Advice on setting up my system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Advice on setting up my system

Hi,

I was wondering how would you set up my connection to get the best sound.

samsung UE46H7000 (taking the delivery in 2 days)
Samsung HWH751 soundbar(4.1 ch)
Sony blueray player(dual hdmi video/audio)
xbox one
virgin tivo

I can connect blueray, xbox and virgin to tv hdmi ports and run a hdmi arc to sound bar...does it give out 5.1 for all the devices connected to it via the soundbar ? i mean if the feed is also 5.1, not sure if xbox or virgin(sky movies) comes out in 5.1.......if it does come is the sound bar going to downgrade it to 4.1 ?

connection also available via bluetooth and toshlink , but dont they only output stereo ?

Doe it make a difference connecting blue ray to sound bar since my player got an extra hdmi ?

what about Connecting all the inputs to kinivo 510BN and then connect to soundbar ?

sorry am thinking too much here being a novice to sound.. could anyone guide me to the best set up pls answering my questions above..

Using less remotes will be handy too

thank you for your patience
strawsun1233 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Crash11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Kinivo seems like your best bet. You'll need 5 hdmi cables. 3 for each of your devices into the Kinivo, 1 from the Kinivo to the audio in on the soundbar, and 1 from the audio out of the soundbar to the tv. The literature on the soundbar is kind of weak, but I'm assuming it has the hdmi out to pass through the video to a display.

If you don't use the Kinivo, you're talking about a lot of different cables and a lot of input switching. You'd basically choose whatever device you use the most, pass it through the soundbar with hdmi cables. Then the other devices would get hdmi cables run to the tv for video, and separate audio cables to the other 2 inputs on the soundbar. Everytime you switched a device you'd have to switch the input on the tv and the soundbar.
Crash11 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for your prompt response Crash.

So Kinivo is the easiest option without much switching and 5.1 is coming via hdmi arc for all the devices connected including 3D +1080p ?

The only other port on soundbar is optical so the only changing needed is the hdmi port on tv if i directly connect all devices directly to the tv as you would connect the sound bar via optical. so if 5.1 comes of hdmi arc or optical what benefit is there using kinivo ?

Sorry just checking before I buy a kinivo ...
strawsun1233 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Crash11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawsun1233 View Post
Thank you for your prompt response Crash.
The only other port on soundbar is optical so the only changing needed is the hdmi port on tv if i directly connect all devices directly to the tv as you would connect the sound bar via optical. so if 5.1 comes of hdmi arc or optical what benefit is there using kinivo ?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Are you suggesting you back-feed the audio from the tv to the soundbar?
Crash11 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Are you suggesting you back-feed the audio from the tv to the soundbar?
sorry..I am just trying to see the benefit of having a kinivo

soundbar ports : hdmi in, hdmi out and optical
TV ports : 4 hdmi and optical

so if I connect 3 devices( xbox, virgin and blue ray) to tv and use the hdmi arc to connect to sound bar...wont be I getting a 5.1 surround ?

if am getting roku as well I occupy 4 hdmi ports on tv, will I get 5.1 output connecting the optical between tv and soundbar ?

Above all how do I check if am getting stereo or surround on my 4.1 samsung sound bar ?
strawsun1233 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Crash11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawsun1233 View Post
sorry..I am just trying to see the benefit of having a kinivo

soundbar ports : hdmi in, hdmi out and optical
TV ports : 4 hdmi and optical

so if I connect 3 devices( xbox, virgin and blue ray) to tv and use the hdmi arc to connect to sound bar...wont be I getting a 5.1 surround ?

if am getting roku as well I occupy 4 hdmi ports on tv, will I get 5.1 output connecting the optical between tv and soundbar ?

Above all how do I check if am getting stereo or surround on my 4.1 samsung sound bar ?
I'm not sure how you could test it, but I'm pretty sure you will not get any more than 2 channel audio from your tv. I actually dealt with this exact issue years back and ended up buying an AVR because I found out that tv manufacturers don't like to pay for the rights to output anything more than the 2 channels they already have attached to the tv itself. All of those stickers you see on devices that read "DTS-HD, TrueHD, Dolby Digital, etc" all cost money.
Crash11 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
I'm not sure how you could test it, but I'm pretty sure you will not get any more than 2 channel audio from your tv. I actually dealt with this exact issue years back and ended up buying an AVR because I found out that tv manufacturers don't like to pay for the rights to output anything more than the 2 channels they already have attached to the tv itself. All of those stickers you see on devices that read "DTS-HD, TrueHD, Dolby Digital, etc" all cost money.
Thank you, so it doesnt make a difference really..

so using Kinivo would be handy as it automatically switches to your powered hdmi device as opposed to directly connecting to tv and using remote to change the source ?
strawsun1233 is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off