Home theatre/media room planning - sliding or double doors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Home theatre/media room planning - sliding or double doors?

Hi all,

I'm at the planning stage for our home theatre/media room. It is 18"5 x 15"9 (5.6 x 4.8 m) with ~10 foot ceiling (3m). It has a three panel sliding stacker door on the right (opening out into an alfresco/undercover patio area), and the entry to the room is at the rear. Considering thick curtains (perhaps motorised) for the sliding stacker door.

I'm not sure whether to put a sliding door (pocket/cavity slider), or a double door? If its a double door its gonna open away from the media room.

I understand that a sliding door would have more issues with sound leakage, but would this affect the 'sound experience' inside the room? The room adjoins the kitchen/open plan living area, so well away from other rooms. Speaker placement could be an issue too, although either way, perhaps in ceiling rear speakers would be the way to go?? A slider door would make more sense otherwise (takes up less space).

Will have a ceiling projector, soffits/bulkheads and cove lighting on the perimeter, and at the front I'm think of going a 16:9, 110 inch diag screen (or maybe 1:2.35?).

Not sure about speakers at the front - in-wall or floor standing?

Also is there a benefit to use 2 subwoofers?

And atm planning for 5.1 sound but would 7.1 work in this kinda room?

Opinions/advice would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	media room plan.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	176154  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Not sure about the sliding vs regular doors issue, but if you want to make sure your curtains are as efficient as possible, check here: http://acousticsfreq.com/blog/?p=275
Some very good info and advices.

Regarding the 5.1 vs 7.1, I think the door limits what you can do, and 5.1 seems the best choice.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Well the sliding door in particular basically eliminates the ability to put any sort of treatments on the interior of that door/wall. As far as soundproofing, pretty much any sliding/pocket door is a very bad choice. But if it slides you have to leave it bare. The back wall is usually your thickest location as far as bass absorption in a typical setup. If you did a double door, you could put panels on the inside of the door. You still would run into problems with sound leakage, but it would be much better than a sliding/pocket door.

A lot of people say they don't really care about soundproofing because there is no one else who would hear the noise, or that it would be contained in your home anyway, but soundproofing also has a major benefit on the interior, which is that it lowers the ambient noise floor. The quieter the room is, the easier the sound from the speakers is to hear, and the better the quality. Granted, some people have a very low ambient noise level in their home already. Mostly it is things like HVAC which are the biggest offenders.

My first theater used double doors, and they were solid core. There wasn't even a weather stripping seal on the bottom, but the soundproofing in the room was still good. The room had some panels, but the rear doors were untreated. At the time, I thought the room sounded great, but the bass was overly boomy. But the ambient noise levels of the house were very low so I never heard anything while inside the room. All of the walls were blown-in insulation with heavy drywall, and I was quite impressed with how quiet the room was. For the price, it turned out quite well.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-24-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
A lot of people say they don't really care about soundproofing because there is no one else who would hear the noise, or that it would be contained in your home anyway, but soundproofing also has a major benefit on the interior, which is that it lowers the ambient noise floor. The quieter the room is, the easier the sound from the speakers is to hear, and the better the quality. Granted, some people have a very low ambient noise level in their home already. Mostly it is things like HVAC which are the biggest offenders.
I never realized that I was actually getting HVAC noise until I was doing an Audyssey calibration and I kept getting a error message about too much noise in the room. Turns out the AC was running and the Audyssey mic was picking it up. I guess the flip side of the coin is that I hadn't really noticed it before. More of a compliment to how sensitive and precise Audyssey is.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction