1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wire fishing advice needed

I have been trying to fish this wire all morning without any luck. See attached pic, this was taken while the house was being built, its all closed up now. I keep getting caught in the same exact place (yellow arrow is my guess). Is there a simple trick or tool that I am missing here that will make my life easier? Thank you very much for any advice that will help me keep my sanity!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	172194  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you are using a steel fish tape, grab the fish tape and twist it repeatedly in a cork screw fashion, then try jamming it in. It is probably caught on the fitting lip. Hope this helps!
post #3 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
If you are using a steel fish tape, grab the fish tape and twist it repeatedly in a cork screw fashion, then try jamming it in. It is probably caught on the fitting lip. Hope this helps!
Im not using fish tape, this may be my problem. The HDMI cable I am using is braided and very stiff, figured it could get it through. So I should be using fishing tape for this? Just something like this? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167
post #4 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Fish wire and lots of lube! I swabbed snurf tubing first then pull was very easy. Be careful with HDMI cable........not as strong as you think.

Steal fish tape and lube are the ticket!
post #5 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 05:11 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 741
I Use a 7-11 bag tied to some lightweight nylon masons line. Put your shop vac on one end and feed the bag in the other. It will pull the line in and happen so fast your vac will gobble your bag if you are not careful. I see a T fitting so you will have to block one of the alternative paths. Once the light weight line is in place I pull in a heavier cord and then use that to pull in the cables. Just did that yesterday at a project. When I pull the light weight line out I measure how much I used and then I know what length cable to order.

Also a what to do next time tip, never use plumbing fittings. The radius of the curves it too tight to easily pull cables. You need to shop on the electrical aisle for the gray conduit and fittings. Stay out of plumbing.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-20-2014 at 05:50 PM.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Also pledge works great as a lube for pulling wire through conduit, and it leaves it smelling fresh!
post #7 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I Use a 7-11 bag tied to some lightweight nylon masons line. Put your shop vac on one end and feed the bag in the other. It will pull the line in and happen so fast your vac will gobble your bag if you are not careful. I see a T fitting so you will have to block one of the alternative paths. Once the light weight line is in place I pull in a heavier cord and then use that to pull in the cables. Just did that yesterday at a project. When I pull the light weight line out I measure how much I used and then I know what length cable to order.

Also a what to do next time tip, never use plumbing fittings. The radius of the curves it too tight to easily pull cables. You need to shop on the electrical aisle for the gray conduit and fittings. Stay out of plumbing.
Ingenious idea, I will try this and report back. Unfortunately I can't plug the other exit because it's dropping from the attic, down a wall, and they cut the pipe about 4" short from the opening in the drywall, so naturally getting there and capping it will be difficult. Hopefully I can still get enough suction?

Thanks for the advice on the plumbing pipe. I didn't do the piping, we hired a local company with a solid reputation that does tons of new homes. Apparently they haven't learned this lesson yet.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1norcal View Post
Ingenious idea, I will try this and report back. Unfortunately I can't plug the other exit because it's dropping from the attic, down a wall, and they cut the pipe about 4" short from the opening in the drywall, so naturally getting there and capping it will be difficult. Hopefully I can still get enough suction?

Thanks for the advice on the plumbing pipe. I didn't do the piping, we hired a local company with a solid reputation that does tons of new homes. Apparently they haven't learned this lesson yet.
If they're never asked to pull cables through they never will.

Lube it and pull it through. Pushing it through is about impossible (as you've found out).
post #9 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Some old man once told me about 'pushing rope.' I bet this is what he was talking about
post #10 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've frequently done the small plastic bag trick...knot it up/wrap it up, lube it, then suck it through. Nylon string works great as it is strong/flexible.

You may have better luck with newer HDMI cables that aren't as thick (ie: the Monoprice "redmere" cables are very flexible) compared to the older style that are huge/stiff.

A steel fish tape is one of the most useful things on the planet for home projects!

John
post #11 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post
I've frequently done the small plastic bag trick...knot it up/wrap it up, lube it, then suck it through. Nylon string works great as it is strong/flexible.

You may have better luck with newer HDMI cables that aren't as thick (ie: the Monoprice "redmere" cables are very flexible) compared to the older style that are huge/stiff.

A steel fish tape is one of the most useful things on the planet for home projects!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Big's technique will work.......which used to be my preferred method, but after pulling apart an XLR cable in snuff tubing, I'll never ever go without swabbing tube with lube before insertion.............

Wait a second.........my statement is sounding provocative!
post #12 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Between that and the "pushing the rope" comment above....too funny..

John
post #13 of 18 Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Bag trick did not work because I cannot cap the other end because they cut the pipe short on the side coming from the "T" joint, so I cannot create a vacuum. So frustrating. They are coming out to install my security cams next week, so it's their problem now. Thanks for all the help guys, I will report back on how the tech manages to get it through.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
physics makes it hard/impossible to push past more than a couple of direction changes with a steel tape.....the vectors push the wrong way

as mentioned, suck a rope through (cant stick a shop vac through hole to reach the short end?

or in future assemble with the rope in it

btw: if u want to keep trying, and definitely cant use vac, ive had luck before using a fishtape with a hook and using a long soild copper condutor with a loop...if you can get them to meet up at that last bend, then u can pull a rope through

Last edited by longtimelurker; 07-22-2014 at 09:28 PM.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

pet mouse, fishing line leash, piece of cheese.
SMHarman likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-23-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Get in that attic, cut out the y-section of pipe and replace with an elbow section.

Or better yet, cut out the horizontal sections completely. The elbows are way to tight of a radius for cable and I doubt fish tape will be able to get through the elbows.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-23-2014, 06:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

it's plumbing pipe so maybe a motorized plumbing auger could make the trip.

Looking at the picture it looks like if you could force something up the right side like a balled up garbace bag past the y you could create enough of a seal to get the vacumn method to work. Just be sure you can pull it back out.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Something like a handball or other soft rubber ball is good for plugging the end of a pipe.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page