Need help coming up with a budget. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Need help coming up with a budget.

I need to come up with a budget to appease my little lady, and to help figure out exactly where we have to compromise. I am still considering a lot of options on different components, but I'm still not sure I know exactly everything I need to budget for. Can you guys make sure I have everything listed, and if you want to provide an expected cost range on anything, that'd be great too. Here's what I have so far (with very few values at this point):

Projection:

Projector - $1900 - $5000 (There are 2 or 3 I have in mind right now, and am leaning towards the $1900 for now).
Projector Mount -
Lumagen Mini3D - $1500
Screen (130" - 140", 2:35, AT) -
Masking (This is probably giving the most amount difficulty in figuring out what to do as far as my screen) -

Sound:

LCR Speakers - $3000-4500
Surround Speakers (4) -
Subwoofers (2) -
Amplifier -

Misc. Electronics:

Equipment Rack -
Power Conditioner?
Remote Control (Tablet?) -
Wires -
Light fixtures -
Automation/Control -
Media Server? -

Furnishing:

Theater Seating (6-8) - $4000-5000
Bar Seats (3) - $500 (Not going to go too fancy here)
Curtain -
Mini Fridge -

Construction:

Carpet w/padding -
Bar -
Black Drop Ceiling -
Paint -
Insulation -
Labor - Carpentry (wall builds, riser, bar, stage, baffle wall?)
Labor - Wiring electricity -
Labor - wiring electrical -
Door for constructed wall -

I know I'm missing something, but I don't know what for sure.

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 07-21-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Low end $20-$25k for everything, with mostly DIY efforts. Mid range would put you between $25-$40k.

Tell your wife it won't go beyond $5k!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Another project where thinking about the room itself is at the bottom of the list.

you might want to think about soundproofing supplies and acoustical treatments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:

post #4 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Another project where thinking about the room itself is at the bottom of the list.

you might want to think about soundproofing supplies and acoustical treatments.
I am thinking about it. I kind of lumped that with "Insulation" though I know it's not the same thing. Though, I'm not sure exactly the best way to do soundproofing with a drop ceiling, and most of the walls are preexisting, so I have to figure out exactly how much of that I'll be able to do (and afford).
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

A room with a drop ceiling and pre-existing walls can not be soundproofed so don't worry about it.

Your existing HVAC and wall penetrations for any light fixtures and electrical boxes for switches and outlets will be other pre-existing conditions.

There is a reason a good number of AVS home theater builders totally strip a room and start over. They want to enjoy the space without frequent interruptions consisting of screaming requests to turn it down.

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
A room with a drop ceiling and pre-existing walls can not be soundproofed so don't worry about it.

Your existing HVAC and wall penetrations for any light fixtures and electrical boxes for switches and outlets will be other pre-existing conditions.

There is a reason a good number of AVS home theater builders totally strip a room and start over. They want to enjoy the space without frequent interruptions consisting of screaming requests to turn it down.
But can it be improved at all? Particularly the ceiling as the theater will basically be the entire useful space of the basement. Like adding drywall and GG to the subfloor?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 03:52 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

you can maybe take the edge off the noise but don't expect more than 10-20% reduction

PROJECTS:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page