New 20x11 Home Theater Seating? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New 20x11 Home Theater Seating?

I just moved into a new house and the only possible space I have to build my new dedicated home theater is 11x20. I am planning to have the screen on the short wall but want to fit as many seats as possible into the room without sacrificing function. The room has an exterior door on the back wall, do you think it would be at all possible to fit 2 rows of seats and a small bar for extra seating? With only 11 feet of width I'm assuming there is no real way to fit a row of four across, but I would really like to have room to seat 10 people. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
You could do those double love seat style seats, basically two in one side by side. Two rows. That's best you can do I think. The extra seating could be 4 bar stools overlooking back row on a countertop.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 205
You "can fit" as many as fit, but how many will fit in an area with good sound and a good view of the screen? Not ten.

My room is 12x22 and I have limited myself to 2x3 - no bar.
Mfusick likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
You "can fit" as many as fit, but how many will fit in an area with good sound and a good view of the screen? Not ten.

Thanks for the replies, would having the counter behind the second row of 3 interfere significantly with the sound? I think that in order to use the double loveseat setup I would have to left align the seats instead of keeping them centered in order to keep a big enough aisle. I hadn't really thought of this, just out of curiosity if people don't center their seating do they normally center the screen with the room or with the seating?
post #5 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sitting to close to walls will not sound good. Good points.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbiegaf3 View Post
...would having the counter behind the second row of 3 interfere significantly with the sound?
...if people don't center their seating do they normally center the screen with the room or with the seating?
The bar is technically a source of reflections hat should be avoided, but I wouldn't worry about that. As long as it's not between ears and speakers, it's okay with me. If you can make it fit, enjoy. Sometimes the front row is too close if you try to squeeze in too much.

I would always center the screen and speakers. If you sit off-center, then you just sit off-center. As Mfusick was saying, however, sitting near the walls is detrimental. You are too close to the surrounds and the bass will be peaky.

At some point, you have to differentiate for yourself which seats are important, and which you need for overflow. If you really need a space that sits 10 for critical viewing and listening, 11x20 is insufficient. So like I said: you can fit whatever fits, but the middle 50% of the room or so is where the action is.
Mfusick likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The bar is technically a source of reflections hat should be avoided, but I wouldn't worry about that. As long as it's not between ears and speakers, it's okay with me. If you can make it fit, enjoy. Sometimes the front row is too close if you try to squeeze in too much.

I would always center the screen and speakers. If you sit off-center, then you just sit off-center. As Mfusick was saying, however, sitting near the walls is detrimental. You are too close to the surrounds and the bass will be peaky.

At some point, you have to differentiate for yourself which seats are important, and which you need for overflow. If you really need a space that sits 10 for critical viewing and listening, 11x20 is insufficient. So like I said: you can fit whatever fits, but the middle 50% of the room or so is where the action is.
Definitely makes sense and I appreciate the advice. All 10 seats do not need to be set up for optimal viewing and listening, just need some room for overflow. For the most part it will only be 2-6 people watching but every once in a while I will definitely have more. I'm assuming the middle seat of the middle row is where I will be for the most part so that's the important spot:P
post #8 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Take a look at my build I have very similar dimensions.

I think if I went with all the seats being palliser banff seats I could of gone rows of three. They are only 29 inches wide and comfortable! I really like them, so does my wife. With a bar at the back you might be able to pull off 9 ppl. Might be slightly tight. You could always go with more traditional theater seats. That wouldn't be a problem seating 3 rack row.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think 3 seats per row, two rows... 6 seats total + another 4 behind the back row at the countertop overlooking the back row is your best bet. The back 4 won't be choice seats, but for sports or entertainment nights it will be ok. You might not use them as much as you think anyways. No one seems to.

-

post #10 of 11 Old 07-17-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbiegaf3 View Post
..... With only 11 feet of width I'm assuming there is no real way to fit a row of four across, but I would really like to have room to seat 10 people. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Why not go with actual movie theater chairs? They are less than 2 ft. wide so four across would be under 8 ft. That's what I did and my room is approx. 11' 6" wide x 20' long. I got 12 of them in there.

Mark A. Torre

post #11 of 11 Old 07-17-2014, 03:08 PM

Liked: 13
2 rows of 3 seats... You can have folding chairs behind the second row. There might be space for folding chairs else where as well..
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction
Gear in this thread - 20x11 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page