How much $$ is too much for a home theater? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Recommended home theater investment = WP√(fV/10)

where

f = Frequency or number of movies watched per year
W = Wife Factor (1 if she monitors finances closely, 5 if she doesn't)
P = Political Economic Climate (2 if POTUS is Republican, 1 if Democrat, 0 if it's Obama)
V = Home Value
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't have a dedicated theater room but have a man cave..
So far I spent: $1100 <-- years ago on 4 Mirage OMD-5's , 1 OMDc-1and M8 Sub got a hand me down Marantz receiver Free..
I Just bought a 65" 4K TV for $2500 and 2 Mirage OMD-15 speakers to make my system 7.1 for $800
Total spent $4400 but will need a new Reciever for 4K content prob about $1,000 more so $5500 Total when Done (I HOPE)

I
post #33 of 49 Old 07-19-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
where
P = Political Economic Climate (2 if POTUS is Republican, 1 if Democrat, 0 if it's Obama)
V = Home Value
Where did you get this calculator from? Haha.... I ran my numbers and I can do about $72k if I understood your calculator correctly....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 49 Old 07-19-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
I
2) Is $20k way too much to put into a house and expect to get it out when selling? I'd go with the 10-15% rule here. Most people buying a house will not pay a premium for this. Women pick the house for couples. If your house is worth sub $200-$250k I'd not put that money into a theater and expect to increase the value of your house. If you plan on getting 10 years out of it, go for it. If you plan on selling in a couple years I'd realize that I'd probably not get the money out of it back.
Here is what I would say. You may not get the resale, but I think a house with a theater is a big bonus when selling a house. I know if I walked in and seen a theater, It would weigh heavily in favor of that home. I think theaters are going to be standard in the near future. It is not something you see everyday, so IMO is a big bonus for selling a home.

I really did not read all the reply post, but I kind of winged it building my room, I think in the end I will have spent 15K in materials and labor. My equipment is around $25K or $30K. So I would say the ball park for any theater is around $40K-$60K depending on your taste and the quality of the stuff you put in it.

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 07-19-2014 at 03:39 PM.
post #35 of 49 Old 07-19-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 30
To paraphrase Mark Twain's line about good whiskey, "Too much of anything is bad, but too much money spent on your home theater is barely enough."
doublewing11 and tubetwister like this.

post #36 of 49 Old 07-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing4funn View Post
Simple.. anything over 20% of your yearly income is getting ridicules.. life has other priorities that shouldnt suffer..

What is that supposed to mean???

Stef
post #37 of 49 Old 07-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsj View Post
I am living on Planet Earth. I do not think you need to be so rude in your comments. I make over $150k per year, own my own business, and in my mind, anyone who makes over $150k a year, and is paying that much in taxes is an idiot. My tax liability last year was only 4% of my income....

I must be an idiot then... But wait, I live in Quebec, Canada...the marginal income tax rate is 51%, and when you go buy something with what is left, a 15% sales tax awaits you...

Oh, I forgot to mention, we also have municipal and school taxes over that. That is, if you have enough money left to afford a buying a home...

Stef
post #38 of 49 Old 07-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
I must be an idiot then... But wait, I live in Quebec, Canada...the marginal income tax rate is 51%, and when you go buy something with what is left, a 15% sales tax awaits you...

Oh, I forgot to mention, we also have municipal and school taxes over that. That is, if you have enough money left to afford a buying a home...
I feel for you, I don't pretend to know the tax laws of Canada. I know the Tax laws of the US pretty good, and owning a business allows for a lot of write offs....

post #39 of 49 Old 07-19-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I don't even want to think about a dollar amount over here.
gphang and mpjmeyer like this.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #40 of 49 Old 07-19-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsj View Post
Where did you get this calculator from? Haha.... I ran my numbers and I can do about $72k if I understood your calculator correctly....
Actually it should be zero for everybody until January 2017!
dhendriksen likes this.
post #41 of 49 Old 07-20-2014, 02:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
YEp.. The '0' in the denominator tells the whole story... Classic equation for HT!!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #42 of 49 Old 07-20-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

where

V = Home Value
OK, this should be removed. What if I said P = -10000 if it's a Bush in the White House? It's an ignorant statement and equation.

Bob
post #43 of 49 Old 07-20-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post
OK, this should be removed. What if I said P = -10000 if it's a Bush in the White House? It's an ignorant statement and equation.
There is no 'what if'... you just said it!

That said, I think the equation is hilarious (and true). Lighten up.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #44 of 49 Old 07-20-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post
As Sgt. Hulka said in the movie Stripes:

post #45 of 49 Old 07-20-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You are correct, I forgot to state that I didn't consider Obama, and I do what I do everyday and pretended he didn't exist. I have an Obama blocker in my head....
doublewing11 and BllDo like this.

post #46 of 49 Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
I'm in at over $100k easily and nowhere near finished.
You got ripped off holic. I know you have a beefy projector but... DAMN!

I'm in about 60k, and I'm not quite finished yet either, but getting closer...

3000cubic feet, 20 subwoofers, 10 fullrange towers, Dolby 10.4(20).0 (non-Atmos), 35000watts (& more to come), 120" 1080P , no seating, no AC, no building exterior finishing, rack room still needs some work, and a few other small misc things.

Other than that it's near-done.

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #47 of 49 Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I find it interesting that some believe in keeping their equipment in a house you're selling even though the consensus is that you'll never get your money back from the sale of your theater. The only thing I could/would consider is buying very cheap equipment to make a functional theater and take my high end equipment with me if I sold my house. I'd show them what control4, ISCO A-lens, Sony 4k projector could do with my Aerial Acoustic speakers but they would all be coming with me (unless they bought it all.... Which no home buyer would do - I think).

I'd love to hear if anyone has real life examples of selling their theater and what happened.

As for my opinion on this topic, as long as you're paying your bills and being responsible, knock yourself out with your HT as long as the wife approves. Thankfully my whole family loves to watch movies together. Excluding equipment my guess is that I have somewhere around 30k sunk into the build (all labor done by me) but that's here in Hawaii where everything is silly expensive.

post #48 of 49 Old 07-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Everyone's situation is different and their perspective on how much to spend is subjective. No one can answer it for you.

You may be better off asking a poll of what have people spent, although a number of posters have provided that already to get a baseline. Then you can look at the build threads and see what that $$ created.

There are guys on here that spend more for one speaker probably than I did for my entire room, definitely more on a projector than my room but I don't think they spent too much. If I had the means I'd have a $50,000, 4k, 3D projector and not think it's too much.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #49 of 49 Old 07-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Look at my build thread this weekend. I'll nearly everything up but the carpet and the screen and fabric. If you don't need stained wood you can go painted and have the same for sub $20k.

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page