Rear Speaker Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-10-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rear Speaker Placement

It's been a while since I've been here - great to be back!

I've gone through the process of building a "theatre room" once before, and I have to say I was pretty pleased with the results. It wasn't anything fancy, just a 19x15 room that I created while finishing my basement that had wiring, a screen/projector etc.

I'm now finishing the basement in my second place and it's going well - framing is almost done. Our house is very open concept, so in keeping with that we're going with an "L" shaped room. Not ideal for home theatre purposes I realize, but I now have kids, so some concessions need to be made like room for toys.

I've gone with a bigger screen this time around, which is approximately 109" in size. I can't recall exactly, but it's much bigger than before. You can see in the attached diagram where I'm putting it. This works fine for the most part, but I'm a bit confused about where to put my rear speakers.

Again, you can see on the diagram where I'm thinking of putting them, but I'm wondering if they're close enough. The couch is going to be about 15' from the screen, and the rears would be about 10' to 15' behind the couch. It's really the only place I can put them because there's no wall on the one side. The only other thing I could think of was mounting the rears in the ceiling behind the couch somewhere. Not sure I could go that with my current bookshelf speakers as they're on the large side, so I'd have to buy in-ceiling speakers I'm thinking if I went that route.

Any tips or recommendations from guys/girls out there far more knowledgeable than I out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_071014_091815_AM.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	155506  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-11-2014, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If it was me I wouldn't put the surrounds behind you. Surround Backs yes (7.1) but not Surrounds (5.1).
If budget allows you could go with something like these http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rcs-ii or http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rss-ii
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page