Another newbie with floor plan. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another newbie with floor plan.

I purchased a new house with unfinished basement two years ago. Here is the floor plan which I designed and thinking about hiring someone to just do the frame work. This is going to be a long term project so I want to set up the foundation first and I can wire the audio/video myself later.

I would just like to know your thoughts and suggestions before my contractor start nailing them.

AV RACK is in under the staircase and the home theater is approximately 15 x 24. The squares are the speaker locations.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 9.26.09 PM.png
Views:	45
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	184850  

Last edited by snowcrash001; 07-28-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Why all the open doorways? You'll have a more consistent sound field without the openings.

Also, it looks like you've got the speakers backwards - not that you would actually wire the center channel into the rear wall, but isn't that what I see?
post #3 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Why all the open doorways? You'll have a more consistent sound field without the openings.

Also, it looks like you've got the speakers backwards - not that you would actually wire the center channel into the rear wall, but isn't that what I see?
Thanks HopefulFred replying to my post.

The speaker locations are tentative at this point. Haven't decided what I should do with audio system, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 or Dolby Atom.

And about the open doorways, I didn't wanted to close completely but if you think it would be better to close it off, perhaps put the doors? What about the bar? Should I put a door there as well?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 10.53.03 PM.png
Views:	29
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	185114  
post #4 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 06:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 729
flip the theater 90 dgress and put it where the bar and the back of the theater are currently.

then put your bar where the front of the theater is currentlyu.

Having to walk through the theater to get to the bar doesn't make sense if you are engaged in other activities going on in the basement.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 06:37 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

You should also consider what soundproofing measures you are interested in, because if you are interested the contractor needs to frame differently than normal practices. He may not even know how. The thecniques invlove isolated framing so that wall vibration doesn't shake the floor above.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
You should also consider what soundproofing measures you are interested in, because if you are interested the contractor needs to frame differently than normal practices. He may not even know how. The thecniques invlove isolated framing so that wall vibration doesn't shake the floor above.
Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't know if I have option to move the bar to different location because that is where rough-in drain pipe is located. I would like to have a sink in the bar. I'm not a plumber so I wouldn't know if it's optional.

BTW, I'm sending you PM. I live in Loudoun County and maybe you can help?
post #7 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 06:03 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

There are options for draining a wet bar sink that are independent of a pipe in the floor. Specifically you put a mini-sump pump under the sink hidden in the cabinet and then pump the gray water up the wall and over in the ceiling to another drain in the basement. Saw your PM I will send some info.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Where are the structural columns located? Without knowing that it's hard to judge.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
Where are the structural columns located? Without knowing that it's hard to judge.

Please see attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 9.38.42 PM.png
Views:	26
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	186690  
post #10 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash001 View Post
Please see attached.
IF the basement is completely unfinished I’d consider putting the theater on the top right corner (see image below), placing the bar behind the 2 rows. The typical 2 rows plus bar configuration. That room would be long enough for this, and if you place the bar on that top the plumbing cost would be quite small. Simple but effective. Having the stairs so close would be an advantage too, if you have guests they wouldn't go through all the basement.

But it really depends on how many walls are already in place. If none, then you have a dream basement, with huge potential. Especially if it’s reasonably high. I’d take my time thinking a LOT about it, evaluating all the possibilities.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gg4.png
Views:	24
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	186866  
post #11 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
IF the basement is completely unfinished I’d consider putting the theater on the top right corner (see image below), placing the bar behind the 2 rows. The typical 2 rows plus bar configuration. That room would be long enough for this, and if you place the bar on that top the plumbing cost would be quite small. Simple but effective. Having the stairs so close would be an advantage too, if you have guests they wouldn't go through all the basement.

But it really depends on how many walls are already in place. If none, then you have a dream basement, with huge potential. Especially if it’s reasonably high. I’d take my time thinking a LOT about it, evaluating all the possibilities.
Yes, completely unfinished with no walls and it's 9 feet celing. Putting HT there makes more sense meaning I can utilize the big space on the left side of the basement. I wouldn't be able to put a bar in HT due to lack of space(possible but I don't want HT to be too cramped) but at least I don't have to go through HT to get to bar. One possible downside is wife wants storage space where I was going to make 'unfinished' area as storage space. Back to drawing board! Thanks for your suggestions!
post #12 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 05:32 AM

If you put the home-theater there, and a big open space on the top left side, you’ll still have a LOT of space for storage on the lower half, no reason to worry. Not sure if the two doors on the bottom left open to the outside, but if they do, even better. It’s a dream basement, really. Congrats.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 06:30 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

put the bar next to the bathroom and share drains. a little concrete busting may be required (one day effort) . Locate the bathroom door facing the stairs, put storage where you were planning the bar.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Snowcrash,

Silva is right. Think long and hard about how you and your wife view this basement being used in the future. Think about how many people you would want to entertain in the theater at a given time. Think about what kind of viewing it would be (movies, gaming, superbowl, kids' sleepover, etc).
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page