Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-10-2014, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
room planning questions

Sorry for the long post.

I just signed a contract for a house that will be built in a new housing development that will have a "media room" according to the floor plan. My very vague open-ended question is what things should I plan for before the room is built? There are a couple of big limitations:

1. Budget. Almost all money will be going to downpayment, etc. So money will be pretty tight.

2. I can't make any significant structural changes without paying through the noise for changes to the stock floorplan since the builder only allows for superficial changes in their design center. So things like tiered levels on the floor or false walls are probably out. Not that I couldn't add those later, but it's probably not something I can do in the initial room build.

That said, I have a couple of things working for me:

1. Time. The house will take 8 months to complete and they haven't broken ground yet. So I have time to do research, planning, etc.

2. Their design center options. I haven't had my first appointment at their design center yet and I understand they have some limited options for "media room" support (cabling, in wall/ceiling speakers, etc.). I don't know what the extent of the options are yet though, but I should be able to easily do things like plan out where power outlets will be, have some cabling run in the walls, and other things like that I'm pretty sure.

The room is 17'11" by 12'10" with one door on one of the 17'11" walls. It also has an adjacent storage closet on the same wall with the door that has access from outside the room. I already have a projector so I know I will need power in the ceiling at least. The wife would prefer the electronics to be hidden, but she could live with a single discreet shelving unit in the corner if necessary. I could use the storage closet for that, but I'm not sure what to do about the Xbox One kinect sensor in that case.

So I'm really just looking for some advice on things that I can plan for now to save me time/money later. I want something home theater like where I can watch TV/Movies and play XBox occasionally.

Sorry again for the long post. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
HUGE FACTOR.... how important is sound proofing to you?
Prewire and run flex conduit
post #3 of 5 Old 07-11-2014, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
HUGE FACTOR.... how important is sound proofing to you?
Prewire and run flex conduit
It's a good question. My first reaction is "not really important at all". My family is pretty sound tolerant and we don't tend to really crank the sound up anyway, but I feel like I may be overlooking something obvious. In my head, the cons to not sound proofing are:

1. Might be heard outside the room when turned up loud - I don't think I care because I tend to keep things on the quieter side anyway.

2. I might hear external noise while watching the movie - I can live with that. 90% of the time the whole family watches movies together anyway so external noise would be hard to notice over my wife constantly shouting at the kids to stop talking during the movie anyway .

3. ?

I see how much time and effort people put into soundproofing though so I feel like there are other significant benefits that I am overlooking.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-11-2014, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would mark up a plan of the room and post it
This will allow people to comment and recommend locations for the speakers, prewire runs, etc.

One thing I definitely learned on theater 1.0 (pre discovering AVSFORUM) is the benefits of conduits.
The more and bigger the better
post #5 of 5 Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwe View Post
Sorry for the long post.

I just signed a contract for a house that will be built in a new housing development that will have a "media room" according to the floor plan. My very vague open-ended question is what things should I plan for before the room is built? There are a couple of big limitations:

1. Budget. Almost all money will be going to downpayment, etc. So money will be pretty tight.

2. I can't make any significant structural changes without paying through the noise for changes to the stock floorplan since the builder only allows for superficial changes in their design center. So things like tiered levels on the floor or false walls are probably out. Not that I couldn't add those later, but it's probably not something I can do in the initial room build.

That said, I have a couple of things working for me:

1. Time. The house will take 8 months to complete and they haven't broken ground yet. So I have time to do research, planning, etc.

2. Their design center options. I haven't had my first appointment at their design center yet and I understand they have some limited options for "media room" support (cabling, in wall/ceiling speakers, etc.). I don't know what the extent of the options are yet though, but I should be able to easily do things like plan out where power outlets will be, have some cabling run in the walls, and other things like that I'm pretty sure.

The room is 17'11" by 12'10" with one door on one of the 17'11" walls. It also has an adjacent storage closet on the same wall with the door that has access from outside the room. I already have a projector so I know I will need power in the ceiling at least. The wife would prefer the electronics to be hidden, but she could live with a single discreet shelving unit in the corner if necessary. I could use the storage closet for that, but I'm not sure what to do about the Xbox One kinect sensor in that case.

So I'm really just looking for some advice on things that I can plan for now to save me time/money later. I want something home theater like where I can watch TV/Movies and play XBox occasionally.

Sorry again for the long post. Thanks in advance for any help.
Hi Manwe

I had my colleague ask me this question on a Google Hangout we recorded yesterday so that I could respond in full as typing takes me too long (I type like I have hooves for hands!). You can see the video here:

At 1.47 minutes in I begin my response to my colleague as he completes reading out your question.

So I hope it helps and please let me know if you need any further advice.

Thanks
Dennis
Acoustic Engineer
Acoustic Fields
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page