Corner Bass Trap Methods - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Corner Bass Trap Methods

I am placing corner bass traps in the rear of my theater. In my particular setup, I want a very simple and flush appearance along the rear wall so I do not want the angled corner traps in that spot and I don't want to build out a box into the room for them either. My mechanical room is behind the rear of the theater so I would like to build the enclosed box INTO the mechanical room so I can have everything on the rear wall look flush.

My question is how deep does the trap need to be? More appropriately, how thin can I make that area for the bass trap? I will not be placing a sub within the trap enclosure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Bass Trap Locations.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	164833  

My Home Theater and Game Room Build -- IN PROGRESS
THE SPUD CELLAR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I would make it as thick as possible and as wide as possible. If anything I would make them 16" deep.

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

post #3 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just curious, have you determined that you have acoustic issues you are specifically treating? If so I would think that would be driving your bass trap specifications, and you should be tailoring your selection to your specific issue. For example, what's your sub and speaker placement, other wall treatments, furniture setup, etc, where are your nulls and peaks frequency-wise, and so on? I suspect any recommendations you would get based on the info you've provided would still be a bit of a shot in the dark.

Having said that, I'm a local customer of GIK Acoustics so I would certainly respect anything mifipie has to say!
post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Just curious, have you determined that you have acoustic issues you are specifically treating? If so I would think that would be driving your bass trap specifications, and you should be tailoring your selection to your specific issue. For example, what's your sub and speaker placement, other wall treatments, furniture setup, etc, where are your nulls and peaks frequency-wise, and so on? I suspect any recommendations you would get based on the info you've provided would still be a bit of a shot in the dark.

For sure there will be other areas of the room you will want to treat (great to point out), but doing the corners is beneficial to low end control. The point is to make them as thick as possible and cover as much area as you can.

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
I would make it as thick as possible and as wide as possible. If anything I would make them 16" deep.
Thanks for the response. I can definitely go wide in my space as it is just the mechanical room at the rear. The only other thing I will have back there is the AV rack centered on the rear wall (13'-6"). So how wide is wide? I currently have the width of each corner set at 2'-0".

As far as deep, I can definitely do 16" on the rear left corner but not much more as there is water faucet at ground level of water main and water heater just beyond that. On the rear right, I am much more limited in depth with the furnace right there. I think I can only get 12" depth on the rear right.

The photo should give some idea of what limitations I have. I am reframing that wall next week to accomodate my final design layout.

Any further recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0020.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	168769  

My Home Theater and Game Room Build -- IN PROGRESS
THE SPUD CELLAR

Last edited by sillywilly; 07-18-2014 at 06:22 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
From what I have read around here over the years, you cannot have too much bass trapping. I would go with the advice to go as wide and deep as you can.

Stef
post #7 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 168
What is the recipe for such? I temporarily have access to the front corners of my room behind the screen (where the subs reside)?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #8 of 8 Old 07-20-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You can check the ideal placement for bass traps here (amongst other very interesting info about this subject):
http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#bass%20traps

My current plan is to make several traps in the corners, like the ones in Figure 3a.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page