Sierra Foothills Home Theater Build - lots of questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sierra Foothills Home Theater Build - lots of questions

I've read through a lot of the threads and the FAQ and I've spoke to the Soundproofing Isolation Co folks. I'm converting a garage into a HT. The theater abuts a family room on one side and my study on the other. The other two walls are exterior walls. We're doing this as part of a whole house remodel, but it's kind of a last minute add on so some things are already done, such as wiring, framing, etc. Exterior walls are done.

I'd like to isolate this room sonically and have been advised to use clips and channels along with double layer of 5/8" gypsum board with Green Glue, putty pads for any electrical outlets, dead vents for air exchange and HVAC, etc. The media closet has 4 dedicated 20 amp outlets, and there is a sub-panel in the room as well if I need more power.

The room is going to be set up for up to a Dolby Atmos system and a 140 - 150" anamorphic screen.

Equipment that I already own are Bohlender Graebner Radia 520DX front and rear tower speakers, BG 220DX center channel, HSU TN1220 Sub with dedicated 500w amp, ATI 1505 amp, ATI 1502 amp, Emotiva UMC1 pre/pro (mine actually works without glitches), PS3, and PS4.

I plan on replacing the HSU with 2 DIY Marty Subs.

I really love the BG speakers as they're airy, detailed, and overall fantastic for my first love - 2 channel sound. I'd like to setup a 2 channel analogue system in the room as well as I have some old VTL Tube gear and a Sota Sapphire turntable with the vacuum hold down.

Since this was a garage, there are a couple of steps down from the family room level down into the garage. I figure this will work well with my plan for stadium seating. We'll have two levels, the entry level and then a lower level.

Right now my questions are:

1) What kid of interior doors do I use for sound isolation? I know I can use solid core doors with a spring loaded door sweep. But is there any particular type of interior door that is better than any other?

2) And even though I'll have clips and channels with double rock and GG, the media closet door is a huge fenestration as well as the equipment rack. I had wanted the equipment rack to be open in the back for access. But leaving that rack open will allow sound to bleed right through and waste my sound isolation efforts.

3) I'd like to install a 36" commercial steel door (drawn in on the right of the attached diagram) for ease of getting equipment and supplies into and out of the theater, especially during construction.

(a) Is there a particular type of commercial steel door that is recommended for sound isolation?

(b) Since that door is going into wall where the garage door once was, and we have to pour a footing for the wall, does the door sit on the level of the garage floor or does it sit at the level of the footing? I would imagine having it at the level of the footing is safer to prevent any water intrustion, but it does create a step over issue. I'm not sure what code calls for.

4) I've been told by some that my BG speakers won't deliver enough punch for home theater use. I had them in our old house in a room that was not a dedicated theater and they seemed to deliver plenty of punch. But the guys over in the DIY Subwoofer section seem to think the 6.5" mid-bass drivers will not be up to the task of meeting output requirements.

5) The other issue with the BG speakers is they tend to be more directional. Will this cause an issue with HT use?

6) What's the best way to install the clips and channels along the wall with the family room? Should I install the clips and channels on the inside of the media closet to ameliorate the massive sound leakage through the stereo rack?

7) I'm toying with the idea of building a false wall and hiding all the speakers behind it. However with the room dimensions being 18x21, a false wall would result in a 18x18 ish room. I've been told square is not good for sound. True? Solutions?

Thanks for all your help! I'm looking forward to the build but I'm apprehensive as well. There are so many details to deal with. Any suggestions or recommendations are more than welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Theater Layout.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	172434  

Last edited by video1; 07-20-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-21-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just a few quick thoughts skimming your summary/questions....

Honestly, the BGs are good speakers but I do not think they will achieve the SPLs you will need in a decent sized HT. I just don't think they can be driven hard enough to achieve the dynamics a good HT will require. It sounds like you are willing to spend the money to do it right....don't skimp on the audio side.

A 140-150 inch anamorphic screen requires a bright projector. What are you planning to use?

I'm glad to hear you aren't planning on skimping on soundproofing...it is expensive to do it right...but totally worth it!

Make sure you have good air exchange - lots of movement/exchange as equipment + people will generate a LOT of heat.

You should also make sure it isn't against code in your town/neighborhood/covenant/HoA rules to enclose/finish a garage. It may be a problem.

Interior doors - solid core/wood, sweep and threshold/seals will do the trick....

As far as ATMOS goes, it is just barely announced for home use...minimum of 7.2.4 though it can go far higher. I would worry less about that at this point and just make sure you run conduit/wiring for future expansion.

Don't get lost in trying to see the forest for the trees. It is easy to get overwhelmed in trying to visualize a finish space that is as complicated as a fully decked out HT can be...

Welcome to the HT forum!

John
post #3 of 4 Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Sorry I can't answer many of your questions, but i'm certain a lot of guys on the forum will be able to help you. I can't wait to see this project in motion. Good luck to you.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the tips.

There is a BG dealer who has a room setup for HT. I'm going to check it out and see how well it works in his place. Otherwise it looks like some sort of SEOS build for me, in addition to a could of DIY subs.

Right now my leading candidate for a projector is the JVC RS4910, since it has good light output and lens memory.

The media closet is where all the heat is generated. I plan on installing some sort of exhaust fan in there, probably at least a 110 CFM bathroom fan - one of the 0.3 sone Panasonics might do the trick.

The biggest issue with ventilation is how to get enough cool air into the space. Our summers here get up to 110F. I plan on building a couple of dead air vents to exchange the air with the adjacent room.

As for building codes, I'm pretty sure we'll be ok. The project will be added to our current permit. We'll be building a separate garage.

Yes, we've already run wire for ATMOS. I'm waiting to install the speakers though. Honestly a 5.1 setup is what I've been using and I'm perfectly happy with that.

My biggest worry is isolation for bass. BassThatHz built this over-the-top HT with all sorts of sound proofing including double staggered stud walls, and still got relatively high spl's 50 ft away from his place. Of course he has a zillion subwoofers

It wasn't until he tore off the outer skin of his building and reinforced with multiple layers of OSB that he got the bass control down to an acceptable level. Being that the exterior of the house is already finished, I'm really hoping to not have to go that route as it would be just too expensive at this point.

I'm willing to spend money on this project but I'm limited because of all the stuff I have to do with the rest of the remodel. If push comes to shove I'll just finish it off to the first layer of sheetrock (required by code) and as more funds become available, I'll do the rest of the finishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post
Just a few quick thoughts skimming your summary/questions....

Honestly, the BGs are good speakers but I do not think they will achieve the SPLs you will need in a decent sized HT. I just don't think they can be driven hard enough to achieve the dynamics a good HT will require. It sounds like you are willing to spend the money to do it right....don't skimp on the audio side.

A 140-150 inch anamorphic screen requires a bright projector. What are you planning to use?

I'm glad to hear you aren't planning on skimping on soundproofing...it is expensive to do it right...but totally worth it!

Make sure you have good air exchange - lots of movement/exchange as equipment + people will generate a LOT of heat.

You should also make sure it isn't against code in your town/neighborhood/covenant/HoA rules to enclose/finish a garage. It may be a problem.

Interior doors - solid core/wood, sweep and threshold/seals will do the trick....

As far as ATMOS goes, it is just barely announced for home use...minimum of 7.2.4 though it can go far higher. I would worry less about that at this point and just make sure you run conduit/wiring for future expansion.

Don't get lost in trying to see the forest for the trees. It is easy to get overwhelmed in trying to visualize a finish space that is as complicated as a fully decked out HT can be...

Welcome to the HT forum!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page