Research for future home. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-03-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Research for future home.

Hi guys, I will be buying or building a house starting in 6 months or so. My wife and I want a theater "room". (no kids

We used to have one on our old place. It was a basic system on a 13x12 room. It was a 73 inch Mitsubishi, about $1500 worth of Audio. 5.1 with sony speakers and Yamaha receiver. A PS3 and that was pretty much it.

The one thing we didn't like was the fact that we had to "seclude" ourselves on a side room of our home.

This time we want to have the theater experience on our living room. We are thinking about having a 60inch HDTV hanging on the wall with a retractable Projector screen on front for when we are in the Movie mood.

Keep in mind that we also plan to host most all the PPV events and Football games. It wont be a "dedicated"
theater room with 4 squared walls and theater style seating. It will be a living room with a Large custom made Half mood style couch in front and some extra couches on the sides.

So I am here thinking, whats the best way to go about doing a home theater? Should I do it all my self on the new home or once the new home is built. Or... if I have a house built, should I pay an "expert" company to work jointly with the home builders to create the theater together on the blueprints?

Also how good of a theater can I have for, say... a 15k dollar budget? How would a system like this compare to an actual Movie theater/Imax.

I been out of the HI-FI loop for quite a wile. I remember that the THX Ultra2 was my dream system quite a few years ago. Now just looking around this forum... its intimidating. 5.1, 7.1,...... 20 speaker or more on a single room.... its insane for a Noob like my self to take it all in.

What research do you guys recommend I do? What brands, what items, I have a 4k pc monitor yet I have no Idea what 4k monitors are out. If they are even worth it, of if there is any 4k content at all.

Please guys, if you were in My situation, were would you start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I think there is another forum for "Media Rooms" which might be a better place for your post...

I am building my first home theater now, so, this advice is from a relative 'newbie' as well...

If you and your wife want to do the multi-purpose/media room, it seems that working with your builder and likely a company they sub-contract out audio-video type stuff with, would be sufficient. I would guess you won't be getting into a lot of sound proofing, acoustic wall panels, acoustically transparent screens, etc. that a 'dedicated room' would likely involve. It might be slightly more complicated, such as getting maybe working a solution for 'automated blinds' or something like that.

The 15k available, might drive a bit of your 4k resolution or not... most native 4k projectors are pretty expensive, but you could maybe still swing it. I would think if you didn't go 4k, and this is just another room in your house, i.e., most of the structural stuff is paid for as part of the house - then the 15k would be fairly good for AV equipment/speakers/ projector/screen, etc. Obviously, you could spend way more and frankly, could spend a fair bit less - depending how far you want to go..

Thanks!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page