Complete DIY Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2014, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red face Complete DIY Build

Hi folks, First off, Big thanks to all the helpful members of this site for sharing all their expertise and knowledge. I've been visiting this site for many a years and its my favourite go to place for anything av. I've been messing about with speakers, amps and projectors from the minute I could afford them.I am in the process of building a new house in Australia and I am lucky enough to be having a dedicated home theatre. This is a complete DIY project, The house is only at slab level but its time for me to start making decisions. First off is the room Dimensions 5.1m X 4.4m, I've decided to put the screen on the longest wall(Not the best for acoustics but I just started a family and we have lots of friends with young kids)so I am trying to make the room family friendly as much as I can while still keeping it as close to a modern theatre as possible.
I have two options with the seating which is the biggest choice I have to make first, I have both modelled up in sketchup (Great free programme for any body planning a theatre or games room) and will upload them now. I would love to hear any comments you all have and which set up you would choose and why and I hope you can follow me through the entire build. At this stage I will probably go with the larger sofa, Its 5m x 2m!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home theatre 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	160161   Click image for larger version

Name:	home theatre 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	160169   Click image for larger version

Name:	home theatre 3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	160177   Click image for larger version

Name:	home theatre big couch 1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	160185   Click image for larger version

Name:	home theatre big couch 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	160193  

Click image for larger version

Name:	home theatre big couch 3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	160201  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Just found a nice set of recliners so I'm going to go with them. They fit perfectly in the room and it wouldn't really feel like a home theatre without recliners would it?
House in only 5 weeks from completion!!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Time to do a quick equipment list,
I have a temporary set up in my current home, Epson 8100, Denon AVR-981 and a few dali speakers set up.
The new list will look like this.
Projector- JVC X500
Amp - Pioneer lx87/lx88
Speakers - Dali Concept 10s(love), Concept centre, concept sub and concept 1s as surrounds(still undecided between 5.2 and 7.2.)
Screen - DIY Evo Ultra 4K: 1.26 gain 3000mm x 1660mm 16:9 screen with DIY motorised 3 way masking system with preset positions for
2:35.1 3000mm x 1240mm(anoramic movies)
16:9 2500mm x 1410mm (Standard movies)
16:9 2215mm x 1245mm ( 3d movies)
Games - Ps3 and Ps4
Blu-ray player - Oppo -103 Darbee edition,
I have gone for a 3 way masking system as I want the centre channel as close to the screen as possible in all aspects.
The entire front wall will be covered in black velvet. Speakers will be painted matt black and then maybe covered in velvet depending on how much the paint reflects .
The walls shall be a dark grey, The carpet dark grey or black and at some stage I would like to do a fibre optic star effect ceiling. The side walls shall also have 75mm Acoustic panels spaced off the wall.
I have not decided on the colour of these yet(probably red or blue).
Also planning on putting bass traps in all the corners and maybe some diffusion on the rear wall.
There is one window high on the rear wall (Legally reguired) which I may black out from outside.
Equipment will be kept in a cooled DIY unit under the screen,
Also hoping to have enough space for all my media( Blu-rays and a NAS server)
The room will be pre wired for 9.2 for future proofing.
Eventually everything shall be controlled by Zwave and Mi Casa Verde veralite.

Last edited by stephendonaghey; 10-12-2014 at 04:07 AM.