs 120.000$. I can not imagine to full equip my room with panels that costs up to 3.000$. It just does not make sense to have such an expensive system and relative low budget panels.
I believe gik are working great, but I want best quality products in my room, just like my system - and it seems that RW Acoustics are the only one that are making high end acoustic panels, just look at the details of their products. I believe every user of high end system will confirm this.

I think i will look for custom made bass traps that can be hidden.

Thanks for your answers!

Mario
post #6 of 16 Old 07-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think i will look for custom made bass traps that can be hidden.

We also do a lot of custom size things for "picky" customers and have customers that have spent WAY more then 150k on equipment. Needless to say my point was if you plan on using prints on the fronts just make sure they use dye sublimation printing vs screen printing. I most say that RW's wood trim panels do look pretty nice. The others are just common fabric wrapped panels.

Best of luck on your room.

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

post #7 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

I think there will be acoustic expert needed to define how and where to build bass traps. Was looking something about helmholtz type of them, don't know yet..

I checked and they use digital print directly to acoustic fabrics, so i believe it does not effect the sound?

Well, they are not just common fabrics wrapped panels, although basically this is it. Panels are precisely finished with rear aluminium frame, offering to mount them with distance from the wall, some kind of side perforation too.. A lot of additions after all..
I don't have any wooden furniture plans in my room, so Luxury series is not my wish, but they do look pretty amazing, i agree
post #8 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I checked and they use digital print directly to acoustic fabrics, so i believe it does not effect the sound?

Perhaps have them send you a sample of something printed. You could then try the "blow" test to see how transparent the fabric is. Basically hold it up to your mouth and blow through it. If it is hard to breath through then it might not be the best way to go. You want the fabric to be as transparent as possible.

Quote:
Was looking something about helmholtz type of them, don't know yet..

Nothing wrong with something tuned but small rooms have nulls, peaks and decay throughout the lows and mids. Generally I would recommend a good dose of broadband and then follow up with something tuned if you still have problems.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/7597560-post146.html

Here is a few things that might help you further understand how low end reacts in a room.
http://gikacoustics.co.uk/understand...bass-trapping/

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

post #9 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Perhaps have them send you a sample of something printed. You could then try the "blow" test to see how transparent the fabric is. Basically hold it up to your mouth and blow through it. If it is hard to breath through then it might not be the best way to go. You want the fabric to be as transparent as possible.
They already have their data of absorption on their page, but I will do that anyway.
Thanks for links too. So I will probably buy panels first, then add some bass tuned system if needed, but I will need measurement anyway I think..

I also found LED Backlight in Professional series of RW Acoustics panels very useful to make ambient lighting in my theatre

Hard job to combine everything...

Mario
post #10 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioR View Post
I already saw gik products, but here is the problem that i came to - the price.
I own home theatre equipment that costs 120.000$. I can not imagine to full equip my room with panels that costs up to 3.000$. It just does not make sense to have such an expensive system and relative low budget panels.
I believe gik are working great, but I want best quality products in my room, just like my system - and it seems that RW Acoustics are the only one that are making high end acoustic panels, just look at the details of their products. I believe every user of high end system will confirm this.
Keep in mind that even though RW Acoustics are built in higher quality. The acoustic properties of GIK are better (they have more advanced options and performance). In short, GIK performance are better than RW Acoustics.

HT: CLASSE CA-5300 DELTA - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - DENON 4520CI - B&W 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2, SA Talent - VAN DEN HUL - GIK ACOUSTICS - AUDYSSEY Pro Kit - SAMSUNG ES8005 46" - MAC Mini Late 2012 i7/16GB/SSD - SYNOLOGY NAS 50TB
HP: Oppo HA-1 - Audeze LCD-3(Fazor), LCD-XC - Sennheiser IE 800 - Cambridge DacMagic Plus - Beyerdynamic T5p, T70p
post #11 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berland View Post
Keep in mind that even though RW Acoustics are built in higher quality. The acoustic properties of GIK are better (they have more advanced options and performance). In short, GIK performance are better than RW Acoustics.
Very hard to say about performance if you did not try both products, because they use same absorption material and by looking at technical data they are very close, rw even better at low frequencies.. I believe the effect is almost the same. I really do not see any "advanced" options in broadband range of gik panels while rw has spacers and side perforation, if you call these "advanced"options..

I think your answer is more like "preferring gik over rw for reason that I don't know".

I need high quality broadband panels first and then i will look at lower frequencies just likeGlenn said.

Don't get me wrong, but high quality is important for me (after all I will have these panels forever, i hope), even the effect is almost the same and RW really have high end quality products.

Mario

Last edited by MarioR; 07-20-2014 at 12:56 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 03:06 PM

For standard GIK acoustics plates; performance is close; but on GIK you can add built in scatter plate (built in; for diffusing high fequencies in addition to absorbing them... giving a more natural end result.
In addition GIK got a large selection of products for bass-traps in addition to other types of products. From what I`ve seen; these selections can not be found in RW acoustics products.

post #13 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
ery hard to say about performance if you did not try both products, because they use same absorption material and by looking at technical data they are very close, rw even better at low frequencies.. I believe the effect is almost the same. I really do not see any "advanced" options in broadband range of gik panels while rw has spacers and side perforation, if you call these "advanced"options..

We actually build in the air gap which is one of the reasons why they do perform better then most.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, but high quality is important for me (after all I will have these panels forever, i hope), even the effect is almost the same and RW really have high end quality products.

There products do not look bad at all but I stand behind ours being high quality also.

Good luck with your room!

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

post #14 of 16 Old 07-21-2014, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We actually build in the air gap which is one of the reasons why they do perform better then most.

There products do not look bad at all but I stand behind ours being high quality also.

Good luck with your room!
I am not saying gik has bad quality, not even close, really. But there are differences in final finish and precision in build as I saw.. I know about air gap at gik, rw went even further with spacers. There are details which count here (well, for me it is important).. Thanks for help Glenn
post #15 of 16 Old 07-21-2014, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 77
http://www.auralex.com/theatre.html Auralex is who i have used for years on the commercial side of cinema. Great company great products.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-24-2014, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
http://www.auralex.com/theatre.html Auralex is who i have used for years on the commercial side of cinema. Great company great products.
I know about auralex, but they have foam acoustic solutions, not so effective that i need.

Thanks anyway

I just got the printable sample from RW and the fabrics is just like Glenn described, so it is OK. I think I will order panels from RW Acoustics and then call someone to measure my room to find out about bass traps..

Glenn, thanks for your help again! Can you please tell me some more about gik bass traps?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page