Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 75
WALSH Theater Build

Hi all,

I spend most of my time in the DIY Speakers and Subs area, but am now in the planning stages of my theater. The pervious owner of my home had plans to build a theater room, so I'm left with a skeleton room, which I think is a good thing. I've spoken with Mike, from avs, about a few things, but would really like to get the communities input before I make any moves.

Planned Equipment:
Seymour Screen Excellence Absolute 130" wide screen.
4 martysubs up front
3 SEOS TD12M up front
SEOS TD?M's for surrounds.
Two rows of seating.

I plan to build the surrounds into columns in the fashion BigMouthinDC has done on another build (HT of the Month: Rawlinsway Theater). I'd also like to make the riser a bass trap. I plan to use Roxul for insulation, double drywall with green glue etc.

This is very basic so far, but I have included a sketch of the room because I'm not sure about orientation and what to do with the rather large entryway. You can see the current setup I'm planning in the attachment, but the problem I have is with seating and the surround columns on the entryway side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater_room_plain.0.0.1.png
Views:	52
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	173121  

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sweet! I am in the Springs as well. Look forward to seeing your progress! Maybe will have to have a COS home theater GTG!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I think you should rotate the layout 90, or 180 degrees. With 180 degrees you’d have many advantages. Easy to place the side speakers exactly where desired, the riser would be in the optimal place, and the persons would enter and see the screen immediately, without obstacles.

Closing the entryway or not, you’d get better acoustic results by closing it, but I think it’d look cool either way.

pgwalsh, AirBenji and Cksqurd like this.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 738
+1 rotate, now with this new plan you could narrow the entrance with a partial wall and create a space along the wall just opposite the door for either your equipment or refreshment counter. Maybe both.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
I think you should rotate the layout 90, or 180 degrees. With 180 degrees you’d have many advantages. Easy to place the side speakers exactly where desired, the riser would be in the optimal place, and the persons would enter and see the screen immediately, without obstacles.

Closing the entryway or not, you’d get better acoustic results by closing it, but I think it’d look cool either way.

I like it. I like it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
+1 rotate, now with this new plan you could narrow the entrance with a partial wall and create a space along the wall just opposite the door for either your equipment or refreshment counter. Maybe both.
This is a good idea. I had planned to put the equipment in the CLOSET space. If I change the angle of the 2 x 6, then I have more than enough space for a 19" rack. On the other side of the closet, where I had the screen originally, is my media room and bar. I planned to put another rack on that side with my NAS servers etc. I was going to put a ventilation system above and route it into my boiler room which has double ventilation. In that section the ceiling is much higher, but beams have been put in.

How many seats do you think I can get in that space without being overly crowded? I'd like two rows and thought about putting love seat chases on the first, but I don't have my heart set on anything. A curved seating area would be nice too, what do you think?

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
Old 07-23-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlechner View Post
Sweet! I am in the Springs as well. Look forward to seeing your progress! Maybe will have to have a COS home theater GTG!!!
There's another member in the springs who's also into DIY speakers. We've been talking about meeting up at some point.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have any links or companies they recommend for good high end theater seating?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought about closing it off, but then I'd have this odd little room between that outer and inner door. I imagine it would help with soundproofing that outer area, which is a big deal. I could take pictures of the room and the entry. I'm open to any suggestions.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Does anyone have any links or companies they recommend for good high end theater seating?
I got mine from theaterseatstore.com. They may have something you like. I called and got better pricing and free install.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
How many seats do you think I can get in that space without being overly crowded? I'd like two rows and thought about putting love seat chases on the first, but I don't have my heart set on anything. A curved seating area would be nice too, what do you think?
The seats I placed on the image above are Palliser's Lemans, not exactly small, and they're modeled accurately, I think you can easily fit 5 seats. A curved seating takes more space, 4 would surely fit, 5 may or not.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The seats I placed on the image above are Palliser's Lemans, not exactly small, and they're modeled accurately, I think you can easily fit 5 seats. A curved seating takes more space, 4 would surely fit, 5 may or not.
Thanks... I'm on their site now. I think I'd like to do at least 5 in the back and 4 in the front. I'm trying to get an idea on seats so I know where to build the columns beforehand. I'm going to do a set of side channels for each row.

I've looked at fortresseating.com and they also have some nice seating. I am looking for the dark brown and black combo with perhaps some wood accents.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
placing the subs at 1/4 distances from the top/bottom/side walls will eliminate/not excite most of the room modes. ideally the drivers would be located at the intersections of the red dotted lines. but, getting close still provides most of the benefit.

there will still be one off the rear wall. with a limp mass that may be partially absorbed and/or eq can be used because frequency response should be fairly uniform across the rows (though I'm not sure how that "nook" throws it all off.

I don't follow in the area, so pm to me if something isn't clear.

this thread is a must read:

LTD-M18 Sub Build

;-) good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pgwalsh 14 distances.png
Views:	71
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	204321  

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
placing the subs at 1/4 distances from the top/bottom/side walls will eliminate/not excite most of the room modes. ideally the drivers would be located at the intersections of the red dotted lines. but, getting close still provides most of the benefit.

there will still be one off the rear wall. with a limp mass that may be partially absorbed and/or eq can be used because frequency response should be fairly uniform across the rows (though I'm not sure how that "nook" throws it all off.

I don't follow in the area, so pm to me if something isn't clear.

this thread is a must read:

LTD-M18 Sub Build

;-) good luck.
Thanks John. I may put in a wall where that nook is because I want to make the room fairly sound proof, or as much as I can. The double door are solid, but not solid enough.

How would you fire the ports on this one? Same as Jbrown? For the size his boxes are very shallow, which is nice.