post #1 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Paint

Hello,

I am going to begin painting. I did a search and I getting all kinds of different suggestions from people. I am planning on grey primer and I am painting the ceiling black as well as the front wall. I will do the sides grey with grey carpet. I like the combination. Now I thought that most used flat black, but now I am seeing people say satin black. How about the sides, should they be satin also? Can I get some suggestions for a brand of black paint and what finish is indeed best. I have several paint stores here. Sherwin Williams and Duron are right here in town.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; Yesterday at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I used flat black on my ceiling and screen wall, a different color in satin for walls. The problem with flat black is that it will show scuffs whenever you touch or rub up against it, but not an issue for a screen wall or ceiling. Quick cell phone picture attached but it doesn't show the ceiling. Not quite finished yet, still awaiting black speaker enclosure screens and movie poster acoustic panels for some wall treatment and decoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1547.jpg (174.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by helmsman; Yesterday at 11:32 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
I used flat black on my ceiling and screen wall, a different color in satin for walls. The problem with satin black is that it will show scuffs whenever you touch or rub up against it, but not an issue for a screen wall or ceiling. Quick cell phone picture attached but it doesn't show the ceiling. Not quite finished yet, still awaiting black speaker enclosure screens and movie poster acoustic panels for some wall treatment and decoration.
My thought was flat black. I went over to Sherwin Williams and got some swatches of colors. They also suggested the flat. Theater looks great by the way.
post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I used SW Tricorn Black in flat for my ceiling. Pretty happy with the results but I did do 3 full coats after the base dark primer. You can see the dark primer that I used on the left wall below the acoustic cotton.

As helmsman stated, the flat will smudge with about any touch and you really can't fix it (without repainting) so I would limit that to locations that most people won't reach. Satin is probably your next best bet for walls since it will be a lower sheen but not mark as easily as a flat paint would.
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post
I used SW Tricorn Black in flat for my ceiling. Pretty happy with the results but I did do 3 full coats after the base dark primer. You can see the dark primer that I used on the left wall below the acoustic cotton.

As helmsman stated, the flat will smudge with about any touch and you really can't fix it (without repainting) so I would limit that to locations that most people won't reach. Satin is probably your next best bet for walls since it will be a lower sheen but not mark as easily as a flat paint would.
I actually took a swatch of Tricorn Black. Glad you chimed in as that is what I am probably going to go with. Did you use SW primer. The guy there suggested P6 ?
post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Rosco Supersaturated Velour Black is often considered the deepest black you can get.

The blackest, most flat paint. Period.

Others have used Mouse Ears Black from big orange. I believe it is no longer a listed color, but you should be able to ask for it at the paint counter.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #7 of 9 Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Fixed my typo and yes, I meant that FLAT black scuffs easily.

I took a look at your build and noticed that you're using what appears to be 6 inch cans for your recessed lights. I also had 6 inch cutouts before my theater remodel but wanted to go with pinhole lights, so when I painted my ceiling flat black I found a black pinhole trim kit that converted my lights to pinholes (needed new/different bulbs, of course). I like the look so much better and it's far more dramatic for a theater, and works well with a black ceiling.

Here's the link: http://www.totalrecessedlighting.com...hole-trim.html - just a thought.
post #8 of 9 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I actually took a swatch of Tricorn Black. Glad you chimed in as that is what I am probably going to go with. Did you use SW primer. The guy there suggested P6 ?
Yes, I used SW primer. It was their basic drywall primer with as much black tint as they could do for me. I would assume P6 would be similar since it is their darkest gray tinted primer. Believe it or not the color on my walls is supposed to be gray. It looks more brown in person but I didn't care as long as it was dark since mine is getting covered up/painted over.
post #9 of 9 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Rosco Supersaturated Velour Black is often considered the deepest black you can get.

The blackest, most flat paint. Period.

Others have used Mouse Ears Black from big orange. I believe it is no longer a listed color, but you should be able to ask for it at the paint counter.
I read about this last year and forgot about it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post
Yes, I used SW primer. It was their basic drywall primer with as much black tint as they could do for me. I would assume P6 would be similar since it is their darkest gray tinted primer. Believe it or not the color on my walls is supposed to be gray. It looks more brown in person but I didn't care as long as it was dark since mine is getting covered up/painted over.
It all looks good. We are out there sanding now and hopefully I can start painting by tomorrow or Thursday. I was just laughing at the color I like and it is called Greyish :roll eyes: Who are these people that name these colors.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; Yesterday at 02:38 PM.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page