Ways to light a HT without washing out screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ways to light a HT without washing out screen

I moved to a new home and will be converting a bedroom into a theater room again. What I learned from my last conversion is the lighting situation sucks, I mean the ability to turn on lights while watching a screen. My lights were right in front of the screen, so washes out the picture. Awesome with lights off, but impossible to watch with any light on.

So, for this one, I want to take the approach of less dedicated theater and more family lounge.

I plan to give light to the room without affecting the screen picture by adding the following:

Crown molding with rope lighting
rope lighting on floor
star ceiling
Maybe some of those scone lights or whatever they are called.

Basically, any light pointing up is ok, but down is bad, in my experience.

What do you all suggest to give the ability to turn on some lights so you can function, while still watching a projector screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 03:39 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 744
For in chair task lighting think about recessed cans with pinhole baffles that only shine down. Make sure room lighting is on several switches so you can totally turn off the front third of the room to avoid any screen washing. If you use the pinholes the closest to the screen would be over the laps of the first row.

http://www.amazon.com/Pin-Hole-White...6324132&sr=1-2
Old 07-28-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

There will only be one row of seating in this room, and it will be just a lounge L shaped couch.

I'm thinking 4-6 can lights, 2 rows, and each on it's own switch. The back row will have the pin holes like you show above, the front row will be normal (for when I need light in there for work or what not).

Inbetween the two rows will be a star ceiling which will be suspended from the ceiling with rope lighting to produce more ambient light, pointing up, no affect on screen. Is there a preference on how close I could get the start ceiling from the screen, especially with rope lighting pointing up? I'm guessing no.

Then, rope lighting on the floor to see where you are walking.

I don't think I'll need any sort of lighting on the walls with the above. It's not a big room, but not small either.

Another question for you electricians. I have a dome light currently in the room, which is in a bad position. How easy is it to move that wiring to 3 can lights on the same switch, and then add 3 more can lights on a completely separate switch? If it is very hard to add to an existing room (drywall ceiling / walls), and easy to move, then I'll just do the 3 pin hole lights, and add wall lights or a lamp.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

What is above the room?
How handy are you at patching drywall?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

I've never patched drywall, but the ceiling will be covered by a star ceiling, so could be a junky job. Also, I have a drywall guy that can patch for me.

above the room is another room, marble floor, so essentially no access from above.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a very crude layout of how I will do the ceiling / lighting. 8 can lights surrounding a hanging star ceiling. The front 4 will be on one outlet, next 2 on a separate, and back two on their own. The back two will have the pin hole lighting for my wife to knit while watching a movie, the rest will just be separate to see how it goes while watching a movie. Look good? How far away should my star ceiling be from the screen, assuming I will put rope lighting in the upside (side facing ceiling to give a glow from above the star ceiling)? I think I was going to plan like 4-7' away from the screen, depends on how big of a star ceiling I want to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	20
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	190226  
Old 07-31-2014, 03:05 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

if your wife is knitting you need better movies, or the alternative
Old 07-31-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

We hop in the car to go to Walgreens for a 3 minute drive, and she knits for those 3 minutes. She "claims" she can carry on a conversation and knit at the same time, but she can't. it's a battle you just can't win, so, instead of watching movies by myself, I decided to make it so she can watch them with me without washing out my screen