Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question on decoupled ceiling for a new build

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking and reading as much as possible over the last few months.

I have a quick question and looking for some advice.

Here is a quick overview of what I have and just started doing.

14' x 26' 4" x 8' rectangular theater room in a few year old home. This area was a finish 14 x 22 x 8 media room area by the developer in the basement. Three of the walls are insulated and space a few inches off a pour foundation wall. I opened one 14' wall up to a max distance of 26' 4" for better seating. I will have two rows of three seats first row will be about 13' - 14' from the screen. Rear row about 20 - 21' on a riser. I have a HVAC business so I can get OC QuietR 1" FRK 475 and 2" 1400 along with duct liner at cost so I will be doing panels and bass traps in all four corners.

Seymour center stage xd 130" diagonal 2:35
JVC 4910(just got it from AVS)
Two UXL18 (Waiting on shipping)
Two mini Marty's 80% finished
INuke 6000
Emovita XPA 5 , UPA 7 and a UMC1
I may need to use my current Mirage OM6's and OM-C2 for the front till I decide on the front speakers. Unless they can keep up. I was looking to possible do Triad Bronze dipole side surrounds in columns and there Bronze mono's for the rear. Unless there is a commercially lower cost option that is just as good. Or DIY 1099 for the front and the Volt 10's for surround. Any suggestions are welcome. I haven't decided on a budget on that end but of course cheaper is better.

I don't have plans on tearing the room completely apart and isolating everything with clips. I can except that the room will not be completely sound proof. But I did have to drop the ceiling to modify a duct run in a soffit to make it smaller and the original lighting won't work. So when I dropped the ceiling I noticed that none of the top plates on the three walls are touching the first floor joists ( maybe in 2 or three spots). The fourth wall still need to be built and were the others might be touching I could notch the plate a little. The only contact points are a nail or two every other floor joist.

So here is my question right now. Does anybody think that with just the contact points of the nails the walls are decoupled enough? If so it makes sense to now decouple the ceiling with clips. I would be willing to do the additional work if it is going to help.

I tried to at least get a photo, I hope it attaches correctly.

Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top wall plate.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	194538  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The easiest way to think about sound containment/isolation is to use an aquarium analogy: Glass box - 4 sides, bottom, top.

Any little hole and water will escape.

Sound will do the same thing. Any little contact point or hole -- sound will escape. How much you willing to accept is up to you.

How loud with your HT get? Will you have reference level sound and bass?

John
Old 08-03-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm sure I will be running it close to reference levels from time to time. Most viewing will be at a reasonable levels, I do have a wife .

I guess I just trying to figure out if decoupling the ceiling will help substantially more given the wall plates are not tight against the floor joist other then some nails. Verse just the Roxul that was planned to go into the bays and DD + GG.

Another question on insulating the ceiling cavities, the roxul should be put against the sub floor cavity?

thanks
Old 08-03-2014, 10:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 722
If you have hardwood or tile floors above you may want to consider adding damped mass to the bottom of the subfloor by cutting strips of DW and screwing up with GG between the subfloor and DW and then another layer of DW.

See solution #5 here: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...oof-a-ceiling/

Putting the ceiling on a clip and channel system (room within a room) will certainly help, but your efforts will be compromised by your wall design. If you are still building the new wall, instead of notching it just build it an inch short and attach the top plate with an IB3 clip. BUT you still have the other three walls in this aquarium and they will limit your containment efforts.

If your need to keep sounds out and in is critical (peace in the household) now and for the length of time you expect to live in this house. you may want to bite the bullet, demo the room and rebuild, you can use clips and channel and leave the existing framing as is.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-03-2014 at 02:35 PM.