Quietest 6" Inline Fan Testing - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-23-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quietest 6" Inline Fan Testing

It seems that vegetable/agri growers have similar needs - moving air in/out of the growing room without the noise being a disturbance. One YouTube there are a bunch of reviews from MonsterGardens.com (I have no connection to them, but found most of the reviews well done - and have compiled the relevant info below)

Just throwing out there - that they had 2 others that rated well: Also listening to the actual noise in the video may be of help to some:
Summary of db / max CFM @ 0"/watt/Current Amazon price
  • FanTech 6" FGC 6XL - 78.5db/392 CFM/185 watts/ $170 (btw- it seems that MonsterGardens no longer sell the Fantech on their site). This is the one mentioned very often on AVS
  • Vortex S-Line Ultra Quiet - $178- - 79.5db; 215 watts (db and wattage for the 8"model); (polycarbonate shell- vs. metal - for less sound, also has a nice mounting bracket which helps minimize reverb; also includes integrated backdraft dampener
  • Rebel - seems to have been be their own brand - the 8" model- 78.1 - 79db ; 222 watts
  • Phresh Hyperfan (smallest only about 6"x6"x5", very energy efficient) - includes the speed controller- 74db @ 100% (57db @ 35%), 11watts @ 35%, 48 watts @ 50%, 56 watts @ 100%)/ $175 (note inclusion of the speed controller saves about $25)- they have one here with Myu the silencer for about $250.. The 8" model 60db@35%; @50% 75 watts! , 83 watts @ 100%-
  • 8"x9" x6.5"- it also had more suction vs. the Vortex
My total newbie conclusion is that the Hyperfan is definately worthy of consideration, and probably best to get the 8". Let me know what you think.

Video Reviews:

- - at about 5:50 of
you can hear the fan. (date of review Aug '13)/
Rebel - their overall recommendation. They have a video of it vs. the Vortex being about 1db quieter and more powerful. (as of June '13, though interestingly I couldn't find it on their website now. Likewise, I couldn't find it on Amazon)- (for the 8" model- 78.1 - 79db ; 222 watts)
- Interesting video showing impact of , summary of their recommendations:
  • Get a larger (e.g. 8") fan, and running it at a lower speed- note -going from a 6" to an 8" fan increases max CFM from 315 to 710- so you can easily run it at 50%; and it's only about $30 more expensive for the 8" model
  • don't mount directly to stud - rather hang from stud via ratchets
  • insulation
  • Neoprene duct clamps
  • Duct silencer (i.e. a muffler) (put between carbon filter and fan)- e.g. Phresh (costs about $100)
  • Of course the tips on the web site- ala the "dead vent" - accomplish the same results for less money - but figured the info might help some with less building skill

Here's a calculator to determine what size you need

Last edited by cgott42; 07-23-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-24-2014, 04:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Amazing what companies now exist that supply grow houses. Of course they want quiet fans, they don't want the neighbors to know.

The 6 and 8 inch Vortex are available through HVACQuick.com as are a number of other inline fans. S&P has a version of the fan without the backdraft damper and fancy paint job.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Running the risk of embarrassing myself here with naiveté - but exactly WHAT are they growing (that they don't want the neighbors to know)?? :-)
post #4 of 9 Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
Running the risk of embarrassing myself here with naiveté - but exactly WHAT are they growing (that they don't want the neighbors to know)?? :-)
Weed.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #5 of 9 Old 07-24-2014, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

aha !
So THAT's why all the people testing the videos are young males , dressed more like college students than farmers - and don't look at all like the older folks at my local greenhouse.
So I guess we share a common need - to keep things quiet ;-)
post #6 of 9 Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
So I started to wonder, now that you can actually legally grow wacky tobaccey how much can you make? If you believe this article if you have a 10x10 spare room over $100,000 per year.

http://www.marijuanabusinessnews.com...ower_make.aspx

Next question is can you grow it in your theater?
post #7 of 9 Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
So I started to wonder, now that you can actually legally grow wacky tobaccey how much can you make? If you believe this article if you have a 10x10 spare room over $100,000 per year.

http://www.marijuanabusinessnews.com...ower_make.aspx

Multipurpose home theaters ARE getting more and more popular ...
post #8 of 9 Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Seems about right since you'll generally have a lot of candy and popcorn handy in a home theater also. And comfortable reclining chairs....

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #9 of 9 Old 07-26-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Oh, yeah, that UV lighting is for my star ceiling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction