post #1 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
pb2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Running another wire to a projector

Hi,

I'm moving into a new house that has a projector and a small screen in the finished basement. I don't know much about projectors and was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me. Currently, the owner has connections for VGA and component video in a wall panel. Those run up behind the finished wall and inside the finished ceiling, coming out above mounted projector.

- I'd love to use HDMI (so I can use my Chromecast). Is there an easy way to run an HDMI line through the walls to the projector if other wires are already there (can I connect some string, pull something through? Or is that just silly?)?

- The seller has a Sony VPL-AW10 projector. Is this projector any good?

I'm also wondering why the seller or his installer didn't just run HDMI cables in the first place. Seems like a no brainer and this basement was completed less than 10 years ago.

Thanks,
PB2

Last edited by pb2; 08-03-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 06:50 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 676
There is a really small chance you could pull the component cable out with the HDMI attached, following it out, You have to hope there isn't anything thing along the path it could get caught up on. First grab hold of one end and see if it moves at all. Tape up the cable so that every edge that could get caught has a leading taper to keep it from getting hung up. Have someone push from one end to minimize resistance.

If I were trying this Houdini act I would get a Rapid run HDMI cable with the snap off cable ends, it has the smallest diameter cable end you can find.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Since there's almost no chance a vga cable would be used in a HT environment these days, you could probably just remove the wall panel, discon the vga cable, attach it to the hdmi cable(duct tape is your friend here) and pull it thru the other end. There's a lot more to actually doing it, but that's the basic idea.

The BRAVIA VPL-AW10 Projector was discontinued in '08, so it's at the very least, 6yrs old. It's a 720P native LCD pj. LCD's can't hold a candle to even a budget DLP, imo, but the only opinion that really counts is yours. The AW10 does have an hdmi input according to it's specs, so hook up, well, pretty much anything and see if you like the pic. If so, your done. If not, well then my friend, grab your checkbook and welcome to the curse, I mean hobby, of Home Theater

Last edited by domz777; 08-03-2014 at 10:34 PM.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 09:27 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

my bad, I assumed you wanted a new projector.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
my bad, I assumed you wanted a new projector.
He probably will LOL, you got it in 1, as usual
post #6 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter
pb2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the tip - I'll try pulling the HDMI through. Of course, I run the risk of losing the component cable in the process. I assume that if this doesn't work I should just call a professional? How would they do a project like this anyway.

My hope was that I could just use this projector, at least for a few years. If there wasn't already a screen and projector set up in the basement I would probably just buy an LED TV instead.

PB
post #7 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Just another thought, they make wireless HDMI adapters that could be a solution for you. You have to be careful of the distances and obstructions (walls). Read the reviews they don't work for everyone.

As for pro's they have special equipment to help snake wires and remotely drill holes with long flexible drill bit extensions. A lot of times you can't avoid cutting some strategic holes in the drywall, then you run the wires and use the piece you cut out as a patch. Apply drywall compound, sand and paint. If you have textured walls or ceilings that makes it complicated and I personally can't match textures very well.

As mentioned earlier, you might want to use the VGA cable to pull if you want to save the component.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 12:08 PM

yeah - definitely yank the vga, not the comps, you can still use those.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd probably just cut the end off the VGA and tape 2-3 Cat6 lines to it. Without the bulky VGA connector on the end, you could probably pull the thin cat6 lines through fairly easily. Then just use an HDMI transmitter/receiver set.
bluewaves likes this.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page